The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Democracy
Similarly, I'll be pleased when individualism and selfishness (which Thatcher taught us so well) die...rejoicing over her passing makes little sense when her vile ideology still dominates the political landscape.

Sorry to go off topic, but why do you consider individualism a "vile ideology"?

Anyway, I just deleted two uber-leftist "friends" from Facebook (long time coming) for making some cruel comments regarding her death. Don't get me wrong its not like it offends me or anything, I've never cared for Thatcher or the Tories, I just don't really want immature, undiginified idiots like that on my Facebook.
Reply 61
Original post by Endless Blue
Sure. Of course there is reason to celebrate some people's death, contrary to what the user I quoted was saying. Is celebrating Hitler's death unacceptable, then?

I think it's a bit wrong to celebrate his death. Contrary to popular belief, Hitler was still a human being.
There is reason to celebrate the repercussions of his death, but not the death itself.
Nobody deserves death, but they deserve justified punishment.

We could argue for a long time that the just punishment for Hitler was death, but let's remember that he did kill himself, nobody ever actually punished him. I don't know, it's all very messy.

I think people just need to be careful realising what they're cheering on when they're happy that Margaret Thatcher has died.
Original post by Eboracum
Anyone cheering or celebrating is a disgrace. You never cheer somebodies death. Ever.

What about hitler, stalin, pol pot?
Reply 63
The amount of annoying pseudo-politicians on facebook today is ridiculous, I can understand disagreeing with her ideologies but considering most people weren't even alive during the time she was in office, celebrating her death just seems pathetic and a cry for attention
Original post by Greenlaner
Sorry to go off topic, but why do you consider individualism a "vile ideology"?

Because it's led to a situation today where people who need extra support or benefits are viewed as "scroungers" or "shirkers" by a great many of us. It's untrammeled selfishness, and her Sermon on the Mound doesn't change the fact that she encouraged a deeply unchristian philosophy (something which further convinces me that pious Tories view Christianity as simply a convenient stick with which to beat gays more than anything else).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by bertstare
The amount of annoying pseudo-politicians on facebook today is ridiculous, I can understand disagreeing with her ideologies but considering most people weren't even alive during the time she was in office, celebrating her death just seems pathetic and a cry for attention

Agreed, a lot of people on TSR are saying that Thatcher was great, even though they were not alive when she was in power, yet complain about Cameron :rolleyes:. Unless one was alive when she was in power, then one cannot really have a valid opinion of her rule. I'm old enough to remember it, and unless you had money, she could not give a stuff about you.
Original post by tjf8
Yeah, well, Thatcher did ban free milk for kids. 1-0.

'Damn her :fuhrer:'
I don't believe rejoicing at her right, People hide behind freedom of speech instead of showing some respect.
Reply 68
Original post by SpiggyTopes
No, the death of nobody deserves rejoice.

Hitler?
Reply 69
Original post by CelticSymphony67
Agreed, a lot of people on TSR are saying that Thatcher was great, even though they were not alive when she was in power, yet complain about Cameron :rolleyes:. Unless one was alive when she was in power, then one cannot really have a valid opinion of her rule. I'm old enough to remember it, and unless you had money, she could not give a stuff about you.

What a ridiculous statement. Do you seriously believe that people can only have true opinions on things that they were alive to experience?
What are the complaints about Cameron regarding? Context is fairly important in making that claim.
As for your opinion she did not just care about the rich...
Reply 70

True, the person I know who said he'd have a party when she died wasn't alive when she was in power and I get the impression that his hatred is just based on what his parents have told him :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ed-
What a ridiculous statement. Do you seriously believe that people can only have true opinions on things that they were alive to experience?
What are the complaints about Cameron regarding? Context is fairly important in making that claim.
As for your opinion she did not just care about the rich...

I have seen people on here complain about Cameron, yet say that Thatcher was wonderful. Cameron and Thatcher are the same. As for her preferring the rich, hello!! Poll Tax, expecting a traffic warden to pay the same charge as a Duke of the Realm. Bonkers! With all due respect, I see you are 22, so did not live in Thatchers Britain. I'm 10 years older than you, and I lived in Thatchers Britain, albeit young.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Olie
True, the person I know who said he'd have a party when she died wasn't alive when she was in power and I get the impression that his hatred is just based on what his parents have told him :rolleyes:

Very True. Some people on here have not got a clue about Thatcher, and they just believe what the papers said, today's politicians or there parents.
Reply 73
What is more sickening is the awful comments on facebook, made by young people who have joined the 'we hate Thatcher' bandwagon, becoming suddenly very political when they probably have no thorough knowledge about her political policies.
Reply 74
As many others have said, no-one's death should be celebrated.
I dislike Thatcher and a lot of her former policies (yes I know I didn't live in Thatcher's Britain but I can still learn what her policies where) however I would never rejoice in her or anyone else's death.
Reply 75
I have seen people on here complain about Cameron, yet say that Thatcher was wonderful. Cameron and Thatcher are the same. As for her preferring the rich, hello!! Poll Tax, expecting a traffic warden to pay the same charge as a Duke of the Realm. Bonkers! With all due respect, I see you are 22, so did not live in Thatchers Britain. I'm a lot older than you, and I lived in Thatchers Britain, so I think I'm more qualified to talk about it.

They may hold similar ideologies but they've by no means passed the same policies.
They have completely different backgrounds too.
The only right-wing complaint I've heard of Cameron is that he's not enough like her - which I would agree with to an extent. But then she wasn't held back by a coalition.

I don't think she expected them to pay the same but the same percentage. I see nothing wrong with that.
Lefties just don't understand the concept of low taxation. It's a big debate that I'm not going into right now but I can tell you it has nothing to do with not caring about the poor.

Being older doesn't make you anymore qualified at all. And I'm 20 by the way.
Maybe studying politics to a larger extent than me could make you more qualified.
In fact, being alive during those times could make your view biased and warped to one opinion - especially if you have links to miners. Therefore making you less qualified since my view's objective (despite having a miner as an uncle).
Who are you to say that I don't understand the effect her policies had on certain groups of people? I understand perfectly well.
Reply 76
Original post by Olie

Inherited bitterness and spite...
Original post by scotttb
Hitler?

The fact he was no longer leader of Germany etc. was worth rejoice, his death was not. Ideally he would have been imprisoned forever, obviously not possible for two big reasons.
Original post by 3 Phase Duck
What about hitler, stalin, pol pot?

The fact they're no longer brutal fascist leaders is worth rejoice, their deaths aren't. Ideally they'd be imprisoned forever but that's obviously not possible.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ed-
They may hold similar ideologies but they've by no means passed the same policies.
They have completely different backgrounds too.
The only right-wing complaint I've heard of Cameron is that he's not enough like her - which I would agree with to an extent. But then she wasn't held back by a coalition.

I don't think she expected them to pay the same but the same percentage. I see nothing wrong with that.
Lefties just don't understand the concept of low taxation. It's a big debate that I'm not going into right now but I can tell you it has nothing to do with not caring about the poor.

Being older doesn't make you anymore qualified at all. And I'm 20 by the way.
Maybe studying politics to a larger extent than me could make you more qualified.
In fact, being alive during those times could make your view biased and warped to one opinion - especially if you have links to miners. Therefore making you less qualified since my view's objective (despite having a miner as an uncle).
Who are you to say that I don't understand the effect her policies had on certain groups of people? I understand perfectly well.

If you understood her policies my friend, then you would not be thinking too much about her, that's for sure. She ruined large areas of the UK, the only areas not to suffer from Thatchers policies are the Home Counties. Anywhere with manufacturing? Knackered!!

Latest

Trending

Trending