The Student Room Group

Does Thatcher's death deserve rejoice?

Poll

Should we be happy about Margaret Thatcher's Death?

So Margaret Thatcher has died, and it is news. Of course it's news.
All I'm seeing on my Twitter feed, and my Facebook Timeline is really quite harsh comments about her.
Comments such as

I've just seen the plans for Margaret Thatcher's grave...

Its beautiful - but I think they should have made the dance floor bigger.

just make me feel a little bit sad about this planet.

A death is a death, and should never be celebrated.
Before someone says anything about celebrating the death of 'evil' people such as Hitler; still not okay.

Please share your opinion. If you feel that this is a time for celebration, tell me why you think so.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chapmouse
All I'm seeing on my Twitter feed, and my Facebook Timeline is really quite harsh comments about her.
Comments such as

Before someone says anything about celebrating the death of 'evil' people such as Hitler; still not okay.

Please share your opinion. If you feel that this is a time for celebration, tell me why you think so.
I disagree. However, the difference is that Thatcher hasn't had any power or political influence for several years so her death hasn't changed anything.
No, of course not. In fact, it's actually quite annoying as the media will now force memories of her down our throats.
I agree, a death should never be celebrated. These people were horrible people, but could not help who they were.

That said, I'm not going to mourn her death. And I recognize her death is symbol, which brings many people joy.
Reply 4
Yes, the death of an old lady is a national time to rejoice! In fact, we should make this a national holiday - dedicated to dancing on old people's graves. Free milk should be distributed to every household. :colonhash:

(Someone obviously didn't get the sarcasm of this post. Shame on you!)
(edited 10 years ago)
No, the death of nobody deserves rejoice.
Reply 6
Anyone cheering or celebrating is a disgrace. You never cheer somebodies death. Ever.
Reply 7
Truly one of a kind, admired the world over. Most of the people celebrating her death seem to be left wing teenagers so she must have done something right.
Reply 8
Original post by whyumadtho
I disagree. However, the difference is that Thatcher hasn't had any power or political influence for several years so her death hasn't changed anything.

Right, whereas the death of Hitler led to German surrender etc. So what was celebrated in that case? His death or the end of war?
I still don't think Thatcher is that evil.
I dont know enough about politics to make a decision about whether she was a good politician or not

But she is still a person, regardless of what she did or didnt do she is still a mother and a daughter, a human being that has sadly passed

My opinion anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Absolutely not, the people who are rejoicing her death almost make me ashamed that I am British, certainly that they are.

You don't have to agree with her politics, but it's not like she was Mao, show some humanity.
No.
Reply 12
I'm so concerned about a public funeral, be it State or otherwise.
There would be so many riots, so much fire, it would just be a really bad day.
Don't agree with any of her politics, think she destroyed British society and her legacy is an economic cancer. Equally, it's clear as day that she was a very strong leader and her route to the top as a woman and from her socio-economic background is very admirable.

However, her political life died a long time ago. People rejoicing are rejoicing about the death of a mother and a grandmother, and nothing else, which is saddening.

It seems inevitable that knee-jerk leftists will jump on the "Yay, Thacher's Dead. Break out the pop" bandwagon and lead to whole-political-sphere tarring with the same unfortunate brush.

I would hope the majority abandon the politics for a bit and have the good grace to respect the life of a human being.
Reply 14
The idea of celebrating it is as bizarre as it is insensitive. Even the celebrations of the death of Osama were distasteful, let alone one of our own PMs, no matter what your politics.
No. It's sick. I don't think you should make the death of an elderly woman about whether you agreed with her politics or not. She brought about a change in our country, a much-needed one at the time, and although many will disagree with some area of her policies that gives you no right to be happy about her death. It's deeply insensitive and disgusting.
No. For anyone mentioning Hitler, or the like, there should be a clear distinction between war time and peace time. During war time, it's understandable that people will want the opposition's leader dead but a peace time politician of any kind should never suffer the indignity of having their death celebrated. All you did was have a difference of opinion with them.
Reply 17
Comments such as

This thread is disgusting. How could one possibly rejoice in the death of somebody else. She wasn't just a politician, nor was she the 'iron lady' everyone else made her out to be. She was a devoted mother and a caring wife. She was far from 'evil' and managed to turn the country into one of the strongest in the world, and if you want to rejoice because she upset some people with taxes and benefit cuts. Then go ahead, but be sure that the majority of the population will bow their heads in sadness at this momentously sad moment in time, not celebrate in her passing!
Comments such as

Yes you dont celebrate death, you celebrate the life of the person who died.
Well I personally don't care about how "distasteful" it is - I care more about the logic behind it. There is no sense in "celebrating" her death since it was an inevitability anyway. A human being did what all human beings are destined to do: she died. That in itself is pretty unremarkable.

If she had died 30 years ago when she was actually in power, her death might have had some kind of "meaning" i.e. it would have perhaps altered the political course of this country and may or may not have been a "good" thing. But what's happened here is that an old woman has died of a stroke - she's no longer even in power or pulling the strings.

Same goes for Bin Laden's death. Did it get rid of Islamist fundamentalism? Nope. I'll rejoice when religious fanaticism is dead, I don't care about its prophets or figureheads. Similarly, I'll be pleased when individualism and selfishness (which Thatcher taught us so well) die...rejoicing over her passing makes little sense when her vile ideology still dominates the political landscape.

The death of a human being isn't a special event. Learning that an ideology is destructive and inhumane and abandoning it in favour of progressiveness is far more significant and is a real cause for celebration.

That said, I'm not certainly not sad, she was a truly awful woman - she really should have stuck to chemical research.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest