The Student Room Group

"Must have previous experience" in low skilled jobs...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
So... You would only kiss Japanese people?

I was making a comment about how his username is a Japanese mans name.

I have never kissed a Japanese man, so I could not say.
Original post by kiss_me_now9
I was making a comment about how his username is a Japanese mans name.

I have never kissed a Japanese man, so I could not say.

Ah yes, reading back it makes sense. I just thought you were being randomly very selective. :biggrin:
Original post by Juichiro
Why do employers have to be such dicks? I would understand if it was a high skill job but CLEANING???

you don't need it for the job, it's just that there are so many people going for these jobs that the employer can get better people in to do the job.
Is mopping the floor and cleaning toilets something that requires high skill?

According to job descriptions yes in a moment of depredation I was looking for any job and came across a few cleaning jobs for toilets and such like you needed 2 years experience like all other jobs now but there is the problem you need a job for experience and you need experience for a job it's a vicious circle . Do you see
It is annoying when employers demand previous experience for a job, especially for low skilled part time jobs.
The only thing you can do to gain experience is to volunteer although expect to get treated as free labour.

I would just apply anyway and just draw upon your previous experiences that you can relate to the job role.
The worst they can do is reject you, but you never know they might give you a chance.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 25
Yes, the most annoying thing is they require previous experience for low skilled jobs.. A more annoying thing is when an agency calls you and says that the job you've applied for is difficult, which means they don't believe you can do that job.

Or some employers like I've sent off my CV as they were in need of an interpreter and they clearly mentioned YOU DO NOT NEED PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE and that they will take on students. After I sent my CV and got no response, after few days saw the same ad from the same company saying that now YOU DO NEED PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE and diploma in interpreting... I've wasted my time writing cover letter and tailoring my CV to find out how immature the employer was..

Oh and employers who expect you to have good English language skills whereas they clearly make grammar mistakes in their job ads. Especially one agency which constantly makes grammar mistakes in their job ads..
Sometimes this really annoys me. I've nearly applied for so many jobs then read "must have 1 year's experience" for something like waitressing :frown: where, let's face it there aren't a huge range of incredibly demanding skills. I've waitressed before but not for a year! So annoying. I can understand why employers do it, but at the same time it's really frustrating. It's not like applying for a manager's job and wanting managerial experience, that makes a lot more sense. But still. Such is life.
Reply 27
As I'm applying for jobs now (graduate this year) this is something that particularly annoys me. Especially 'admin assistant' jobs where the job description is data entry and basic filing, why the eff do I need previous office experience for that?

Wanted to apply for one earlier (dental receptionist) that required previous dental experience and typing qualifications. 1) Who the **** has typing qualifications nowadays? 2) It said all training provided. So why do you need experience?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, that's funny because if the employers would be smart enough, they should know that we already know how to type or do basic filing... Oh and office jobs that require you to be able to type at least 70 wpm :mmm:
Reply 28
Why do employers have to be such dicks? I would understand if it was a high skill job but CLEANING???

I feel the same. It's really aggravating. What makes it worse is that I have gone out of my way and done voluntary work in several places, that should speak volumes. Choosing to work without getting paid for it.

And sometimes when you apply for jobs it says 'No experience needed' but then they don't get back to you...and you're like. What have I done wrong now? :/
Original post by ForgetMe
Yep, that's funny because if the employers would be smart enough, they should know that we already know how to type or do basic filing... Oh and office jobs that require you to be able to type at least 70 wpm :mmm:

If I know what I'm writing I can type accurately at a very quick rate (word counters online tend to put me about 10 wpm slower than I actually am because I get confused if I'm not fully focusing :rolleyes:) of around 70 wpm but I have no proof of this :dontknow: If I knew how to get that proof I would but nowhere seems to measure it...

Besides, I'm fairly certain that unless you've never used a computer before, wpm increases with confidence and competence of the task.
Reply 30
If I know what I'm writing I can type accurately at a very quick rate (word counters online tend to put me about 10 wpm slower than I actually am because I get confused if I'm not fully focusing :rolleyes:) of around 70 wpm but I have no proof of this :dontknow: If I knew how to get that proof I would but nowhere seems to measure it...

Besides, I'm fairly certain that unless you've never used a computer before, wpm increases with confidence and competence of the task.

Probably there are courses that determine your writing speed. So, have you received any offers for interviews for jobs in admin? :smile:
Original post by ForgetMe
Probably there are courses that determine your writing speed. So, have you received any offers for interviews for jobs in admin? :smile:

Nope, all my experience is in customer facing roles so I don't even get a look in.

So you understand how **** the job is and don't walk out on the first day.
Reply 33
Nope, all my experience is in customer facing roles so I don't even get a look in.

Well, in admin the major aspect is also customer service because you deal with both internal and external people :smile: I have a little bit of admin experience which is not even 1 year but I do apply for ones that I have 0 experience because it's worth a try :smile: Honestly, to work in admin what you need is basic PC skills, teamwork, be good communicator and that's pretty all :smile: What you do in admin, you easily could have gained during uni or even irrelevant job roles :smile:

Typing speed is normally measured during the application process, if they require a certain speed you'll be asked to take part in a typing test which will look at speed as well as accuracy and also you're ability to proof read if relevant. Also Pitman do online tests that give you a qualification, as well as offering loads of other qualifications http://www.pitman-training.com/Courses/typing-and-keyboard-skills-training/e-type-qualification .

45 mins is no time at all to be spending on an application form, try spending multiple days. Copying and pasting answers from your CV will be hindering your success rate massively, employers are looking to see that your answers are not only good but also match the wording of the question well and the only way to do that is to write the answer specifically for that question each time.
Reply 35

Argh I know! I have applied to so many low skilled jobs, like cleaners and they get on their high f-ing horse, and say you must have experience (to clean loos-really?!) or make you go through a long drawn appplication process for like, 4 hours in a stock room per week :s-smilie:

I know what you mean. Cleaning doesnt exactly require much skill. But with the jobs market as it is nowadays, employers can be picky about who they employ. So they can go around saying they want people with experience in that area of work.

Quick Reply

Latest