The Student Room Group

Not enough ucas points!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
So you'd come under a mature student would t you? So they look at experience rather than just the ucas points? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by kmcgowan13
So you'd come under a mature student would t you? So they look at experience rather than just the ucas points? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

At 21 they won't generally start lowering requirements much. It's worth asking, but unlikely

Sent from my GT-S5363
Reply 23
What age do they? I'm 27 this year and really hope they'll take my NVQs plus experience

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RiaChiceera91
What's an as? Iv never heard of it... And I don't know how many points iv got but I need to get 260 xx

An AS is the first year of a levels. If the requirements for the nursing course don't specify (which they usually do) then you could do one in a subject you think is relevant.

You should go on UCAS search now and check some requirements of the Universities that interest you.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hopefully, why can't things just be straight forward xx

It is straight forward but it requires you asking the university you want to go to what qualifications they would want you to do.

You can get ucas tariff points for music practical exams and horse care - neither would help you get entry to a nursing degree.

Forget racking up random tariff points, contacting your college or asking people on TSR - RING UP the university offering the nursing course you would like to do, explain your circumstances and current qualifications and ask IF and WHAT they would like you to study for entry to their program.
Original post by kmcgowan13
What age do they? I'm 27 this year and really hope they'll take my NVQs plus experience

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll probably be fine. The uni I'm going to in September accepted me based on my experience because I didn't have enough UCAS points and I'm 23 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PQ
It is straight forward but it requires you asking the university you want to go to what qualifications they would want you to do.

You can get ucas tariff points for music practical exams and horse care - neither would help you get entry to a nursing degree.

Forget racking up random tariff points, contacting your college or asking people on TSR - RING UP the university offering the nursing course you would like to do, explain your circumstances and current qualifications and ask IF and WHAT they would like you to study for entry to their program.

I second this...

Also most nursing courses I applied to this year asked for 3 GCSE's ...

I did my access course via the distance learning centre and can take gcse equivalents at the same time if that helps? You can do it in time for Sept 2014 entry too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
I'm going to go enquire next week so ill let you know! I rang the college and because I don't have a-c in maths and English I can't go on the access corse cause you can't do it along side them, but I'm guna go into uni and see what my options are xx
I'm going to go enquire next week so ill let you know! I rang the college and because I don't have a-c in maths and English I can't go on the access corse cause you can't do it along side them, but I'm guna go into uni and see what my options are xx

You can if you do Access through the Distance Learning Centre!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Iv never heard of that before do they do that in hull?
It's distance learning - so you can do if anywhere!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Iv never heard of that before do they do that in hull?

You might find you struggle with distance learning as you'll be trying to complete an Access course and some GCSEs on your own. That's a lot of work and you'll have to be very motivated and good at working on your own. You do get help with distance learning, but won't be seeing a tutor face to face or attending lessons.

Posted from Juno's amazing phone
Original post by Juno
You might find you struggle with distance learning as you'll be trying to complete an Access course and some GCSEs on your own. That's a lot of work and you'll have to be very motivated and good at working on your own. You do get help with distance learning, but won't be seeing a tutor face to face or attending lessons.

Posted from Juno's amazing phone

Agreed, you have to set you own deadlines and motivate yourself to meet them although you get Skype, phone calls and emails when you need help...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Oh god I don't wana be doing that! And I looked it up there bloody expensive x
Hi,
I'm only 22, I don't have the required UCAS points to get onto a nursing course but I have been in discussions with various Unis and they said as long as i have 1 years care experience can be classed as a mature student, they will consider my work experience along with the qualifications I have, I am currently doing a degree but in a totally unrelated field and I may not get a great result from that, I also know someone who has gone onto a nursing course with no qualifications at 22 with just 3 years experience in a care home and was accepted as a mature student, some uni's are more accepting of mature students than others, it you know where you want to study I can tell you which ones are the best for considering people in your situation :smile:
I have rang the college and they said I can go on the access course but have to have A-C in maths and English to get on it which I don't have so it would have to be a ore access corse to get on the access course! Just seams loads of messing about and loads of time I just want to get on with it! It's all so complicated :frown:
thank you xx

Should you be handling peoples lives if you can't pass GCSE maths or English? Not bein rude or a penis but I wouldn't want sonee handling my health if they can't even do that...
Reply 37
What's maths and english got to do with looking after someone! I don't have an a in maths but I'm bloody good I job!! I'm trying to find out what my otptions are I don't need comments like that thank!!!

And that's good, I wana go to hull uni xxx
What's maths and english got to do with looking after someone! I don't have an a in maths but I'm bloody good I job!! I'm trying to find out what my otptions are I don't need comments like that thank!!!

And that's good, I wana go to hull uni xxx

Maths and English has an awful lot to do with nursing unfortunately which is why you have compulsory tests at your interview.

Nurses make drug calculations every shift and have to do these accurately to safeguard the patient and every time the nurse has contact with a patient it has to be noted down, therefore if you can't write coherently other nurses that have taken over from you after handover will not know what has happened and been administered before you left and you wouldn't be there to tell them. This could lead to over doses, a patient not received the extra observation they need etc.

Em x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending