The Student Room Group

Warwick or York or a year out???

Hi,

I'm a bit stuck over what to do with my uni's. I have had offers from Warwick and York to do History but York didn't appeal to me on the open day as a place to live whereas Warwick did. Is York nice? and how is the course?

Warwick on the other hand i really like except that the course doesn't quite have what i want. I'm really into American history especially 1600-1900 as well as Empire in general but there seems little of this at Warwick. If anyone knows any different please say!!

As a result of this dilemma i am considering taking a year out and re-applying to try and get a uni with a course I like but don't know if courses will change in a year. Any advice or thoughts please post!!

Original post by mgm4321
Hi,

I'm a bit stuck over what to do with my uni's. I have had offers from Warwick and York to do History but York didn't appeal to me on the open day as a place to live whereas Warwick did. Is York nice? and how is the course?

Warwick on the other hand i really like except that the course doesn't quite have what i want. I'm really into American history especially 1600-1900 as well as Empire in general but there seems little of this at Warwick. If anyone knows any different please say!!

As a result of this dilemma i am considering taking a year out and re-applying to try and get a uni with a course I like but don't know if courses will change in a year. Any advice or thoughts please post!!

I went to York and loved it, but I know people who have visited it this year and come away with diametrically opposed opinions! However, remember that you will only live on either campus for your first year and you need to consider your accommodation for your second and third years. If you go to Warwick you are most likely to end up in Coventry, which is not in the same league as York as a city.

Wherever you choose, I agree that the course content is extremely important. If you can't see much of what you want in the Warwick module descriptions then there won't be much. Yes, it could change by the time you get there, but you would have to be fortunate.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
I went to York and loved it, but I know people who have visited it this year and come away with diametrically opposed opinions! However, remember that you will only live on either campus for your first year and you need to consider your accommodation for your second and third years. If you go to Warwick you are most likely to end up in Coventry, which is not in the same league as York as a city.

Wherever you choose, I agree that the course content is extremely important. If you can't see much of what you want in the Warwick module descriptions then there won't be much. Yes, it could change by the time you get there, but you would have to be fortunate.

I hadn't considered the accomodation bit, thank you for reminding me!!
Reply 3
I'm in the same position and finding it very hard to choose... I haven't been to either and I'm going to Warwick soon-ish but I won't have a chance to York so I don't quite fancy firming somewhere I've never been... But if I don't fall in love with Warwick I'll be pretty hard pressed to choose haha. Warwick's course is slightly better for me but not by much, I'm mostly interested in 20th century. But I'm just glad someone else is in the same position!!
Reply 4
Original post by mgm4321
Hi,

I'm a first year history student at Warwick and it sounds like there's loads of modules that would appeal to you. First year modules this year included "Empire and Aftermath", "Latin America, themes and problems", "North America, Themes and problems" and "Politics and society in Africa from 1800" also I've heard (I don't take it myself but it's a very popular module) that the empire and aftermath lecturers are really good and the module is enjoyable.
Second year modules include even loads on American social history, American historical cinema, Colonisation and Empire.
Also, I started my degree thinking I would want to focus on early modern European history but now I've been introduced to African history I love it, so don't just base your choice on modules you think you'll enjoy because there will be many more that you wont expect to enjoy but do.
Reply 5
What you go into university wanting to pursue isn't necessarily how you will feel a year or two into your course, but I appreciate that you will at least want the opportunity to pursue it. My understanding is that there are a lot of modules you can take on the degree at Warwick that would cover history, so if that's where you'd be happiest I'd suggest going there. Warwick is known for giving its students a lot of choice (I study physics there) so I'm sure you will have plenty of options. And just to correct a previous poster, about half of students live in Leamington Spa, which is a very nice town and much superior to Coventry.
Original post by tory88
. And just to correct a previous poster, about half of students live in Leamington Spa, which is a very nice town and much superior to Coventry.

That would be me - I hadn't realised so many students lived in Leamington. And yes, I would agree with your evaluation compared to Coventry! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending