The Student Room Group

Access course or Alevel?

I want to do Spanish law at university I am 19 and unsure whether to do an access course or normal Alevels!

Also does anyone know if there any grants or something to help pay my alevels because I would be starting at the age of 19.

Any reply is very much appreciated.
Reply 1
Hey!

I'm currently doing an Access Course in Business (Business, Law and IT) It's quite intensive and sometimes feels like you are having to learn at rather a fast pace. However the course is only one year rather than the two required for A levels, this is the main advantage of the Access course.

I can't speak for the quality of the Access courses in your area (for obvious reasons) but the quality of teaching I have received has been excellent and the course so far has been very enjoyable.

I was offered a place at 3/5 of the Universities I applied to for LLB Law which were Kent, Sussex and Surrey (I cancelled my application to Newcastle and Warwick rejected me) so you shouldn't have a problem finding a place at University as long as you don't intend on applying to Universities such as Oxford or Cambridge since they seem to prefer A level students (although I believe it is still possible to achieve a place at these institutes through an Access course!)

It all depends on how ready you think you are to go to University. If you think you may need more time to develop your skills before University then go for the A levels. However if you believe you will be fine with just a year to prepare then I highly recommend doing an Access course.

:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Fonzee
Hey!

I'm currently doing an Access Course in Business (Business, Law and IT) It's quite intensive and sometimes feels like you are having to learn at rather a fast pace. However the course is only one year rather than the two required for A levels, this is the main advantage of the Access course.

I can't speak for the quality of the Access courses in your area (for obvious reasons) but the quality of teaching I have received has been excellent and the course so far has been very enjoyable.

I was offered a place at 3/5 of the Universities I applied to for LLB Law which were Kent, Sussex and Surrey (I cancelled my application to Newcastle and Warwick rejected me) so you shouldn't have a problem finding a place at University as long as you don't intend on applying to Universities such as Oxford or Cambridge since they seem to prefer A level students (although I believe it is still possible to achieve a place at these institutes through an Access course!)

It all depends on how ready you think you are to go to University. If you think you may need more time to develop your skills before University then go for the A levels. However if you believe you will be fine with just a year to prepare then I highly recommend doing an Access course.

:smile:

Thanks for the information,
Did you have to do a LNAT to be considered for those universities?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I also want to be accepted at a Russell group university, and I know I will need distinctions, is it hard to achieve distinctions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by taniacr
I want to do Spanish law at university I am 19 and unsure whether to do an access course or normal Alevels!

Also does anyone know if there any grants or something to help pay my alevels because I would be starting at the age of 19.

Any reply is very much appreciated.

Whether you did A Levels or an Access Course you'd have to fund it yourself.

There are only 9 universities (from looking at UCAS) that offer Spanish Law, most of them are 4 year degree's which are English Law with Spanish Law.

It would be cheaper if you did A Levels such as Law, Business, Accounting etc and studied them yourself at home, and sat the exams as an external student. Exams would be about £50 - £100 per exam (there are 4 - 6 units per A Level). All you'd have to do would be to get an A Level book and read it, then go sit the exams. It's pretty easy to get an A in Law and Business at A Level, BUT I doubt you could do it all in one year.

An Access Course is only one year, but is quite intensive.

You'll also have to sit the LNAT if you want to go to some of the top end universities.
Original post by Knalchemist

Thats not always the answer if the poster hassn't got a level three qualification they can get their course funded for free and then they only pay for the £40 admin fee. (rough estimate)
I thought this has changed as of this year, with the new loan system coming in place for 24+?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7

There are only 9 universities (from looking at UCAS) that offer Spanish Law, most of them are 4 year degree's which are English Law with Spanish Law.

It would be cheaper if you did A Levels such as Law, Business, Accounting etc and studied them yourself at home, and sat the exams as an external student. Exams would be about £50 - £100 per exam (there are 4 - 6 units per A Level). All you'd have to do would be to get an A Level book and read it, then go sit the exams. It's pretty easy to get an A in Law and Business at A Level, BUT I doubt you could do it all in one year.

An Access Course is only one year, but is quite intensive.

You'll also have to sit the LNAT if you want to go to some of the top end universities.

So do 3 Alevels in one year? Well I am already doing the Spanish one now so I would only need to do 2 in one year, do you think college would let me do that?

I enjoy sociology a lot so i could do sociology in one year and maybe business. Do you think this would be a better option than access course? I am very worried incase I don't get distinctions especially because I do better on exams than course work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
[QUOTE="skinnylove911;42140642"]

Thats not always the answer if the poster hassn't got a level three qualification they can get their course funded for free and then they only pay for the £40 admin fee. (rough estimate)

Well the access course would still definitely be free at my college because my friend has done Alevels and didn't achieve good results so she is going to start an access course which will be free. So i don't know maybe its just my college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
maybe you could do a google search x
Reply 10
I'm not sure about the Access course being free if you have previously taken A levels. I didn't pay anything for my Access Course at all because I didn't have a level 3 qualification or higher, it might be different for other colleges though so your best bet is to ring them up and find out directly what their rules are.
Reply 11
Original post by taniacr
Thanks for the information,
Did you have to do a LNAT to be considered for those universities?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The LNAT is specific to certain Universities, you would have to look on the websites or contact them to find out whether they require it or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending