The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

And you do realise that the letter for speeding should arrive within 15 working days right? (So 3 weeks at the most).
Original post by Rybee
Well, negligent driving and false whiplash claims are the reasons why car insurance is 'so damned expensive'.

Partially.

But having no insurance at all drives it up far more. I can't understand how people can afford a car but not insurance, as if it's optional. If you can't afford insurance - you can't afford the car. It's a package, not a "I'll buy the car now and maybe buy insurance after I kill somebody".

:angry:
Reply 122
Original post by sabian92
I can't understand how people can afford a car but not insurance

Because insurance is often more expensive than the car?
If your from the west midlands all speed cameras have been turned off officially:biggrin:
Reply 124
Original post by MsCourtney
My sister was driving my car and she says she thinks a camera flashed as she passed and she was above the limit. She currently has no license but is going for a test soon.

What will happen from now on? Will I have to pay the fine?

I've already had motor related trouble myself and currently have 4 points for speeding and following an accident I got "Driving without due care and attention" but that was removed after a court battle.

So will I get a fixed penalty notice by mail and have to pay that?

Hope its a Jail for you and your sisters :biggrin: Regards, your fellow motorist!
Reply 125
Won't you get 3 points if you say it was you? Yeah she will get a 2 year ban and points. Even though she had insurance it becomes invalid if not driven under the terms; which is for her to be supervised whilst have a green licence.
Original post by Rybee
Because insurance is often more expensive than the car?

But would you buy a car if you couldn't put fuel in it? Same principle really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If in we're you OP, I would just be honest and take your lumps. Best case scenario is you learn some responsibility and you may become a better driver.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 128
But would you buy a car if you couldn't put fuel in it? Same principle really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A car doesn't work without fuel.
A car works without insurance.

Completely different principle.
Original post by Rybee

Maybe it's just coming from London, where you'd be pulled over within 5minutes without insurance, but whilst it's the same principle you still need insurance to drive on the road, and anyone who's ever been hit by an uninsured driver is going to froth at the mouth when anyone says the things you're saying :yep:
Reply 130
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Maybe it's just coming from London, where you'd be pulled over within 5minutes without insurance, but whilst it's the same principle you still need insurance to drive on the road, and anyone who's ever been hit by an uninsured driver is going to froth at the mouth when anyone says the things you're saying :yep:

My brother was hit by an uninsured driver and his first car was written off.

It was no problem.

I'm not defending the OP, just saying that everyone is on a witch hunt giving the OP useless advice... It's like telling a psychopath not to hurt people.

Waste.

Of.

Breath.
Original post by Rybee

Waste.

Of.

Breath.

That's such a depressing outlook on life :sad:

Forgive me and most others for hoping something might sink in and make this clown realise that she doesn't deserve a license and should get her sister in line.

There's no two ways about it either, what you're actually defending is illegal and fairly strange. I can't help but ask if you actually drive yourself? I hate the car insurance system, it's a joke, but uninsured drivers should be banned for life in my opinion.
Do a Vicky Pryce and take the points for your sister. If she leaves you and goes off with a dyke then take your revenge and you can both go to prison.
Original post by Rybee

A car needs to be insured to be used legally though. If you can't afford tax, do you drive around untaxed? Do you drive around uninsured if you can't afford it? Buying insurance is part of the package of owning a car, if you can't afford insurance, DON'T GET A CAR. It's not a choice. It's a legally required thing.

Getting a service is expensive as well, do you not change bald tyres because "you don't need to, they work perfectly well until they wear down to the carcass"?
(edited 11 years ago)
I didn't get problems for driving without care it was removed as I won the court case.

HOW?!?
Reply 135
Original post by Rybee
My brother was hit by an uninsured driver and his first car was written off.

It was no problem.

I'm not defending the OP, just saying that everyone is on a witch hunt giving the OP useless advice... It's like telling a psychopath not to hurt people.

Waste.

Of.

Breath.

I have a valid license, its not like I did anything significantly wrong. I have already made it clear to my sister that if she ever got caught or something, she would be responsible.

Its not a waste of breath but obviously she is my sister and I don't want her to get into trouble even if it means taking a driving ban on myself. We all make mistakes.
Reply 136
Original post by Goody2Shoes-x
They will send you a letter as you are the owner of the vehicle, asking if you were the driver and if not, let them know who was. I work in the place that gives out fixed penalty notices, I know the procedeure like the back of my hand. It's up to you now - either take the fall and get in trouble, or rat your sister out. She will get in a lot of trouble, but it's also her fault.

Would they bother checking if I take the blame whether I was really driving?
Would they bother checking if I take the blame whether I was really driving?

You don't want to take the responsibility for your sister on this one. If you do this, you're courting jail time, imagine what one glance at your TSR profile alone would tell them. Your sister needs to learn that there's a reason people learn to drive and have to take a test to prove it. Don't keep bailing her out of life, let her screw it up for herself and learn.
Reply 138
A car needs to be insured to be used legally though. If you can't afford tax, do you drive around untaxed? Do you drive around uninsured if you can't afford it? Buying insurance is part of the package of owning a car, if you can't afford insurance, DON'T GET A CAR. It's not a choice. It's a legally required thing.

Getting a service is expensive as well, do you not change bald tyres because "you don't need to, they work perfectly well until they wear down to the carcass"?

Yeah but my point remains... It's a different principle.

You need fuel to run the car.
You do not need insurance to run the car.
At least she was insured I guess, so that won't be another thing for her to be charged with.

Just don't take the blame for her, as perverting the course of justice is much more serious and will likely land you both with a stretch in prison.

I just hope she doesn't want a job that needs a CRB or she's screwed :\

Latest

Trending

Trending