The Student Room Group

End of university themed parties such as 'Geeks and 'Sluts' and 'Rappers and Slappers

Themed university parties and pub crawls with titles such as 'geeks and sluts' or 'rappers and slappers ' could soon be banned, it was revealed today.
Student leaders are planning a 'zero tolerance' policy in a bid crack down on the growing sexist behaviour on the campus.
At next week's National Union of Students annual conference, a motion will target the lads' culture particularly the behaviour of university sports teams.

Party time: Hundreds of young students take part in the notorious Carnage bar crawl given the title 'Pimps and Hoes' in Cardiff
Fuelled by alcohol, the rugby, football and other sports players catcall and grope women in campus bars, while some male students undress themselves.

They should face disciplinary action, claim union members, who will be meeting in Sheffield to debate the 'horrific normalisation of sexist attitudes and sexual pressure' on female students.
The motion, reported by The Times, also calls for the promotional companies which organise the events to be vetted so they comply with rules that ensure a 'safe space for women.'

Fun night: Students enjoy a social evening, but some university students are victims of growing campus sexism
It says: 'The process will involve making sure that the company in question is non-discriminative towards women and that their promotional material does not promote lad culture.'

Although the vote if carried will not be binding on student unions, it is expected to pressurise them into falling into line.
The move follows research by the NUS published last month which suggested widespread sexist behaviour by heavy-drinking male students who indulge in a 'pack culture.'

Academics at Sussex University spoke in depth to 40 women students. Some claimed they had been heckled by male students during lectures, groped in nightclubs and chanted at by members of sports teams.
Chloe Winden, who will move the motion, said many women were uncomfortable with fliers advertising freshers' week parties with themes like 'Pimps and hoes'.

The student from the University of Central Lancashire told The Times: 'Pimps and hoes shouldn't be used. It's despicable. It is derogatory and almost glamorises things like that.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2304910/End-themed-university-parties-like-Geeks-sluts-rappers-slappers-student-union-cracks-down.html#ixzz2PrkdkQrR

So what does the community of TSR think of this?

I personally think this is stupid. Why is it that the guys always get the blame? When I see nights like this when I'm out, I don't see the females complaining one bit!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That's ridiculous. Its playing upon conventional stereotypes as a means of making fun of it, and if affects both genders not just women. If women do want to join in as well as men then what's the problem? The only ones getting pissy are the ones who can't stand having someone else having a different opinion from them.
Reply 2
I'm sure the opinions and threats of the NUS will stop all of this young and upstanding men and women from participating in these parties and pub crawls. :rolleyes:
Reply 3
Good. It's one thing for private establishments to hold whatever parties they wish, but anything endorsed by NUS or individual Student Unions should be safe spaces. It makes the SUs look bad, and its just unnecessary - of all the fancy dress party themes out there, what does it say about them that they chose one which demeans women?
Reply 4
:yawn: What a ridiculous and one-sided story.

Men are pressured into sex.
Women are pressured into sex.
Men and women go to the events, lectures, drinking and make derogatory comments about the opposite gender and their own gender.
Men and women grope men and women.

This is especially true of students because for the majority of them it is their first taste of freedom and they take full advantage of it before growing out of it and settling down. The ones that don't make the choice not to.

****ing hell, the people voting at these things must be boring as ****.
Reply 5
Do universities have nightclubs? If not how is being groped there a result of university men? And is 40 women enough people to make the conclusion that all women feel terrible and unsafe at clubs?
It won't make a blind bit of difference, the same teams and socs will organise the same nights they just won't be official or receive union funding. It would just make things even worse as there will be unofficial nights and events, removing the Union from the equation completely.
Reply 7
Original post by bottled
Do universities have nightclubs? If not how is being groped there a result of university men? And is 40 women enough people to make the conclusion that all women feel terrible and unsafe at clubs?

Yes, many do. Local nightclubs also often have 'NUS' nights where you have to be a student to enter.

The study was an in-depth qualitative one so it is unlikely to be representative of the female student population. However, if it was a large scale quantitative study the data wouldn't have been as rich and as interesting as it is, so it's a trade off they had to made. Although 40 women isn't a lot, it is still enough to show what is going on inside universities, and I think most of us who go to/went to university recently will recognise the culture they are talking about.
Reply 8
As a female myself I dont see these themed parties as repressive or anything at all, I personally think people are just overthinking things like this too much to the point where its getting a little out of touch.
Reply 9
When will people learn that you can't truly change anyone's attitude by bludgeoning them into it?

Not that you necessarily need to - most of this stuff is harmless fun. They wouldn't make events like these if the guys and girls didn't want them to, not to mention the fact this stuff is completely voluntary. From what I've seen these events are known for their notoriety, hence the people who don't want to get involved will know full well to steer clear. Seriously, things like this are exactly why people are sick of these patronising student groups.
Whilst its true they might be derogatory, the moment we are controlled in what we can and can't wear is the moment it's not worth it anymore. To be honest girls at these kind of parties wear more than most normal nights out in Manchester anyway :giggle:
(edited 11 years ago)
Calling it a "lads culture" is pretty one sided. That said I don't think it would make a difference. Whoever is making this decision clearly is biased in one way or another.
What rubbish, women enjoy nights out way, way more than men do.
Reply 13
Original post by edithwashere
Good. It's one thing for private establishments to hold whatever parties they wish, but anything endorsed by NUS or individual Student Unions should be safe spaces. It makes the SUs look bad, and its just unnecessary - of all the fancy dress party themes out there, what does it say about them that they chose one which demeans women?

What's wrong with a private establishment running their own themed parties? If you don't like it then don't go, simple. And you're ignoring that women partake in these events as well as the fact that it 'demeans' men. If you're going to be one sided about it then you don't really care about the sexism aspect of it.
Original post by Kiss
What's wrong with a private establishment running their own themed parties? If you don't like it then don't go, simple. And you're ignoring that women partake in these events as well as the fact that it 'demeans' men. If you're going to be one sided about it then you don't really care about the sexism aspect of it.

I don't see how being a pimp or a rapper is as demeaning as being a slapper or a hoe. Can you explain?

And my point was that private establishments CAN and DO hold such parties, and that's fine. It's when it's university endorsed that I don't agree with it.
Original post by Kiss

How does 'geeks and sluts', 'rappers and slappers' and 'pimps and hoes' demean men? It is nearly always the women who are in the demeaning position which is the issue here.
I keep hearing the argument that women have the choice to take part (and men too, but it's the women who are focused on) but I don't really think it's the case. You kind of have three options:
Go and take part (could result in you feeling disgusted at yourself etc.)
Go and don't take part (which in the situation of a sports club or whatever will probably lead to you being alienated and was part of the reason I quit the pool team)
Or don't go (which isn't fun, and can also lead to you being alienated).

By removing the genders from the two options given by the title (Angels and Devils was a Carnage theme last year wasn't it? That doesn't promote one gender being more 'sexed up' than the other) it promotes a proper choice where any woman or man can choose which of the two options they want instead of feeling like they're forced into what they're not comfortable with or alienated for not doing it. I don't know if this is strictly what they're doing, but it makes sense.
And a lot of people are making the comment that it's only a few women that are bothered, well this doesn't affect the ones that aren't bothered. They can still fancy dress as they like and dress as 'hoes' or whatever, just it'll be called something that doesn't imply that it has to be the women that dress like that and makes the women who are complaining and uncomfortable happy.
I don't see how this is anything but a win-win tbh...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by edithwashere
I don't see how being a pimp or a rapper is as demeaning as being a slapper or a hoe. Can you explain?

It's still a stereotype.

And my point was that private establishments CAN and DO hold such parties, and that's fine. It's when it's university endorsed that I don't agree with it.

No it wasn't, you said it yourself:

"It's one thing for private establishments to hold whatever parties they wish...."

Now what does that imply?

Original post by ArtGoblin
How does 'geeks and sluts', 'rappers and slappers' and 'pimps and hoes' demean men? It is nearly always the women who are in the demeaning position which is the issue here.

Well it presupposes that only men can be 'geeks', 'pimps' or 'rappers' and can't be sluts or hoes. You're looking at it from a solitary angle that only affects women. I agree that it can be construed as offensive and can demean women but since you're so inclined to a one sided perspective I'm afraid I'll have to agree to disagree, though coming from you I'm not so surprised since you don't give two ****s about how sexism affects men as well.
Original post by Kiss

"It's one thing for private establishments to hold whatever parties they wish...."

That that thing contrasts with the next thing she's about to say, which is that it's bad if unis do it, therefore it's okay for private establishments.
Original post by Kiss
It's still a stereotype.

Not one that defines you in a derogatory term as a sex object, though.

Original post by Kiss

:confused: What do you think it implies? "It's one thing for private establishments to hold whatever parties they wish, BUT it's another thing when it's university endorsed." My point was that I think the NUS is right in distancing itself from such events, should people confuse them with endorsing such behaviour and language. Private establishments can do what they like.

Original post by Kiss
Well it presupposes that only men can be 'geeks', 'pimps' or 'rappers' and can't be sluts or hoes. You're looking at it from a solitary angle that only affects women. I agree that it can be construed as offensive and can demean women but since you're so inclined to a one sided perspective I'm afraid I'll have to agree to disagree, though coming from you I'm not so surprised since you don't give two ****s about how sexism affects men as well.

I got turned away from a geeks and sluts party at uni for dressing as a geek. Just sayin'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending