The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Modern Languages Applicants at Durham? :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by felbss_x
Ooh that's exciting, where in the EU? :smile: I like to think that too... Don't know how true it is though :tongue:

Me too, and everyone will already have met each other :frown: oh gosh, which uni was that for?

I'm not that exciting, because I'm still British, but I was born and raised in France :tongue:
I'm very confusing to most people. When I tell French people I'm British once they realize I speak English fluently, they're all very excited, wanting to know about my life in England (because British = English where I live). Alas, I leave them all disappointed and the annoying ones say: "Well, you're not really British then are you?".
It was the same situation at Oxford. One of the first things I wrote in my personal statement was "I am British, but have always lived in France". And yet, the people interviewing me were all surprised saying "Oh, I hadn't realized you were British.". Okay then... They were slightly unsettled because they had wanted to talk about learning English as a foreign language :s-smilie:
Sorry, I'm ranting.

I don't think everyone will have already met each other, or at least they won't all already be besties, unwilling to become your friend :wink:
It was for Nottingham.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 141
I only applied on the Jan 15th deadline though, to be fair :P
Do you know other people that have offers for Chinese at Durham? Or is the department just a slow one in general?
....found out that St Mary's college has an open day on Monday, and I haven't even heard from Durham yet!! :'(

Same! And they said they'd let me know by the 15th. Now not gonna be able to go to an open day... !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 142
Original post by Sopih
Mine is pretty hardy; I use it at school, so it has to be fairly robust. I took it up to Yorkshire with me and it survived the trip in a disgusting minibus, so trains should be all right for it. Oh god, it's forecast to snow on Tuesday! I love snow, but I love snow when I'm sat snugly at home. Though if anyone's up for making a snowman, I am so there.

Ahaha, that's one of the vaguer descriptions I've heard. As long as we have some vague idea of who the other is, it's less of a guessing game (is that one Peter?? what about that one??) I'm sure introductions will happen there, anyway. There's student entertainment happening according to the email, so prospective students will be congregating at some point, I expect.

I do 4 essay subjects, and the workload is killer; it's widely acknowledged that the French department are sadists at my school. Here's an essay, here's a presentation, here's 4 questions on this page, here's some translation, help. I'm going to finish the first draft of this coursework today, and then I have to start attacking editing the beast. Nearly done oh my god

I just got the cheapest laptop I could find, so it's temperamental to say the least :P. If it survived a minibus, it can survive anything- if my school minibuses are anything to go buy, they're pretty horrific. I saw that too, I'm hoping the trains aren't all delayed and cancelled! Same for me, when you have to actually get anywhere, snow's a pain. That's a great idea, Hild Bede's meant to have huge grounds, so there should be plenty of snow :wink:.

Aha sorry! Well I'm assuming there won't be hundreds of girls wearing red coats, so that should narrow it down quite a bit- plus they might get people doing the same subject to sit in groups or something, I don't know. Ah sounds good, wonder what kind of entertainment that will be...

4 subjects? I feel for you, I dropped English as soon as I could, I wouldn't have coped with 4 at A2! Haha sounds like the opposite of my French department- we never get any work, which was good at the time, but it's now kind of worrying because exams aren't far away and I know nothing. Sounds like you're on the final stretch now, it will be such a relief when it's over and done with! :smile:
Reply 143
Original post by York2595
I just got the cheapest laptop I could find, so it's temperamental to say the least :P. If it survived a minibus, it can survive anything- if my school minibuses are anything to go buy, they're pretty horrific. I saw that too, I'm hoping the trains aren't all delayed and cancelled! Same for me, when you have to actually get anywhere, snow's a pain. That's a great idea, Hild Bede's meant to have huge grounds, so there should be plenty of snow :wink:.

Aha sorry! Well I'm assuming there won't be hundreds of girls wearing red coats, so that should narrow it down quite a bit- plus they might get people doing the same subject to sit in groups or something, I don't know. Ah sounds good, wonder what kind of entertainment that will be...

4 subjects? I feel for you, I dropped English as soon as I could, I wouldn't have coped with 4 at A2! Haha sounds like the opposite of my French department- we never get any work, which was good at the time, but it's now kind of worrying because exams aren't far away and I know nothing. Sounds like you're on the final stretch now, it will be such a relief when it's over and done with! :smile:

I don't know how our respective minibuses measure up, but there is literally mould growing inside that thing. A draft comes in the door, and at one point when we slowed down in traffic, snow came in and landed on me :frown: As long as there's heating in the train I'm happy! Looking at the weather, there is so much snow forecast, eep. It wouldn't be the worst thing to get stuck in Durham, but getting stuck in travel would be pretty hairy.

I'm sure it'll be all good, it's just my last minute nerves getting to me, ahaha. When I went up to Oxford for interview I was miserable, it felt like half the people already knew each other and had clumped into groups and I was left on the outside, and it wasn't wildly fun.

I just couldn't bear to drop any of them, I brought the workload on myself, really. It's why I don't really do anything else, I'm too busy slogging through all the homework! At one point, we had three teachers for French, 5 lessons a week, and we got homework for every lesson; now we have four lessons, so they give us more homework instead. WE CAN'T WIN. I've done so many essays in Year 13 *-* so... many...
Reply 144
Original post by Sopih
I don't know how our respective minibuses measure up, but there is literally mould growing inside that thing. A draft comes in the door, and at one point when we slowed down in traffic, snow came in and landed on me :frown: As long as there's heating in the train I'm happy! Looking at the weather, there is so much snow forecast, eep. It wouldn't be the worst thing to get stuck in Durham, but getting stuck in travel would be pretty hairy.

I'm sure it'll be all good, it's just my last minute nerves getting to me, ahaha. When I went up to Oxford for interview I was miserable, it felt like half the people already knew each other and had clumped into groups and I was left on the outside, and it wasn't wildly fun.

I just couldn't bear to drop any of them, I brought the workload on myself, really. It's why I don't really do anything else, I'm too busy slogging through all the homework! At one point, we had three teachers for French, 5 lessons a week, and we got homework for every lesson; now we have four lessons, so they give us more homework instead. WE CAN'T WIN. I've done so many essays in Year 13 *-* so... many...

I think your minibus might be a tad worse than the ones at my school then, I think our ones are (vaguely) waterproof. Yeah, trains should be a lot better than a minibus! I know, I couldn't believe it- it's April in a few weeks! True, but there's nothing worse than being stranded on a train in the middle of nowhere, in a blizzard...

I'm slightly nervous too haha, but it should be good. That sounds pretty bad, I hope everyone's included at this thing- it sounds like at the Oxford one people might have known each other beforehand or something?

Haha I was the exact opposite, I didn't find it too hard to say goodbye to English :P. I feel extremely fortunate I don't go to your school now, that much french work would kill me. Although I agree on the essay front: I can't remember a week this year when I haven't had an essay to do :/
Reply 145
Original post by Alice07
Same! And they said they'd let me know by the 15th. Now not gonna be able to go to an open day... !

Posted from TSR Mobile

15th March? Argh that's so annoying!!
I know, and I needed to go to one to help me decide between Durham and Edinburgh, assuming I get an offer from Durham :frown:

Good luck and let me know if you hear anything!
Reply 146
Original post by AnnaGrrrr
I'm not that exciting, because I'm still British, but I was born and raised in France :tongue:
I'm very confusing to most people. When I tell French people I'm British once they realize I speak English fluently, they're all very excited, wanting to know about my life in England (because British = English where I live). Alas, I leave them all disappointed and the annoying ones say: "Well, you're not really British then are you?".
It was the same situation at Oxford. One of the first things I wrote in my personal statement was "I am British, but have always lived in France". And yet, the people interviewing me were all surprised saying "Oh, I hadn't realized you were British.". Okay then... They were slightly unsettled because they had wanted to talk about learning English as a foreign language :s-smilie:
Sorry, I'm ranting.

I don't think everyone will have already met each other, or at least they won't all already be besties, unwilling to become your friend :wink:
It was for Nottingham.

Oh that must be SO annoying!! Although I'd have liked to have seen the faces of your Oxford interviewers when they realised that :P
That's ok, rant away!

I bloody well hope not! Although they've already set up a fb group for St Mary's offer holders and everything.
Oh I see. Well there's another Notts open day coming up if you missed the one on the (27th, I think?) and I'm going to that :smile:
Reply 147
Oh that must be SO annoying!! Although I'd have liked to have seen the faces of your Oxford interviewers when they realised that :P
That's ok, rant away!

I bloody well hope not! Although they've already set up a fb group for St Mary's offer holders and everything.
Oh I see. Well there's another Notts open day coming up if you missed the one on the (27th, I think?) and I'm going to that :smile:

That's ok, rant away!

Still, I'd rather be bilingual and have to explain to each new person than have to learn French at school. I think it must be a hard language to learn and speak as a foreigner :smile:

I was disappointed with Oxford because it made me wonder how well they look at each application. I understand that it's a lot of work, but I thought the whole point of it all was to scrupulously examine each application to find the "crème de la crème". Even so, I'm sure it would've been nice to study there :rolleyes:

I hope you get to join the fb group soon! It's hard looking from the outside.
I was actually going to go to a visit day for the Chinese course on the 13th. There was going to be a Chinese taster class... :colondollar:
Ooooh when's the next one? Is it a general open day?

Did you say you applied to Edinburgh as well? Have they made a decision about you yet?
Reply 148
Still, I'd rather be bilingual and have to explain to each new person than have to learn French at school. I think it must be a hard language to learn and speak as a foreigner :smile:

I was disappointed with Oxford because it made me wonder how well they look at each application. I understand that it's a lot of work, but I thought the whole point of it all was to scrupulously examine each application to find the "crème de la crème". Even so, I'm sure it would've been nice to study there :rolleyes:

I hope you get to join the fb group soon! It's hard looking from the outside.
I was actually going to go to a visit day for the Chinese course on the 13th. There was going to be a Chinese taster class... :colondollar:
Ooooh when's the next one? Is it a general open day?

Did you say you applied to Edinburgh as well? Have they made a decision about you yet?

Yes that's very true! French? No, it's easy compared to Mandarin :wink: haha.

Exactly! They can be very random in their selections; I know plenty of people capable of and worthy of a place at Oxbridge that didn't get one.
I know :frown: I'm not going to lie, I'm still going through the Cambridge reject mourning process... I would have loved to have gone.

Oh my goodness the Chinese dept have already had a visit day as well?!!!! I'm extremely tempted to email them and ask them what's going on. I just want a reply so I can make my firm/insurance choices!
I'll double check for you, but I know it's soon. Not sure if it's an open day for languages offer holders or just offer holders in general.
Yes I did, for Spanish and Chinese - was made an offer at the end of February :smile:
Reply 149
Yes that's very true! French? No, it's easy compared to Mandarin :wink: haha.

Exactly! They can be very random in their selections; I know plenty of people capable of and worthy of a place at Oxbridge that didn't get one.
I know :frown: I'm not going to lie, I'm still going through the Cambridge reject mourning process... I would have loved to have gone.

Oh my goodness the Chinese dept have already had a visit day as well?!!!! I'm extremely tempted to email them and ask them what's going on. I just want a reply so I can make my firm/insurance choices!
I'll double check for you, but I know it's soon. Not sure if it's an open day for languages offer holders or just offer holders in general.
Yes I did, for Spanish and Chinese - was made an offer at the end of February :smile:

I'll take your word for it :wink:
In Mandarin there's hardly any grammar and conjugation. The hardest part is remembering how to write the characters in my opinion. French is kind of the opposite, but I suppose it's still much closer to English.
How long have you studied Mandarin?

We'll just have to have awesome lives to show them what they're missing :cool:
After my rejection I was tempted to take a gap year, because I've skipped a year so I'm younger than other French people leaving school anyway. But if I wait a whole year, giving up the offers I have and get a rejection again, I'll just seem really silly... My dad got in the second time round so he occasionally tortures me saying "Oh I'm sure you'd get in if you tried again...", but I know it would not be sure at all. Oh well :rolleyes:

Thank you :smile:
Congratulations on your offer from Edinburgh! I'm so happy for you!
I'm still waiting for a decision for Chinese single honours. When I rang they said everyone should know by the end of March, but I'm not sure how true it is...
You mean you've had an offer from Edinburgh but not Nottingham, which would be quite surprising? Or you didn't see there was a visit day for the Chinese department?
Reply 150
I'll take your word for it :wink:
In Mandarin there's hardly any grammar and conjugation. The hardest part is remembering how to write the characters in my opinion. French is kind of the opposite, but I suppose it's still much closer to English.
How long have you studied Mandarin?

We'll just have to have awesome lives to show them what they're missing :cool:
After my rejection I was tempted to take a gap year, because I've skipped a year so I'm younger than other French people leaving school anyway. But if I wait a whole year, giving up the offers I have and get a rejection again, I'll just seem really silly... My dad got in the second time round so he occasionally tortures me saying "Oh I'm sure you'd get in if you tried again...", but I know it would not be sure at all. Oh well :rolleyes:

Thank you :smile:
Congratulations on your offer from Edinburgh! I'm so happy for you!
I'm still waiting for a decision for Chinese single honours. When I rang they said everyone should know by the end of March, but I'm not sure how true it is...
You mean you've had an offer from Edinburgh but not Nottingham, which would be quite surprising? Or you didn't see there was a visit day for the Chinese department?

Well, to an extent. It's just less conventional grammar to the grammar that we're used to with Romance languages. Plus it seems so hard to pronounce! :/
I haven't done it formally at school or anything, but I went to China last summer to volunteer and picked up a bit there :smile:

Haha exactly! Or we just become world-renowned linguists and make Oxbridge wish that they'd been the universities affiliated with our names :tongue:
But by all means reapply if you feel it's the only place for you. I'm actually the opposite to you - I had to drop out for a year due to severe illness, so I'm a year behind... so reapplying would make me even further behind.

Awww thank you :smile: best of luck with your application, and don't worry if you don't hear from Edinburgh for a while...I've been told they can be a bit arbitrary with when they hand out offers.

No I've had offers from both Notts and Edinburgh, I just couldn't remember when the Nottingham offer holder's open day was - turned out that I missed it! Woops :tongue:
Reply 151
Finally got an offer last Tuesday for French after months of waiting, does anyone know if I'm likely to hear about the college soon?
I (stupidly) applied to castle, I don't think I'll get in there but when they end up having to pass my application to another college, could it be any random college or do they allocate you to one with some vague similarity to the one you applied to?
Original post by Caits7
Finally got an offer last Tuesday for French after months of waiting, does anyone know if I'm likely to hear about the college soon?
I (stupidly) applied to castle, I don't think I'll get in there but when they end up having to pass my application to another college, could it be any random college or do they allocate you to one with some vague similarity to the one you applied to?

At this stage of applications, I'm pretty sure you should hear about college within the week. :smile:

As for whether you'll get allocated to a similar one, I'm afraid that, again because of the stage of applications, chances aren't good. The admissions proceedures make no reference to trying to place you in a similar college - I don't know whether because they actively don't, or just because they can't promise that they can try, and don't want to get peoples' expectations up. Sorry.
Reply 153
Original post by Awoodrow2
At this stage of applications, I'm pretty sure you should hear about college within the week. :smile:

As for whether you'll get allocated to a similar one, I'm afraid that, again because of the stage of applications, chances aren't good. The admissions proceedures make no reference to trying to place you in a similar college - I don't know whether because they actively don't, or just because they can't promise that they can try, and don't want to get peoples' expectations up. Sorry.

Yeah I just heard actually, I've been allocated to Grey's, anyone have anything interesting to say about it? :P
How are people revising for languages? I'm buzzing for durham but keep forgetting I need the grades first aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 155
Grey is the best! Woop woop!
No seriously, everyone I met was really down to earth, and genuinely nice funny people. They were so welcoming and friendly, and all the reps made sure we had an amazing time at the Open Day. As for the college itself. Well it's not too far from the centre of Durham, but as a hill college it kind of feels like a smaller bubble community within the Uni. The walk to town takes about 20 minutes max. There are around 10 languages students each year I think... Anyway, SOOO excited to (hopefully) be going there in October!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 156
Original post by Caits7
Yeah I just heard actually, I've been allocated to Grey's, anyone have anything interesting to say about it? :P

Grey is the best! Woop woop! <br />
No seriously, everyone I met was really down to earth, and genuinely nice funny people. They were so welcoming and friendly, and all the reps made sure we had an amazing time at the Open Day. As for the college itself. Well it's not too far from the centre of Durham, but as a hill college it kind of feels like a smaller bubble community within the Uni. The walk to town takes about 20 minutes max. There are around 10 languages students each year I think... Anyway, SOOO excited to (hopefully) be going there in October!<br />
<br />
<br />
Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 157
Original post by yarnstew
Grey is the best! Woop woop! <br />
No seriously, everyone I met was really down to earth, and genuinely nice funny people. They were so welcoming and friendly, and all the reps made sure we had an amazing time at the Open Day. As for the college itself. Well it's not too far from the centre of Durham, but as a hill college it kind of feels like a smaller bubble community within the Uni. The walk to town takes about 20 minutes max. There are around 10 languages students each year I think... Anyway, SOOO excited to (hopefully) be going there in October!<br />
<br />
<br />
Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sweet! What are you doing there?
They took so long to get back to me I missed the open day but I'm headed up there this week to check it out!
Don't suppose you happen to know how far it is from Hild Bede? I think that's where most of the sports clubs are :P
Hopefully see you in October! ^_^
Reply 158
Original post by Caits7
Sweet! What are you doing there?
They took so long to get back to me I missed the open day but I'm headed up there this week to check it out!
Don't suppose you happen to know how far it is from Hild Bede? I think that's where most of the sports clubs are :P
Hopefully see you in October! ^_^

I'm doing French and Spanish, so a fairly standard combination really. Erm, Hilde Beade is the other side of Durham I think, so quite far :/ there is sport stuff all over though, and Grey has it's own gym, which is good for the avid sportsperson.
What are you going to study (grades permitting)?
hope you have a good time when you go there this week!!
:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 159
Original post by yarnstew
I'm doing French and Spanish, so a fairly standard combination really. Erm, Hilde Beade is the other side of Durham I think, so quite far :/ there is sport stuff all over though, and Grey has it's own gym, which is good for the avid sportsperson.
What are you going to study (grades permitting)?
hope you have a good time when you go there this week!!
:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing French (technically) but when I go I'll be doing Spanish and hopefully mandarin too :smile:
That's a bit inconvenient seeing as the karate club's over there, but I heard Durham's pretty small so shouldn't be much of a problem!
I saw on the website about the gym, pretty handy really ^_^
And thanks, I'm so excited!

Quick Reply

Latest