The Student Room Group

Medicine from BTEC

Hi people,

Does anyone know universities that allow BTEC level 3 applied science to study medicine at university?

Many thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I cannot think of any course that does not ask for alevels,highers etc so I pretty much believe BTECs are out of the question for medicine, though you can have 2alevels and a btec and get a way with it, but honestly its unlikely to be frank
Original post by Brentton
Hi people,

Does anyone know universities that allow BTEC level 3 applied science to study medicine at university?

Many thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm no expert but I don't think they exist.

Your best bet would probably be a foundation year, if you cannot sit A Levels. But even then, you are limited without A Levels I believe.

Try this site

http://www.medschools.ac.uk/Students/Courses/Pages/FoundationPre-clinicalyear.aspx

Edit: UEA seem to accept it for entry onto their foundation degree.

"BTEC National Diploma (18 Unit) - Distinction, Distinction, Merit"
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Sadly, they dont accept BTEC, but you can go for the access courses/foundation medicine?
Reply 4
So it's basically a no go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So it's basically a no go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For direct entry on to year 1 of an undergraduate degree yes, but look at the foundation year. I linked above that you can gain entry onto that with UEA.
Reply 6
What is UEA?! And I want to study close to home so I don't have to move from home so anywhere in London or around

Posted from TSR Mobile
university of east anglia
Reply 8
What is UEA?! And I want to study close to home so I don't have to move from home so anywhere in London or around

Posted from TSR Mobile

UEA is the University of East Anglia which is located in norwich
Reply 9
Leeds sometimes do, but i did a degree anyway (i did btec national diploma in forensic science) - i think access courses maybe more recommended tho?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Did you study medicine at university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by thatonethere
Leeds sometimes do, but i did a degree anyway (i did btec national diploma in forensic science) - i think access courses maybe more recommended tho?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you study medicine at university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im in my last year doing molecular and.cellular biology at Glasgow but am holding an offer to study medicine at Leeds - i had real issue even as a graduate applicant finding schools that would accept applicants without biology a levels despite my degree!! I narrowed down the schools by calling the ones i was interested in and asking directly, however be prepared to have a very small choice of places that will consider btecs :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Im in my last year doing molecular and.cellular biology at Glasgow but am holding an offer to study medicine at Leeds - i had real issue even as a graduate applicant finding schools that would accept applicants without biology a levels despite my degree!! I narrowed down the schools by calling the ones i was interested in and asking directly, however be prepared to have a very small choice of places that will consider btecs :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My other option was to study biochemistry at university and then go on to post graduate entry medicine? Is that still a tough option?

Posted from TSR Mobile
which btec are you doing? my course is very similar to biochemistry (or could.even be considered it depending on which uni ur looking at) and ive not had an issue with the btec/degree transition - though Scotland operate a four year degree rather than three years so not sure if that makes a difference? also i felt the extra years gave me more time to focus on gaining experiance which i reckon did give me an edge in applying!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
which btec are you doing? my course is very similar to biochemistry (or could.even be considered it depending on which uni ur looking at) and ive not had an issue with the btec/degree transition - though Scotland operate a four year degree rather than three years so not sure if that makes a difference? also i felt the extra years gave me more time to focus on gaining experiance which i reckon did give me an edge in applying!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im studying medical science which consists of more biology and chemistry units. I want to complete a biochemistry degree then study medicine that way but I'm worried that I still may get declined.

Posted from TSR Mobile
what sort of grades u sitting on? I got DDD and expect to require a DDM to be considered because they may still consider your grades prior to university - why are u worried about getting rejected is it primarily because of the btec? also is it only medicine you want to do or would you consider a biochemistry career as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I haven't got my predicted grades yet so I'm not too sure. I really want to study medicine but if worse comes to the worst ill take a career in biochemistry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

University of East Anglia, they offer a foundation year before starting on year 1

Have a look at access courses offered by certain colleges, they have strong partnerships with universities and are recognised for offering a structured course for pre-med studies:

Lambeth College (in London)
College of West Anglia
Sussex Downs College

After studying an access course you can use the qualification to apply to some universities, such as SGUL (located in London), who accept the qualification as a suitable entry requirement.

There are many more courses available, and each has their own set of entry requirements.

BUT make sure you check which universities accept the qualification, by calling/emailing colleges and universities.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply