The Student Room Group

"Scon" or "Scone"?

Poll

"Scon" or "Scone"?

I'm not going to mention the fact that one of the options involves having to spell the word differently :wink:

How do you think it should be said?

Obviously, I opt for "Scone".

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Scone definitely
Reply 2
So by that logic you would pronounce "gone" the same way?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
But always with Cream and jam or not?
Original post by Stevo F
So by that logic you would pronounce "gone" the same way?

English pronunciation has no logic lol...
How would you pronounce "cone"?

For me, "scone" is just a word I try and avoid saying. "Pass me the round bready thing please" :colondollar:
Scone.
If it was spelt differently, I would repeat the joke my friend told me;
'What's the fastest cake in the world? SCON'!
Reply 6
I read that as Scon or Scon, was wondering why it was a question until I remembered people use the other pronunciation.

But the bigger question as far as I am concerned is jam or cream first? :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Scone like cone.
Reply 9
Original post by tazarooni89
English pronunciation has no logic lol...
How would you pronounce "cone"?

For me, "scone" is just a word I try and avoid saying. "Pass me the round bready thing please" :colondollar:

yeah there's loads of examples and counter examples, I'm just saying you can't use an example of spelling to show that's how you should say it ^^

That made me laugh, have some rep :h:
Reply 10
I've always known it as 'scone as in throne' however if I'm with my dad's side of the family it's 'scone as in gone'. The amount of arguments the pronunciation of this has caused (and probably will cause)...
Surely that should read Scon or Scown but anyway erm ... Scon I think but I don't actually know now haha
Scon.

Wonder if it varies depending on where you are from? I'm from the north east, and to be fair I've never got onto the subject really. My mam says scon too though.
I've also heard people pronounce it as "Scoon". Or maybe it's a Scottish thing...
Original post by Oddities
'scone as in throne'

:yy:
Tend to say 'scon'
Cant use "had to change spelling" as justification; gone, none, done (I pronounce 'dun') :biggrin:
It's "Castle" that causes all the issue where I am... silly southerners and their make-believe 'Rs'
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
I don't like them so I say "scorn" :wink:
Reply 17
This poll may as well say North or South :tongue:
Reply 18
SCON!!

With cream and jam and a cup of tea, always :smile:

Also btw im from essex so this north/south divide thing is silly
I say "scon" and so does everyone i know really, maybe more of a scottish thing? "scone" sounds better with an english accent

Quick Reply

Latest