The Student Room Group

Stipends

Just looking into stipends. I can find how much they are etc, but can't find anywhere quite how they are paid. Monthly, annually, in chunks? Adavances for accommodatin? any help appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by olddad
Just looking into stipends. I can find how much they are etc, but can't find anywhere quite how they are paid. Monthly, annually, in chunks? Adavances for accommodatin? any help appreciated.

Assuming this is RCUK? I get mine at the start of each quarter:

01 October 2012
01 January 2013
01 April 2013
01 July 2013
Reply 2
Original post by olddad

I believe the AHRC pays in chunks, quarterly -- in effect, at the beginning of the autumn, spring and summer terms, and then at the beginning of the summer break. No idea how other funding bodies do it.
Reply 3
Original post by Vousden
Assuming this is RCUK? I get mine at the start of each quarter:

01 October 2012
01 January 2013
01 April 2013
01 July 2013

Sorry. it is STFC funded.
Reply 4
Original post by olddad
Sorry. it is STFC funded.

It will be every three months from the start of the PhD. You can either collect it as a cheque from the university finance office or have it paid directly into a current account. If you get it as a cheque you usually receive it a little early as most unis write checks once or twice a month. Advances are unlikely.
Reply 5
Original post by paddy_
It will be every three months from the start of the PhD. You can either collect it as a cheque from the university finance office or have it paid directly into a current account. If you get it as a cheque you usually receive it a little early as most unis write checks once or twice a month. Advances are unlikely.

Good. Thanks.
Original post by paddy_

Is this always true? I mean, is it something specific to the council? I thought how stipends were paid were down to the individual Uni. For example, I get paid monthly, though I know others ESRC students who get termly payments.
Reply 7
Original post by flying plum
Is this always true? I mean, is it something specific to the council? I thought how stipends were paid were down to the individual Uni. For example, I get paid monthly, though I know others ESRC students who get termly payments.

This is a good point actually. I am STFC funded at Southampton, i'd imagine it will be similar but I guess checking with the uni is the best advice :smile:
Reply 8
STFC = Shut the f**k cup right?

Sorry I just had to get out of my system.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending