The Student Room Group

anyone want to learn Japanese?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Music99
Typo :P.

Ha, oh right :smile:
Yeah I would like to start learning Japanese along with Korean and Chinese. I have no idea where to go about learning it though think would prefer more of an evening class or something but no idea where does it, online possibly but just not overly keen

If anyone has some suggestions of sites or anything
Original post by scorpion95
Yeah I would like to start learning Japanese along with Korean and Chinese. I have no idea where to go about learning it though think would prefer more of an evening class or something but no idea where does it, online possibly but just not overly keen

Look out for language schools. Mine is and we had evening classes. People from outside the school could come as well. Unfortunately, we don't have a Japanese teacher anymore.
Reply 123

1). Get remembering the kanji by James W Hesig
2). Check out teach yourself/ Assimil
3). Check out All Japanese All the time
4). Try out Lingq (awesome website).
Reply 124
Asking a British person to learn another language? Don't make me laugh!

No but seriously. I would love to learn Japanese as an anime fan, but it looks so difficult. Even when you've learn't it, you can NEVER fully integrate or understand Japanese people. Their social code is basically impossible to learn.
Reply 125
Original post by Hgat
Asking a British person to learn another language? Don't make me laugh!

No but seriously. I would love to learn Japanese as an anime fan, but it looks so difficult. Even when you've learn't it, you can NEVER fully integrate or understand Japanese people. Their social code is basically impossible to learn.

That sentiment is complete rubbish Japanese isn't that hard. The characters are a hurdle admittedly but are fun to learn. There social code really isn't impossible to learn, I don't know where you got that from.
I didn't mean read the jap subs while watching the anime; not pro enough for that yet lol :biggrin:

It can be read separately with Microsoft Word.
Reply 127
Original post by Sarahftw_
I hope so too, and yeah that's true. Idek if i'll watch it if it doesn't get dubbed tbh.

ahh i'm just impatient man. I'm so tempted to not wait for Stein's gate to be dubbed this summer, and i've already seen xros wars.
Reply 128

Rosetta Stone is really good :smile:
I did French while learning Japanese

Japanese is easier in my opinion

I've heard that the actual structure of the Japanese language is much more logical than most languages, it's just the alphabets that are annoying to learn when I'm doing 4 A2s and an AS >.<
Original post by Anime Lover
I've heard that the actual structure of the Japanese language is much more logical than most languages, it's just the alphabets that are annoying to learn when I'm doing 4 A2s and an AS >.<

o.o how many exams do you have?!

Leave Japanese until summer or something!
o.o how many exams do you have?!

Leave Japanese until summer or something!

Umm well including General Studies (which actually makes it 5 A2s) I have 11 exams! >.< Yeah, I think leaving it until summer is for the best XD
Original post by Anime Lover
Umm well including General Studies (which actually makes it 5 A2s) I have 11 exams! >.< Yeah, I think leaving it until summer is for the best XD

Woah, good luck :smile:
Woah, good luck :smile:

Thanks, I'll need it! :tongue:
Reply 134
Original post by Music99
:wink:. どうですか?

Through school and now University! I would send you a nice Japanese reply but tsr gets funny with a long string of japanese ごめん
Reply 135
I've accepted an offer to study Japanese (and linguistics) at Edinburgh university. I'm so excited about learning it, especially after going to the post offer day and meeting the staff and current students who were all very nice.

Will need to brush up on hiragana and then make a start on katakana over summer, which should be fairly straightforward.
Original post by Music99
Character wise yes, but that's it.

Ahh, okay, thanks!

Original post by seyrose
Spoken they are VERY different.
Chinese is tonal, meaning the way you tone in which you pronounce each word greatly affects the meaning. It's probably the hardest thing about speaking Chinese in my opinion, once you get your head around the grammar it's not so bad.
Japanese isn't tonal. Japan also has 3 different "alphabets" including Kanji which comes from Chinese. Some characters overlap in meaning.

My Chinese friend was telling us about some Chinese words the other week, and it was two words that were the same they just sounded different, and had totally different meanings! It's really complex
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 137
Original post by RemiMarcelle
Ahh, okay, thanks!

My Chinese friend was telling us about some Chinese words the other week, and it was two words that were the same they just sounded different, and had totally different meanings! It's really complex

It's okay once you get use to the sounds of the language.
Reply 138
Original post by RemiMarcelle
Ahh, okay, thanks!

It is pretty complex when you just hear words out of the blue, but when they're used in a context it's much easier to guess which one it is :smile: (assuming that you know the words already)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Bambirina
It is pretty complex when you just hear words out of the blue, but when they're used in a context it's much easier to guess which one it is :smile: (assuming that you know the words already)

Hi there,

I see you decided on Manchester after all. What changed your mind? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending