The Student Room Group

What laptop for university?

Hello,

Im going to uni in September and need a new laptop for my studys as the one I have now is just a bit old and needs updating. I have about £550 to spend on a laptop and am just totally unsure of what to get because there is so many available, can someone with nay type of knowledge with computers aid me with choosing one? i will be studying business and management if thats any help and will be using it for everyday uni stuff like essays but also I have a lot of music and a lot of the time have loads of programs up at once!

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Well your budget tells me your after a powerful Windows computer which can run lets say Microsoft Office, iTunes/Windows Media player, an internet browser with multiple tabs open at one time. Luckily your budget is high enough to get some machines that I would recommend. Here is a list of machines which suits your budget and are a personal favourite of mine just by looking at the specs. (As far as makes go I love Acer & Toshiba)

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/laptops/315_3226_30328_xx_xx/400-650-criteria.html
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/toshiba-satellite-u940-10p-14-ultrabook-silver-17056581-pdt.html

If they don't tickle your fancy then look out for the following specs:
2GB - 4GB RAM
500GB+ HDD
Intel Core i3 or higher processor

Hope I managed to help you.
You should email your university and ask them what operating system they use. I would suspect that they would want windows 7. Also what do you what to do with it.Do you want to just type up Word documents? or do you want to play gamesif not you shouldn't have to spend too much :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
You should look at websites which give discounts to students/prospective students such as Dell. Dell are very good for customer service and prices are normally reasonable. :smile: www.dell-sci.co.ukAlso here's a link to a thread i found that might be useful although it is old http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1021573
Reply 4
One that has a screen big enough so people behind you can watch you browse cat images during lectures.
Reply 5
Original post by DanielSheen
Well your budget tells me your after a powerful Windows computer which can run lets say Microsoft Office, iTunes/Windows Media player, an internet browser with multiple tabs open at one time. Luckily your budget is high enough to get some machines that I would recommend. Here is a list of machines which suits your budget and are a personal favourite of mine just by looking at the specs. (As far as makes go I love Acer & Toshiba)

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/toshiba-satellite-u940-10p-14-ultrabook-silver-17056581-pdt.html

2GB - 4GB RAM
500GB+ HDD

You summed me up well there :smile: Ive been looking at windows but now im starting to think that it could be an investment maybe to buy a macbook as every windows laptop ive had has seemed to get slower and less repsonsive really quickly, I mean the laptop I have now has 4gb and 500gb HDD but it just seems to have turned really slow! What do you reckon?
Reply 6
Original post by jashfield730
You should email your university and ask them what operating system they use. I would suspect that they would want windows 7. Also what do you what to do with it.Do you want to just type up Word documents? or do you want to play gamesif not you shouldn't have to spend too much :smile:

Im pretty sure they will be using windows, and it would just be used for surfing internet, doing essays and listening to music, but probably all at the same time :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by jashfield730
You should look at websites which give discounts to students/prospective students such as Dell. Dell are very good for customer service and prices are normally reasonable. :smile: www.dell-sci.co.ukAlso here's a link to a thread i found that might be useful although it is old http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1021573

Thank you :smile:
Original post by jackpolson1
You summed me up well there :smile: Ive been looking at windows but now im starting to think that it could be an investment maybe to buy a macbook as every windows laptop ive had has seemed to get slower and less repsonsive really quickly, I mean the laptop I have now has 4gb and 500gb HDD but it just seems to have turned really slow! What do you reckon?

Well I have never had a MacBook, but in a few weeks I am getting one myself. I think it is a good idea for what you need it for as it is Microsoft office compatible, you can run Windows if you need to on it using boot camp too. I have spoken to a few friends who have done this and claim it is more powerful running Mac OS, and Windows on a mac.
Reply 9

I made the switch from Windows to Mac recently, and I love my Mac. It's quite away from your budget, though. I saved up with the intention of buying one. I wanted to have it a few months before starting uni, so that I could get used to the way to the way it works in time! :smile:
Reply 10
Well I have never had a MacBook, but in a few weeks I am getting one myself. I think it is a good idea for what you need it for as it is Microsoft office compatible, you can run Windows if you need to on it using boot camp too. I have spoken to a few friends who have done this and claim it is more powerful running Mac OS, and Windows on a mac.

What are the costs involved with running both systems on a mac and would a basic macbook be able to run both with ease? Im guessing your friends mac's ae quite powerful!

Original post by lascelles
I made the switch from Windows to Mac recently, and I love my Mac. It's quite away from your budget, though. I saved up with the intention of buying one. I wanted to have it a few months before starting uni, so that I could get used to the way to the way it works in time! :smile:

I have the money to get one, i just didnt think i could justify paying the price for one if i was only using it for basic things, would you recommend one just for things that I would be using it for like essays, music, internet or should i stick to my budget?

I have the money to get one, i just didnt think i could justify paying the price for one if i was only using it for basic things, would you recommend one just for things that I would be using it for like essays, music, internet or should i stick to my budget?

Yeah, my brother keeps saying to me that I might as well have just bought a cheaper Windows laptop, but I knew what I wanted and stuck to my guns. I like how easily my laptop, phone and iPod all connect to each other. My brother has recently gone all anti-Apple, despite having had two iPhones and loads of iPods!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
You get money off macs if you're a student or going to university, which is worth looking into! I love my macbook and would never go back to windows. I have the lowest spec 13 inch mbp from 2011, but it's definitely capable of running bootcamp and windows if I wanted to. I just bought mac versions of Microsoft though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are the costs involved with running both systems on a mac and would a basic macbook be able to run both with ease? Im guessing your friends mac's ae quite powerful!

As far as I know my mates macbook is a Macbook Pro, I am unsure on the age of the laptop or what specifications it has, I assume it is a default one they sell in Apple shops. However, if you don't have a macbook in 2 weeks time I will be able to get my Mac, put windows on it and test it out, the one I will be getting is the default 13" priced at £999.00. I am sure you will need a Windows 7 disc to put it on the Mac, just like you do with any computer, but I am unsure.

If you can utilize the power the Mac offers then I would certainly say to get it. For example I am a web design student who will need Microsoft Office, iTunes, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, InDesign and maybe some other Adobe programs. I think you wouldn't waste your money if you DID buy a mac, but if you would like to save money the models I mentioned above are perfect for what you need it for.

Original post by hannxo
You get money off macs if you're a student or going to university, which is worth looking into! I love my macbook and would never go back to windows. I have the lowest spec 13 inch mbp from 2011, but it's definitely capable of running bootcamp and windows if I wanted to. I just bought mac versions of Microsoft though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, yes I will be ordering from the Education store myself but bearing in mind you will need to be a confirmed University/College student to qualify for the discount, and unless you want to talk to someone over the phone you need to also be on the University network in order to buy one with the discount.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Well you can get a really good 'windows based' computer in that budget. I have a mac book air and it has been the best investment i have made. Windows does tend to get slower but it has many advantages such as software compatibility which mac doesnt have much. However a macbook will give you around 9-10 hours of battery life, a very powerful processor and i think the lack of softwares just makes it even faster. But i'd definitely recommend a macbook if you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I am thinking about getting a new laptop for next September when I start my Masters. My current computer is still good - not too slow, 500Gb HDD, 4 gb ram cor i5 however I find that is rather heavy (about 3 kg) to be walking around with it. As well as it not having a decent battery life (1 hr).

So OP be careful when looking at a new laptop, not just about the technical specs but also battery and weight.

In fact I am considering buying a Macbook air as they are very light (1.2kg) and have a very good battery life, the only thing keeping me back is the price tag. (Apple is always a bit more expensive than a comparable other branded laptop and since I come form a small island prices tend to be even slightly higher due to shipping costs and possibly lower demand than in larger countries)

Any idea if the educational prices are available for every country? Or if I'd be able to order from the UK and have it delivered to Malta. Or would I have to wait till I arrive at the university as it seems I have to be connected to their network in order to access the site.
Reply 16
Re Apple, keep in mind as well that you might need to buy converters, if you need to connect to a projector yo need a converter, the Air does not have en Ethernet port therefore if your accommodation has cabled internet only you'd need another converter (USB to Etherent) to connect to the internet. So there are those 'hidden' costs apart from the internet.

I used to be anti-Apple mainly due to these facts, however I am starting to see the other advantages now.
Reply 17
Yea it does tend to be pricy, specially with all the add-ons such as ethernet, hdmi, projector dongles and all. But it depends whether you want to move around with it alot and what your budget is. I got a 15% student discount at the apple store and my iCare (warranty, replace the laptop if stolen, if broken, whatever happens etc.. Do some research) i got a 90%discount off it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
And you have icloud services which track your laptop if stolen and all your documents remain online so that its always safe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19

2GB - 4GB RAM
500GB+ HDD

With that price range you can exceed these specs. Check websites like ebuyer.com sometimes have great deals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending