The Student Room Group

A-Level Maths Distant Learning

Hi

currently am deciding which A-Level Maths im going to study over the next year and I could do with some advice please, for example, I know I have to take Core maths with either mechanics, statistics or decision, but to be honest none of those really interest me and I would go as far to say that none of them are my strong points, however, I see that there is a option to take Pure Maths (See the link) http://www.ncchomelearning.co.uk/puremathsalevelstandardorfasttrack-product-764.html
The main reason I feel this would be the correct path for me to take is that I really like Algebra, Trigonometry, Complex numbers etc so what I'd like to know is, do you think that Pure maths if a bit to much for me to do in 1 year, for instance I'd have to do all them in the June Exam period as no January exams are available anymore :frown: or do you advice me to spread it over a two year period?

Or shall I completely forget pure maths and stick to mechanics, statistics or decision? . I only have a B in GCSE but that was self taught coming from a key skilled level 2 knowledge of maths.

any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Jcharnley
Hi

currently am deciding which A-Level Maths im going to study over the next year and I could do with some advice please, for example, I know I have to take Core maths with either mechanics, statistics or decision, but to be honest none of those really interest me and I would go as far to say that none of them are my strong points, however, I see that there is a option to take Pure Maths (See the link) http://www.ncchomelearning.co.uk/puremathsalevelstandardorfasttrack-product-764.html
The main reason I feel this would be the correct path for me to take is that I really like Algebra, Trigonometry, Complex numbers etc so what I'd like to know is, do you think that Pure maths if a bit to much for me to do in 1 year, for instance I'd have to do all them in the June Exam period as no January exams are available anymore :frown: or do you advice me to spread it over a two year period?

Or shall I completely forget pure maths and stick to mechanics, statistics or decision? . I only have a B in GCSE but that was self taught coming from a key skilled level 2 knowledge of maths.

any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

If pure maths is your thing , then go for it. I would say that the pure modules are much more challenging than anything you'll have seen at GCSE. You have to take some pure Maths to get an A-Level, unless you do a Stats a level
Reply 2
Thanks for your advice but what about the time period.... The new change in exam times is a big put-off. I'd feel confident if the January exams where still available
Reply 3
Thanks for your advice but what about the time period.... The new change in exam times is a big put-off. I'd feel confident if the January exams where still available

I'm going to have to take 6 modules of Further Maths next year in June. If you cover the content, and get plenty of practice in it won't be a problem. The key thing is to stay calm and not worry - having a bad day will be the biggest problem.

Just to double check before I answer, your plan would be to do all 6 modules on that page in a year. (The course content looks good to me, I would enjoy that).
Reply 5
Original post by TheIrrational
Just to double check before I answer, your plan would be to do all 6 modules on that page in a year. (The course content looks good to me, I would enjoy that).

Yes all the 6 modules in one year, sitting the exams in June or whenever they are, not through choice tho... ideally i'd of loved for the January sittings to still be available but :frown:
Reply 6
It depends on what you find easier and enjoy. I'm doing distance learning for maths and I chose pure maths as I don't like mechanics or stats. As for doing all your exams at one time, that's exactly what I'm doing this year, AS in May and A2 in June. If you can keep your head and down and learn (unlike me) then you should be fine.
Yes all the 6 modules in one year, sitting the exams in June or whenever they are, not through choice tho... ideally i'd of loved for the January sittings to still be available but :frown:

I did 9 maths modules in my A2 year and 3 were self taught, and it was a lot of work even with a teacher.

I think you may struggle a bit but with a lot of work there is no reason it isn't possible, it's just a big leap from B in GCSE to doing series, limits and differential equations with a year!

You will never know really how possible it is until you do it, I would say it is possible but will require a lot of work because it is a big leap!
Reply 8
FP1 is a little more difficult than Core 1/2. FP3 is a bigger challenge and I think much more challenging than Core3/Core4.
Doing 2 applications units (e.g. Stats 1 and Mechanics 1) would be an easier route to a better final grade.
Reply 9
OK I think I'll do pure maths then but if i start struggling i'll do it over the two years instead of the one. Or like Gdunne42 advised to change the last module into something a bit easier.

Thank you everyone for the advice :smile:

I'm sure you'll hear from me again
Reply 10
OK I think I'll do pure maths then but if i start struggling i'll do it over the two years instead of the one. Or like Gdunne42 advised to change the last module into something a bit easier.

Thank you everyone for the advice :smile:

I'm sure you'll hear from me again

If you decide it's too tough you'd have to change FP1 and FP3 to complete a regular maths A level instead of a pure maths A level.
Another thing to look at is finding an exam centre for the exams as a private candidate, the number of centres offering AQA A level FP3 maths may be limited in your area.
Reply 11
Im guessing there is a FP2 ?
Reply 12
There is an FP2 but on Edexcel imho it's way harder than FP3. Don't know if that's true for AQA
(edited 11 years ago)
Im guessing there is a FP2 ?

On AQA FP1 and FP3 is the way to go imo
Reply 14
what about this one http://www.ool.co.uk/subject/a-level-pure-mathematics - its AQA

This includes FP2. to be honest I only noticed that the last link included FP3 when you guys pointed it out.

I think FP2 instead of FP3 would be better for me.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest