The Student Room Group

driving licence in 10 weeks?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
As people have already said its dependent on your ability, how fast you learn ,your confidence and how many hours of driving you are doing as opposed to how many weeks.

I started driving at the beginning of May and Passed Mid October on my second attempt and I was having between 2-4 hrs a week. I think I must have had between 40-45hrs altogether.

You also have to take in consideration the waiting list to take your practical test- I had to wait 4 weeks to retake my driving test.
And also, if you dont already know, you have to pass your theory test before you can book your practical test, so get it done ASAP-
Most people I know of take 20 lessons over a 3-6 month period. I took 4 months and 23 lessons because I changed instructor halfway through. The first 15 would tend to be 1 hour lessons and the last 5 are usually mocks and are 2 hours.

Although I practiced driving once or twice a week while I was learning driving my parents everywhere, be cautious though in regards to your parents tuition. A lot of the time they will tell you things that are perfectly correct but will miss out things. My dad didn't like shuffle steering for instance and told me to do it whatever way I was comfortable with, that's something you do after you pass your test, not before! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
It's possible, but you need to be confident that you're good enough to a) pass and b) drive on the road on your own without causing issues for yourself and other drivers. So basically all that comes down to the amount of lessons you've had in those 10 weeks and how quickly you pick things up

Posted from TSR Mobile
10 weeks is entirely possible. I passed in just over 3 months and many have done it in a shorter time than that.

I did a 2 hour lesson once a week, although this increased a little bit as I neared the test. It will ultimately depend on the ability of your instructor as well as your availability and ability to learn. Look for reviews off friends for instructors in your area, but also check out their background - An ADI Level 6 instructor is the highest standard they can have.

I didn't book my theory test immediately after turning 17, but it can take a few weeks and this will ultimately dictate when you can go on to do the test, so don't leave it too late. I'd leave it a couple of weeks before booking just so that you can get used to driving a little bit and it may give you a little more perspective when answering the questions. It's entirely possible to fail the theory test because of the idiotic system they use to test you (hazard perception, which has little or no relevance to actual driving ability) so leave enough time in case you do have to do it again. I narrowly passed, but it's an awful test.

If you can drive another car whilst taking lessons (such as a parent's car with provisional insurance) then you may be able to learn faster, although I don't really trust the ability of parents or friends to instruct someone how to drive.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
From the first time I drove to doing my theory and passing my practical was 5 weeks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cooldudeman
is it possible to do this? this is theory included.
i want to get mine in the summer and get it over and done, i wouldn't like it if it carried on until i start uni.

people say chances would be slim.

I did it in a crash course style over 2 weeks, but it was expensive because I didn't really have a chance to practice outside lessons so I ended up having more lessons than expected so it cost me maybe 50% again than if I had done it over a longer time.
Reply 26
Original post by dotty_but_good
I did it in a crash course style over 2 weeks, but it was expensive because I didn't really have a chance to practice outside lessons so I ended up having more lessons than expected so it cost me maybe 50% again than if I had done it over a longer time.

would i be able to drive my mate's car in a deserted car park or something? just for extra practice? lol im getting the vibe that it will be illegal to do so.
depends on how easily you pick it up, remember that most centres have a practical test waiting list of 4-6 weeks though.

i've been learning for about 7 months,a family issue caused me to cancel one test and i had my first test cancelled due to the weather. Then i finally got to sit it and failed :unimpressed: i'm a **** driver though :lol:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cooldudeman
would i be able to drive my mate's car in a deserted car park or something? just for extra practice? lol im getting the vibe that it will be illegal to do so.

Well that is private land (as long as it isn't a council carpark) so you can't be prosecuted by the police for driving offences but I guess you could be for trespassing
Original post by Clip
What happened to all those places where you just did your lessons solidly for a whole week or two, and took your test at the end? Used to be all the rage.

They're called intensive driving courses and many driving schools do still offer them. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending