The Student Room Group

Do you have a TV in your student room?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Flax
How come? I think that it's quite relaxing to watch an hour of TV after a stressful day. I don't see what's wrong about that?:confused:

Wasn't saying anything was wrong with it, just most students are busy with other things and therefore are unlikely to watch programmes live. I think when I'm eating dinner thats about the only time I watch live tv.
It is not common.

Not for a medical student for sure.
I didn't have one in halls, but I have one in my flat now. Licence paid.
Reply 23
well in halls usually no. You probably have a common area with your flatmates that hopefully has a TV, or you can wait until in seconds year, preferably when your in a house with your closest friends cuz you will all have a longer commitment to the house than your halls.

Anyway, I know a couple people that took their TV and their xbox 360 and decided to use online gold membership (£50/year) instead of a TV license, it's a bit cheaper and u get free netflix to watch new, foreign or exclusive TV shows.

Some things (like the premier league) just have to be watched, no questions asked. so you can stream live events on your computer from untold amountd of free sources or scoot down the pub, mate!
I'm planning to take mine, I can't work in silence I need it for background noise. Got a cable to link it to my laptop and can use it as an extra screen, I can flick programmes between screens so put something on iPlayer or 4OD, flick it across to the tv and still use my laptop for research or whatever :smile:
Reply 25
Student room or flat? In our flat we have one. Not in my room tho; altho sometimes it'd be good if I did.
Original post by hrbrox
I'm planning to take mine, I can't work in silence I need it for background noise. Got a cable to link it to my laptop and can use it as an extra screen, I can flick programmes between screens so put something on iPlayer or 4OD, flick it across to the tv and still use my laptop for research or whatever :smile:

Is it just a cable that does that? I want me one of these cables haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Would it be legal for me to have a tv just for gaming? Technically I wouldn't have to pay a tv license right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
it wouldn't cost anything to get a tv just to use a dvd player would it?
I had my TV in my room but it was only for Xbox/DVDs/Netflix tbh.
I do, it works as my 2nd monitor as well, I don't bother with a TV license.
I have one just for my PS1. Which I don't play anymore because I have an injury in my hands. No idea why I haven't asked my dad to take it away when he comes up for a visit...
Original post by hannahlsmith
Is it just a cable that does that? I want me one of these cables haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup! I have a macbook so have a mini display port to hdmi cable. Just googled it, for a windows laptop have a look at this http://whatlaptop.techradar.com/2012/04/connect_laptop_monito/ :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by Vicodin
it wouldn't cost anything to get a tv just to use a dvd player would it?

Original post by krazie.x
Would it be legal for me to have a tv just for gaming? Technically I wouldn't have to pay a tv license right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right, you only need a TV license to watch live TV. It's about what you do, not what devices you own.

Reue has all the answers regarding TV licensing :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=598313

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Watching already aired shows on iplayer/4od etc is fine, what you cannot do is watch live tv via iplayer without a licence

Personally I don't have a tv and watch everything through iplayer, sure I miss out on a bit of tv but overall its fine
if I had a tv im never in at the correct time, so id end up using iplayer anyway.
Reply 35
It varies. This year in halls some of us have TVs in our rooms but just use them for our games consoles, with all of us using iPlayer etc on laptops if we want to watch TV programmes. Next year I'll be in a student house where we'll have freeview in the lounge because out of 5 of us I was the only one to vote against it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending