The Student Room Group

biology - what is an ATP molecules?

Slightly confused.

'The breaking down of gycerol and fatty acids into co2 and water releases energy to generate ATP molecules'

I thought ATP was energy? :/
Reply 1
Original post by hibaj
Slightly confused.

'The breaking down of gycerol and fatty acids into co2 and water releases energy to generate ATP molecules'

I thought ATP was energy? :/

ATP is adenosine triphosphate.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenosine_triphosphate :smile:
Reply 2

I know but i don't understand what it does :|
Reply 3
Original post by hibaj

ATP is a molecule that is used in things like active transport.
The Transport protein has a binding site for ATP. It "breaks off" a phosphate group leaving you with ADP. The ATP then provides the impetus for the transport protein to alter its shape and move the molecule it transports through.
Original post by hibaj

You'd probably get a better answer looking in a textbook or on some internet sites.

In essence, you use the energy released in a reaction to form these ATP molecules.
Then when you need energy for something, they break down to provide energy.
Reply 5
Original post by hibaj

Contains a lot of chemical energy in the bonds, so when ATP loses a phosphate group and becomes ADP(Adenosine diphosphate) the energy contained in the chemical bonds that is broken releases energy in the process.
ATP is used like a carrier for energy in the body. It's Tri(3)ose phosphate, when one phosphate breaks off it becomes Di(2)phosphate, when the bond breaks it releases a little bit of energy. It's needed because it can release little bursts of energy not massive amounts all at once like a starch molecules would do. It's used for active transport, muscle contraction etc. in the body and is produced by respiration (the reaction you mentioned). You'll learn much more detail about it at A-Level if you take it, for GCSE you really just need to know that it carries energy for reactions in the body
Reply 7
Original post by joostan
ATP is a molecule that is used in things like active transport.
The Transport protein has a binding site for ATP. It "breaks off" a phosphate group leaving you with ADP. The ATP then provides the impetus for the transport protein to alter its shape and move the molecule it transports through.

Original post by Rump Steak
You'd probably get a better answer looking in a textbook or on some internet sites.

In essence, you use the energy released in a reaction to form these ATP molecules.
Then when you need energy for something, they break down to provide energy.

Original post by jam277
Contains a lot of chemical energy in the bonds, so when ATP loses a phosphate group and becomes ADP(Adenosine diphosphate) the energy contained in the chemical bonds that is broken releases energy in the process.

Original post by PeanutButter2000
ATP is used like a carrier for energy in the body. It's Tri(3)ose phosphate, when one phosphate breaks off it becomes Di(2)phosphate, when the bond breaks it releases a little bit of energy. It's needed because it can release little bursts of energy not massive amounts all at once like a starch molecules would do. It's used for active transport, muscle contraction etc. in the body and is produced by respiration (the reaction you mentioned). You'll learn much more detail about it at A-Level if you take it, for GCSE you really just need to know that it carries energy for reactions in the body

Thanks guys! I'm doing AS :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by hibaj
Thanks guys! I'm doing AS :tongue:

Hope you understand now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest