The Student Room Group

Art Foundation Diploma 2013, making your choice

Hi guys,
basically, as like many of you probably have done too i've heard back from all the art foundation diploma applications now
i'm finding making the final decision very difficult
i was wondering like either from now or past experience what has helped you make your choice
and if any of you attend any art foundation courses what do you like about them and why, or if you've heard anything about them..
i've got into camberwell, oxford brookes and ravensbourne and just cannot decide!!
please help!!
Katie :confused:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Im not doing an art course, but I absolutely LOVE Oxford Brooke's! It amazing! They've just built new accommodation which is awesome. And seeing as your doing art, they have amazing places like the ashmoleon and loads of exhibits. It's such an old but beautiful place- that if you like to draw, there's loads of places to go!
Its also a great uni experience, and the whole place is pretty much just students, because Oxford university is just down the road! :smile:
hi, i went through the whole application process last year (just finishing up my foundation now) and got into a few places around the country too (camberwell, leeds college of art, manchester school of art, UCA) and chose camberwell because i really wanted to do my degree there so i thought i would take advantage of their internal progression scheme haha, got in so it was worth it! i also chose it because i wanted to experience living in london, and it would be easy for me to visit home if i wanted to. for the record i've had an absolutely amazing time here and i really recommend it! :smile:

i can't really tell you much about the other places you got offers from, though i hear ravensbourne discourage drawing and i have a friend who studies there who hates it, though i guess that's just one person's experience. good luck with your decision, and if you have any questions about camberwell i'll be happy to answer them!
Reply 3
Thanks guys!! I'm mostly stuck between Oxford Brooke's and camberwell because I heard that about ravensbourne too, I like the drawing side or stuff and never done any graphics, what pathway did you choose at camberwell? And I'm looking to do 3D do they have good 3D resources?? I really did like the Oxford Brooke's place but Im finding camberwell hard to turn down as it has a good name

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kattyratty
Thanks guys!! I'm mostly stuck between Oxford Brooke's and camberwell because I heard that about ravensbourne too, I like the drawing side or stuff and never done any graphics, what pathway did you choose at camberwell? And I'm looking to do 3D do they have good 3D resources?? I really did like the Oxford Brooke's place but Im finding camberwell hard to turn down as it has a good name

Posted from TSR Mobile

i do illustration, but my flatmate does 3D/spatial. we've got a 3D workshop in the foundation building, and then as a UAL student you can go and use any of the facilities in the colleges, so it's good to know you're able to go to the main camberwell building. :smile: i've never worked with 3D so i don't know how useful the equipment is, but camberwell is known to be really good for having easy access facilities to use. i would say go for the course you have the best feelings about - i'm sure students at both courses come out with some great offers!
Reply 5
Thanks again :smile: where do you think your gunna go next year after the foundation?? Awww that sounds good, illustration is also something i would like to have a go at :smile: how is the travelling by the way and do you live up there or at home?? Sorry for all the questions loool :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks again :smile: where do you think your gunna go next year after the foundation?? Awww that sounds good, illustration is also something i would like to have a go at :smile: how is the travelling by the way and do you live up there or at home?? Sorry for all the questions loool :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's okay! i have offers from camberwell, kingston and LCC and will be staying here at camberwell. :smile: i'm living in halls so i only have to walk down the road haha, but most people commute from 1-2 hours away. you get three studio days a week so i guess it's not too much of a hassle if you have to travel quite far!
Reply 7
I live about 1hrs train journey away, I'm sorta beginning to think about living in, would you suggest living in rather than staying at home?? Ahhh that's really good well done, Kingston aswell! You must be really good loool

Posted from TSR Mobile
I live about 1hrs train journey away, I'm sorta beginning to think about living in, would you suggest living in rather than staying at home?? Ahhh that's really good well done, Kingston aswell! You must be really good loool

Posted from TSR Mobile

well you get no student loan, so it's a question of whether you would be able to afford it. it's great living so close and independently, but my rent is £160pw (this is for the cheapest hall) and the prices always go up year to year. yeah, i got an unconditional from kingston, i was very surprised!
Reply 9
Hi guys! :smile:

I've decided that i'm going to Kingston to do my art foundation (tough decision between CSM and Kingston) but i'm really excited!
Unfortunately I don't qualify for halls and I have to commute a 40 min drive or so (on a good day) anyone else commuting? I thought about trying to get a room but I can't access the Daily list thingy till June/July and it's looking really expensive as compared with petrol money :frown:
Reply 10
Wow that is really good to have offers from both you are very lucky!! That choice must have been hard loool what helped you decide? I've decided to live at home for the foundation year, cheapest option I think but if I end up going to Oxford Brooke's it's gunna be like 50 min drive, painful! Just think though it's only for a year, not even that sept-may and its gunna go so quick!! What are you thinking of doing for degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow that is really good to have offers from both you are very lucky!! That choice must have been hard loool what helped you decide? I've decided to live at home for the foundation year, cheapest option I think but if I end up going to Oxford Brooke's it's gunna be like 50 min drive, painful! Just think though it's only for a year, not even that sept-may and its gunna go so quick!! What are you thinking of doing for degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was so surprised! In the end someone I know who had the same choice last year and chose Kingston helped me to decide :smile: Plus the 100 students to the same number of staff as the 1500 at CSM get! (and the bar, the bar helped :wink: but seriously I think I probably will as well although I would have loved to be able to be living closer to the uni without the commute! Good luck with yours! I agree with you on the sept-may plus people seem to enjoy it so much the commute doesn't matter :smile: I'm not sure possibly graphic design, how about you?
Reply 12
hi i was lucky enough to get in to UCA Epsom, Ravensbourne, KCC, Kingston and CSM, but Im having a tough time choosing between CSM and Kingston.
I like both so much! Im also living in london (at home - cheaper) and close to both.
Any help?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by lifeismusic
I was so surprised! In the end someone I know who had the same choice last year and chose Kingston helped me to decide :smile: Plus the 100 students to the same number of staff as the 1500 at CSM get! (and the bar, the bar helped :wink: but seriously I think I probably will as well although I would have loved to be able to be living closer to the uni without the commute! Good luck with yours! I agree with you on the sept-may plus people seem to enjoy it so much the commute doesn't matter :smile: I'm not sure possibly graphic design, how about you?

Awww that's cool, you had a choice of such good courses! I wasnt confident enough to put myself in to apply for csm or kingston haha went for ccw instead, I was sure I wouldn't get in there either I'm suprised!! Yeah I'm worried about the big numbers at ccw, but the resources sound good so I'm not worried :smile: ahh cool cool :smile: I have no idea I like 3D stuff by not sure what to so with it lool

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by LilyEve
hi i was lucky enough to get in to UCA Epsom, Ravensbourne, KCC, Kingston and CSM, but Im having a tough time choosing between CSM and Kingston.
I like both so much! Im also living in london (at home - cheaper) and close to both.
Any help?

Whoaaaa that is alot of choice there!! Well done that's really good you must be happy hahaha, well I guess it's hard to decide but visiting open days and shows is definitely one way to help you decide, also whether you like being in a smaller year compared to huge numbers at csm? I actually really liked csm when I visited it's such a nice place really arty atmosphere, not sure what Kingston is like, a lot of people seem to be picking Kingston over csm though so that might be saying something!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've decided that i'm going to Kingston to do my art foundation (tough decision between CSM and Kingston) but i'm really excited!
Unfortunately I don't qualify for halls and I have to commute a 40 min drive or so (on a good day) anyone else commuting? I thought about trying to get a room but I can't access the Daily list thingy till June/July and it's looking really expensive as compared with petrol money :frown:

Im going to Kingston to do my art foundation as well :wink:)

Im going to Kingston to do my art foundation as well :wink:)
Reply 17
Hey guys I really need help as well! Please help me!!
i got offer from CCW foundation,and UCA Epsom foundation
i don't know which one i should choose
first I don't really like the environment of CCW I feel that I can't breathe ttheir
second I do really like the environment of UCA,it is feel really relax and more aattention but I am worried if I do the foundation at CCW of UAL, isn't it easier to get in CSM in the future? Thx for help me please help me
Reply 18
Doing your foundation at CCW doesn't make it easier to get into CSM, but then neither does doing it at UCA. Of the two, CCW is by far the best. It's one of the best in the country. In my opinion, you'd be silly to give up the opportunity to work there. It's a really relaxed course by all accounts so don't worry about that.
Reply 19
So, u think it is better to have a try at the Camberwell of foundation ? Thank you for ur help

Quick Reply

Latest