The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

As one of the world's biggest Tory Boys, I feel as though I have lost a part of me today. Thatcher is revered in my circle of friends, and I have nothing but special praise for her reign over the country in the 80s.
Original post by Eboracum
Anyone cheering or celebrating is a disgrace. You never cheer somebodies death. Ever.

Well, I don't think this is true.
No I don't think so, it's both insensitive and illogical. She stopped having any influence on other people's lives when her career in politics was over, for the many who disagreed with her policies that was the time for rejoice. Celebrating her death is just petty and quite sad.

People will make jokes though, and I see nothing wrong with that. There'll always be people making jokes about the death of somebody famous, regardless of public opinion of them. Whilst the jokes aren't going to be what the friends and family of the deceased want to hear, I don't think the jokes are made out of malice, simply because the death, as a big news story presents an opportunity to make a joke.
Original post by chapmouse
So Margaret Thatcher has died, and it is news. Of course it's news.
All I'm seeing on my Twitter feed, and my Facebook Timeline is really quite harsh comments about her.
Comments such as

just make me feel a little bit sad about this planet.

A death is a death, and should never be celebrated.
Before someone says anything about celebrating the death of 'evil' people such as Hitler; still not okay.

Please share your opinion. If you feel that this is a time for celebration, tell me why you think so.

I'm going to say no. Also you should have made the poll public so people can see who voted for what. Then we'd see who'd have the balls to be public and honest about their opinions.
While I usually answered with a big fat NO whenever someone asked me if I liked her, no doubt was she a very influential and strong woman, so I respect her in that sense on the day of her death. Her politics did suck, but her determination did not.
Reply 25
I know someone who said he'd be rejoicing this day (remember him even inviting me to a party when she died, hopefully he was joking :rolleyes:), my feelings towards her are indifferent, still haven't decided whether to hate or love her, but I personally completely disagree at celebrating anyone's death, even if you hated them.

Interesting to see she isn't getting a state funeral though after the various speculation over the years at whether she would or not, I wonder why they decided not to have one.
(edited 11 years ago)
People may celebrate Bin Laden's death, or Hitler because their death signalled the end of their influence and the revenge for the deaths they caused. Thatcher's influence ended long ago, and she didn't cause death in the same sense. Its pretty sick to celebrate the death of someone who really was just some old women.
Reply 27
Only on this site would people rejoice at the death of an elderly woman but mourn the passing of an actual despot in Hugo Chavez.

Sort your priorities out. The left is getting desperate and it is a joy to behold.
Reply 28
Original post by grammar12
This thread is disgusting.

How so? Pretty much everyone posting is saying that her death is nothign to be celebrated. My OP was actually saying that it shouldn't be, and I'm just wondering why people are, if they are, celebrating.

Original post by Jordan-James
Yes you dont celebrate death, you celebrate the life of the person who died.

But that isn't how people are treating Thatcher's death. There aren't many people celebrating her life, and it's a shame. People are instead celebrating the fact that she can no longer run riot on the Earth, which I don't agree is what she was doing...

Original post by Endless Blue
Well, I don't think this is true.

Care to elaborate?

Original post by thunder_chunky
I'm going to say no. Also you should have made the poll public so people can see who voted for what. Then we'd see who'd have the balls to be public and honest about their opinions.

Maybe it'd be interesting to run two polls on two different threads, one where it is public, and one where it is not. I'm sure you'd see different results. I think public polls encourage people to vote for the winning side. I don't know, you could say that about any poll.
Reply 29
So Margaret Thatcher has died, and it is news. Of course it's news.
All I'm seeing on my Twitter feed, and my Facebook Timeline is really quite harsh comments about her.
Comments such as

just make me feel a little bit sad about this planet.

A death is a death, and should never be celebrated.
Before someone says anything about celebrating the death of 'evil' people such as Hitler; still not okay.

Please share your opinion. If you feel that this is a time for celebration, tell me why you think so.

what, you should never celebrate someone's death? thats bullsh!t. Should we have not celebrated Hitler's death, Bin Laden's death, etc?

Maybe it'd be interesting to run two polls on two different threads, one where it is public, and one where it is not. I'm sure you'd see different results. I think public polls encourage people to vote for the winning side. I don't know, you could say that about any poll.

If you run two polls most people would vote in the one that isn't public.
A lot of people are saying that a death should never ever be celebrated and that it's disgusting to do so. If that is the case, why was there no furore when the Americans celebrated the deaths of Bin Laden and Chavez?
Reply 32
How so? Pretty much everyone posting is saying that her death is nothign to be celebrated. My OP was actually saying that it shouldn't be, and I'm just wondering why people are, if they are, celebrating.

But that isn't how people are treating Thatcher's death. There aren't many people celebrating her life, and it's a shame. People are instead celebrating the fact that she can no longer run riot on the Earth, which I don't agree is what she was doing...

Care to elaborate?

The fact that somebody would even suggest or question this is disgusting in itself. Why would you question whether others were celebrating her death when you yourself are not? She was a devoted mother and friend to many, why put the question out there? Things like this don't need discussion. She should be allowed to rest in peace without people questioning why or why not they are celebrating her death. Imagine this was your mother, your daughter or even your wife. Just how would you feel that someone had created a threat like this? :mad:
Reply 33
Original post by Harry.K
what, you should never celebrate someone's death? thats bullsh!t. Should we have not celebrated Hitler's death, Bin Laden's death, etc?

I literally said in my original post that it still isn't okay to celebrate the death of Hitler.

A life is a life.

People celebrated Hitler's Death because shortly after, Germany surrendered. The celebration is peace time. Yeah, it's associated with his death, but I still think it's wrong to say "Ah, I'm glad he died."

If Hitler was kept in prison for the duration of his life, do you not think there would have been equivalent celebration?

Death shouldn't be celebrated.
An old woman has died after having a stroke. Regardless of what she has done in the past, it is appalling to celebrate her death.
Reply 35
Original post by grammar12
The fact that somebody would even suggest or question this is disgusting in itself. Why would you question whether others were celebrating her death when you yourself are not? She was a devoted mother and friend to many, why put the question out there? Things like this don't need discussion. She should be allowed to rest in peace without people questioning why or why not they are celebrating her death. Imagine this was your mother, your daughter or even your wife. Just how would you feel that someone had created a threat like this? :mad:

Here are some things I saw on Twitter today:

Simon Lane ‏@SimonHoneydew3h
I'm not joking. I really, honestly, truly want to see people spitting on the hearse as it drives by & throwing coal at her coffin.

Frankie Boyle
‏@frankieboyle
1h

All that Thatcher achieved was to ensure that people living in Garbage Camps a hundred years from now will think that Hitler was a woman

curtis woodhouse ‏@woodhousecurtis29m
a woman that made the rich richer and tried to bring working class familys to there knees, wont be mourned by any of my family #thatcher

The reason I created this thread was to question why people are saying things like this.
I'm putting the question out there because I want to know the motives are for hating her this much. Nobody's death deserves to be celebrated, I don't care who it is.
She would be allowed to lay in rest without people being this toxic about her even after she has passed.
Imagine if this was your mother, daughter or your wife, and you had to sit and watch while all this abuse was hurled at someone so recently deceased.

There's no reason to get so pissy at me, really.

Fortunately, everyone has been really positive on this thread, and I haven't had to hear some of the reasons behind the hate.
Alternatively, these people are just voting on the poll, and leaving it at that because they're afraid of receiving negative votes on their posts.

Reply 36
The majority of people on this forum are young. You won't remember the division, the bitterness, the hate she put this country through. The roots of the current economic crisis are with Thatcher.
Reply 37
Here are some things I saw on Twitter today:

Simon Lane ‏@SimonHoneydew3h
I'm not joking. I really, honestly, truly want to see people spitting on the hearse as it drives by & throwing coal at her coffin.

Frankie Boyle
‏@frankieboyle
1h

All that Thatcher achieved was to ensure that people living in Garbage Camps a hundred years from now will think that Hitler was a woman

curtis woodhouse ‏@woodhousecurtis29m
a woman that made the rich richer and tried to bring working class familys to there knees, wont be mourned by any of my family #thatcher

The reason I created this thread was to question why people are saying things like this.
I'm putting the question out there because I want to know the motives are for hating her this much. Nobody's death deserves to be celebrated, I don't care who it is.

Surely there is a difference between celebrating her death (the first comment - which is just sad really) and commenting on her legacy or the impact she had on the UK though?

I don't see how Frankie Boyle's comment (bombastic as it is) would qualify as celebrating her death. The death of any public figure is going to generate a lot of comment and debate on their achievements - good or bad. Why should those who supported her politics and policies have a monopoly on commenting on her political, economic, or social legacy?
I am actually fearing for her funeral, all these left wing haters will be out there causing havock at this funeral, or so some are at least threatening anyway, and she was a very quite person who kept herself to herself, I dont think a state funeral where anybody could come along and kick off and ruin the whole thing would be a suitable way for her family and friends to say goodbye, I think it would make the whole experience a whole lot worse. Off topic I know but had to get it out there..
No ones death deserves rejoice

Latest

Trending

Trending