The Student Room Group

5 weeks to revise... Enough?

Just done 3 hours revision (typing up notes, which I find the most effective).

Here's my plan for tomorrow, and it is similar each day, just change of topic.

Is 5 weeks of revisions structured like this on non-school days good enough to get ABB?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2013-04-08 at 16.39.57.png
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Can't really comment on what grades you'll get, as I don't know your abilities. But 5 weeks is surprisingly long. Should be plenty, as long as you already know everything you did in lesson, and it's just a case of getting it stuck in your head and remembering it.
Reply 2
Original post by SheldonWannabe
Can't really comment on what grades you'll get, as I don't know your abilities. But 5 weeks is surprisingly long. Should be plenty, as long as you already know everything you did in lesson, and it's just a case of getting it stuck in your head and remembering it.

I do :smile: I have been getting As in US History and Politics (top of my year for politics), Bs in Chinese history, and Cs in English Lit (:frown:). But overall it's ok. Aiming for ABB.

I have altered my timetable, see the OP for new version.

I started today, but planned too much and ended up spending too long on US history. So I have planned out 6 hours (2hrs for each of my three subjects) for tomorrow. Each day I will alternate topic ... so one day's history revision will focus on US, the next China, and so on. The same for Politics, one day topic 1 Unit 1, next day topic 3 unit 2 and so on.

Thanks :smile: Just worried I may fail because i've left it late
Reply 3
Original post by Phil Dunphy
I do :smile: I have been getting As in US History and Politics (top of my year for politics), Bs in Chinese history, and Cs in English Lit (:frown:). But overall it's ok. Aiming for ABB.

I have altered my timetable, see the OP for new version.

I started today, but planned too much and ended up spending too long on US history. So I have planned out 6 hours (2hrs for each of my three subjects) for tomorrow. Each day I will alternate topic ... so one day's history revision will focus on US, the next China, and so on. The same for Politics, one day topic 1 Unit 1, next day topic 3 unit 2 and so on.

Thanks :smile: Just worried I may fail because i've left it late

I am doing Politics AS?

How are you finding it. Edexcel.

How many topics are you learning?
Reply 4
Original post by sammyvine
I am doing Politics AS?

How are you finding it. Edexcel.

How many topics are you learning?

I'm doing AQA, but I believe they're the same topics? :smile: If so I am doing: Unit 1 - Participation & VB, Electoral Systems and Political Parties. Unit 2 - Core Executive, Multi-level Governance and Parliament

How about you?
yh thats easily done just make sure u revise lol
Reply 6
Original post by iamgreatness
yh thats easily done just make sure u revise lol

I start tomorrow! So it IS enough time? :smile:
I start tomorrow! So it IS enough time? :smile:

yes but dont start tomorrow start night mate
Reply 8
Original post by iamgreatness
yes but dont start tomorrow start night mate

Doubt it'll make much difference! I have done four hours of History and politics revision today. :smile:
Reply 9
Doubt it'll make much difference! I have done four hours of History and politics revision today. :smile:

I am doing Pressure groups, Democracy and elects for unit 1

No idea what i am gonna do for unit 2
Reply 10
Original post by sammyvine
I am doing Pressure groups, Democracy and elects for unit 1

No idea what i am gonna do for unit 2

Do tou have four topics too?
Reply 11
Just done 3 hours revision (typing up notes, which I find the most effective).

Here's my plan for tomorrow, and it is similar each day, just change of topic.

Is 5 weeks of revisions structured like this on non-school days good enough to get ABB?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2013-04-08 at 16.39.57.png

Are you doing edexcel politics? I haven't started revision yet and my teachers pretty useless so we haven't really learnt anything all year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
you should re structure your times, your apparently having a break and starting a new topic at the same time. do something like 11:00 to 11:45 then a 15 min break. after this start your next topic and continue like this throughout the day. other than that aslong as you really stick to your plan you should be fine but make sure you understand everything, test yourself with past papers then identify areas you struggled with.. blah blah you should know i guess. good luck!
Reply 13
I'm taking politics and find it's the one I have to revise for the most out of my other options. I too, have a timetable... but I've found that I'm rarely able to stick to the time constraints (2 hours per subject, 3 subjects a day), once leading to me revising for 14 hours (which is excessive). So perhaps its best if you spend as long as you need to, in order to meet your 'objectives' for each day, and if you find you're spending too much time on an objective, perhaps split it over two days.

Anyway, I only started to properly revise Unit 1 Politics (Edexcel) shortly before the Christmas break, so I had roughly 4 weeks to revise it and ended up with an A (94%, although I wasn't expecting it). If it matters, I answered the democracy question and electoral system question. Make sure you attempt as many past paper questions as you can, and go over them with your teacher (preferably during your break or after school, so you have all of your teacher's attention).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Dariush.
you should re structure your times, your apparently having a break and starting a new topic at the same time. do something like 11:00 to 11:45 then a 15 min break. after this start your next topic and continue like this throughout the day. other than that aslong as you really stick to your plan you should be fine but make sure you understand everything, test yourself with past papers then identify areas you struggled with.. blah blah you should know i guess. good luck!

Where too? :smile:

Original post by TheMan100
I'm taking politics and find it's the one I have to revise for the most out of my other options. I too, have a timetable... but I've found that I'm rarely able to stick to the time constraints (2 hours per subject, 3 subjects a day), once leading to me revising for 14 hours (which is excessive). So perhaps its best if you spend as long as you need to, in order to meet your 'objectives' for each day, and if you find you're spending too much time on an objective, perhaps split it over two days.

Anyway, I only started to properly revise Unit 1 Politics (Edexcel) shortly before the Christmas break, so I had roughly 4 weeks to revise it and ended up with an A (94%, although I wasn't expecting it). If it matters, I answered the democracy question and electoral system question. Make sure you attempt as many past paper questions as you can, and go over them with your teacher (preferably during your break or after school, so you have all of your teacher's attention).

How did you revise? What methods? :smile: 94% is excellent. Bravo!
I hope so....
Reply 16
Where too? :smile:

personally, i would write up all of my notes for everything just so it is out of the way, this gave me more time to focus on coursework aswell...

after making the notes i would read through them repeatedly until it would make sense before reading all of the notes on a topic. this was my sign that i understood a topic. this takes time so don't expect it to happen overnight!!

read notes for 15 mins have a 5 min break then do it again and again. After you feel confident about your notes and you understand the topics do a past paper.

when you have completed it (without looking at notes or anything else that could help you) mark it, don't give yourself marks because you nearly got it right, follow the mark scheme and be strict. identify anything that may show a lack of understanding and circle it. after you have identified areas of concern go back to your notes! if you then realize you haven't gone into enough detail or haven't included information, add them to your notes. this will only better your understanding.

remember, rehearsing the information is key to your revision. just because you did good in a past paper doesn't mean you should stop revising, just stick to your plan and no slacking.
i hoped this helped!
Reply 17

I looked over all my notes.

I looked at other people's notes.

Made sure I knew lots of statistics, e.g. regarding election results.

Did past paper questions and went over them with my teacher.

Read some areas of the book (Andrew Heywoods: Essentials of UK Politics) concerning topics I wasn't too sure of.

Have a list of basic facts (for quickly skimming over), then also have a few documents that elaborate upon these points (to help reinforce the ins and outs of said facts).

Think that's it.

Good luck :smile:.
Reply 18

Wow i am doing edexcel unit 1 and unit 2 politics?

I was thinking of learning 3 topics, (democracy, elections and pressure groups).
Reply 19

I looked over all my notes.

I looked at other people's notes.

Made sure I knew lots of statistics, e.g. regarding election results.

Did past paper questions and went over them with my teacher.

Read some areas of the book (Andrew Heywoods: Essentials of UK Politics) concerning topics I wasn't too sure of.

Have a list of basic facts (for quickly skimming over), then also have a few documents that elaborate upon these points (to help reinforce the ins and outs of said facts).

Think that's it.

Good luck :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending