The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by furryface12
What on earth is CCS?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Carbon Capture Storage
Original post by TheFootyKing19
Carbon Capture Storage

Ahh never heard of it :eek: Haven't finished unit 4 yet though, so hopefully it's in there?
Reply 102
Original post by furryface12
Ahh never heard of it :eek: Haven't finished unit 4 yet though, so hopefully it's in there?

Yeah I think it's in module 4
What is the bond fission in nucleophilic substitution (1)
Define functional group (1)
Give 2 uses of methanol (2)
Give 2 advantages of catalytic cracking (2)
Outline the processing of waste polymers (3)
Give the shape and bond angle in pentane (2)
Why are some alcohols soluble in water (2)
Go the reagents and conditions to oxidise propan-1-ol and state the colour change (5)
What is the bond fission in nucleophilic substitution (1)
Define functional group (1)
Give 2 uses of methanol (2)
Give 2 advantages of catalytic cracking (2)
Outline the processing of waste polymers (3)
Give the shape and bond angle in pentane (2)
Why are some alcohols soluble in water (2)
Go the reagents and conditions to oxidise propan-1-ol and state the colour change (5)

What is the bond fission in nucleophilic substitution (1) heterolytic fission
Define functional group (1) the group which determines the chemical properties of a reagent
Give 2 uses of methanol (2) methylated spirits and anti-freeze
Give 2 advantages of catalytic cracking (2) it produces shorter chained alkanes which are more useful as fuels. It also produces an alkene
Outline the processing of waste polymers (3) they are recycled. This is the sorting of different polymers they are then melted and used to make new polymers(plastics)
Give the shape and bond angle in pentane (2) tetrahedral 109.5
Why are some alcohols soluble in water (2) because the alcahol group is polar so it forms hydrogen bonds with water, however the hydrocarbon part is non polar so the larger it gets the less soluble it becomes.
Go the reagents and conditions to oxidise propan-1-ol and state the colour change (5) its heated under reflux in the presence of potassium dichromate ions a hydrogen molecule is removed to form an aldehyde propanal then it is heated furthur to produce propanoic acid the colour changes from orange to green.
How many marks is this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 105
when asking for a cylic structure will it always contain 6 carbons contrary to the stem name ie. hex - 1 - yne
Original post by diggy
when asking for a cylic structure will it always contain 6 carbons contrary to the stem name ie. hex - 1 - yne

Yeh but that would have been called cylohex-1-ene and it would have a double bond with six carbon atoms :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Green chemistry is so boring...

Also, do I really need to learn the catalysts, and specific temperatures and pressures for EVERY reaction?? I know all the catalysts pretty much, but I would really rather not memorise the temperatures and pressures if I don't have to.
Original post by GeneralOJB
Green chemistry is so boring...

Also, do I really need to learn the catalysts, and specific temperatures and pressures for EVERY reaction?? I know all the catalysts pretty much, but I would really rather not memorise the temperatures and pressures if I don't have to.

I doubt they'd ask for the exact temperature. I'd imagine you'd have to talk about high temperature low pressure for some reactions. Does it say anything in the specification?
Yeah. You do need to know about all the catalysts and temperatures required for each reaction.

Turns up in exam questions very often! Easy marks
Yeah. You do need to know about all the catalysts and temperatures required for each reaction.

Turns up in exam questions very often! Easy marks

Yeh you're right :smile: i have seen them ask for the conditions for certain reactions and the mark scheme is soo precise :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can I ask you guys, that may have already sat one of the AS OCR Chemistry exams;
How hard are these exams? How hard is it to get a B overall?

Thanks
Reply 112
Don't understand the mass spec and infrared spec at all, what kind of questions can they ask us?
Original post by Loiks94
Don't understand the mass spec and infrared spec at all, what kind of questions can they ask us?

They usually ask 7 mark questions including both techniques, but occasionally there have been questions where you just work out the average atomic mass of an element from their isotopic abundance.

Question 6 on this question paper is a very good example of the larger marked ones. (This is 10 marks)
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/65360-question-paper-unit-f322-chains-energy-and-resources.pdf

(Confused as to why I got a neg rating?)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by GeographyEllie
Can I ask you guys, that may have already sat one of the AS OCR Chemistry exams;

Thanks

I'm in my A2 year, and in january I resat unit 1 and now im resitting unit 2 in june. I just scraped a B at AS, i got a C in practicals, C in unit 1 and and a B in unit 2. Now i've brought my AS grade up to an A by resitting some practicals and unit 1. If you know the content well it's fairly easy to get a B at AS. How much revision have u done? How do u do in class tests?
Original post by GeographyEllie

Thanks

I sat F321 and got an A. The exams are easy if you prepare. I find chemistry the hardest to get high marks on (compared to maths and physics). Exam technique is very important with OCR Chemistry and you should do all the most recent past papers.
Anyone want to start revision questions?
Define stereoisomer? (2)
What catalyst is used in hydration? (1)
What catalyst is used in elimination? (1)
How does catalytic converter work? (4)
Anyone want to start revision questions?
Define stereoisomer? (2)
What catalyst is used in hydration? (1)
What catalyst is used in elimination? (1)
How does catalytic converter work? (4)

1) An isomer with the same structural formula but a different arrangement of atoms in space.
2) H3PO4
3) H2SO4
4) Catalytic converters contain a Pt/Rh/Pd catalyst. Molecules such as NO and CO adsorb onto the catalyst surface, where the bonds are weakened and they react to form less harmful gases like N2 and CO2. They then desorb off the surface.
Define activation energy.
Define functional group.
Write the structural formulas of butanal and butanol.
Write the equations for the depletion of ozone by chlorine radicals and nitrogen oxides, and include the overall equation.
How would you form the ester butyl propanoate from propanoic acid?
How do you make margarine? :P
Write an equation for the oxidation of propan-1-ol. (under reflux).
Original post by needtosucceed=)
I'm in my A2 year, and in january I resat unit 1 and now im resitting unit 2 in june. I just scraped a B at AS, i got a C in practicals, C in unit 1 and and a B in unit 2. Now i've brought my AS grade up to an A by resitting some practicals and unit 1. If you know the content well it's fairly easy to get a B at AS. How much revision have u done? How do u do in class tests?

Okay :smile: Well done!
I'm currently on a C in practical, but have one last practical next week, where if I gain 3 more marks, I'll be on a B.
In class tests, I'm usually good, I range from 60-80%, but really I need to be securing the 80%.

I'm doing one hour of revision for Chemistry a day, on top of lessons, so averaging out to about 16 hours of Chemistry a week :smile:

Thank you for reply!! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending