The Student Room Group

Another one of those cambridge or oxford threads...

Hi :smile: I'm currently in year 11 but have already started deciding what to study at uni. I'm stuck between ppe at oxford and economics at cambridge. Here are the pros and cons of both for me

pros of cambridge:
i want to end up with a career in hedge funds and economics is more associated with this than ppe
From what I've heard Cambridge has a peaceful and green environment. I NEEEED this

Cons of cambridge:
economics at cambridge is not incredibly prestigious (I know this seems ridiculous to say but my parents really want me in the more prestigious of the two)
i miss out on politics and philosophy which I love very much (though dont want to have a career in)

Pros of oxford:
ppe is a very prestigious course (again, I know, seems ridiculous)
i love politics and philosophy (and economics, obviously)

Cons of oxford:
I don't like the idea of a bustling city
my chances of getting into a hedge fund will be lowered

So which should I choose? Thanks for all your help :smile: btw, my heart isn't set on going to oxbridge, this is more for the course than the uni (though it is to do with uni)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
Anyone at all?
Reply 3
One has to remember that it isn't at all easy to get into these institutions, so I wouldn't set your heart on it, as applying will not by any means guarantee you a place.

Also prestige wise I'm sure either course would put you in good standing.
Reply 4
I think you should wait and see what as levels you end up with as these are much more important than GCSEs. Even then, I know people with 11A*s at GCSE at 4 As at AS who didn't get in after interview. I wouldn't set your heart on anything. However, if I were you, I would go with Cambridge :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Molly9
I think you should wait and see what as levels you end up with as these are much more important than GCSEs. Even then, I know people with 11A*s at GCSE at 4 As at AS who didn't get in after interview. I wouldn't set your heart on anything. However, if I were you, I would go with Cambridge :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

By no means do you need all A* at GCSE to get into oxbridge, but as you say the interview is a crucial part of the process.
Do you know what a hedge fund is?

In terms of prestige, Cambridge economics is better than Oxford PPE. This is of course my opinion. Oxford PPE is not a complete degree in my eyes as the course is split to the extent that you do not do any meaningful philosophy or philosophy or politics.

Oxford isn't really the city you make it out to be. It is similar to Cambridge with slightly less green.However, it has a more diverse "civilian" population.
Reply 7
Original post by Dualcore
By no means do you need all A* at GCSE to get into oxbridge, but as you say the interview is a crucial part of the process.

I'm not saying you do, I'm just highlighting the fact that even those with a pretty perfect academic profile get rejected and that Oxbridge is never a sure thing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by hexagon999
Hi :smile: I'm currently in year 11 but have already started deciding what to study at uni. I'm stuck between ppe at oxford and economics at cambridge. Here are the pros and cons of both for me

pros of cambridge:
i want to end up with a career in hedge funds and economics is more associated with this than ppe
From what I've heard Cambridge has a peaceful and green environment. I NEEEED this

Cons of cambridge:
economics at cambridge is not incredibly prestigious (I know this seems ridiculous to say but my parents really want me in the more prestigious of the two)
i miss out on politics and philosophy which I love very much (though dont want to have a career in)

Pros of oxford:
ppe is a very prestigious course (again, I know, seems ridiculous)
i love politics and philosophy (and economics, obviously)

Cons of oxford:
I don't like the idea of a bustling city
my chances of getting into a hedge fund will be lowered

So which should I choose? Thanks for all your help :smile: btw, my heart isn't set on going to oxbridge, this is more for the course than the uni (though it is to do with uni)

Ok first of all, a degree from either uni will give you a good chance but will not guarantee a job at a hedge fund and so just pick the course which you think you will enjoy the most. In my opinion an econ degree at cambridge may set you up slightly better as it will be more quantative. Secondly,you mention a you don't want to go to oxford since it is a bustling city yet you want to work at a hedge fund which will be in a bustling city????
Reply 9
Original post by Sun_Bear
Ok first of all, a degree from either uni will give you a good chance but will not guarantee a job at a hedge fund and so just pick the course which you think you will enjoy the most. In my opinion an econ degree at cambridge may set you up slightly better as it will be more quantative. Secondly,you mention a you don't want to go to oxford since it is a bustling city yet you want to work at a hedge fund which will be in a bustling city????

Don't get me wrong, I love bustling cities! It's just I need some time in a field before thrusting myself into the world of buisness :tongue: btw, just on a prestigious level, which of the two courses is better?
Reply 10
Don't get me wrong, I love bustling cities! It's just I need some time in a field before thrusting myself into the world of buisness :tongue: btw, just on a prestigious level, which of the two courses is better?

I would say they are fairly equal but they prepare you better for different jobs
Reply 11
-When you start your AS year it will proberly come more clear to you however concentrate on your GCSEs
-but your don't need 11A*s to get in, GCSE as long as you have A*s at GCSE with strong As at AS you have a good chance but it mostly importantly what you do aswell as a-levels so your activities relating to subject e.g. work experience and your wider reading of subject, that is the difference

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Both courses are of course excellent, but might be worth considering that for many areas of banking maths/physics/computer science are preferred to economics, as they have more hard core maths and programming. (If you have researched the area you want to work in and know they prefer economics then just ignore me!)
Both of the uni's are prestigious so you'll have a great experience at either. I think PPE would be better over just Economics, a nice variety of your 3 favourite subjects.
Reply 14
Original post by ffrann
Both courses are of course excellent, but might be worth considering that for many areas of banking maths/physics/computer science are preferred to economics, as they have more hard core maths and programming. (If you have researched the area you want to work in and know they prefer economics then just ignore me!)

Do you think that a hedge fund would overly prefer economics over ppe
Reply 15

Yes, as it has more mathematical content. (And the PP part isn't really relevant to hedge fund management anyway.) But you might well change your mind about what you want to do for a career during uni anyway!

Economics but I'd imagine something more mathematical/software based would be preferred.
Reply 17
Your year 11, just sit down and finish your gcses. You should be looking into universities mid way of AS when you develop a greater sense if where your at with grades in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Jkizer
Your year 11, just sit down and finish your gcses. You should be looking into universities mid way of AS when you develop a greater sense if where your at with grades in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But this heavily affects my a-level choice... For ppe: history, maths, economics, philosophy; for economics: maths, further maths, economics, philosophy
Reply 19
But this heavily affects my a-level choice... For ppe: history, maths, economics, philosophy; for economics: maths, further maths, economics, philosophy

I don't think it's as dire as you think! If you take maths, further maths, history and one of philosophy and economics, I think you would be well prepared for either. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest