The Student Room Group

Midwifery Voluntary work

Hello

I recently got accepted onto an access to midwifery course starting in september. I am looking to undertake some voluntary work to help for my application to uni next year. I have contacted my local NCT and I am going to contact my local hospital.

I have 3 years in childcare settings such as nurseries and a nanny position along with babysitting. Will this all count towards experience?

Has anybody got any ideas where else i could contact for voluntary work related to midwifery.

Thanks x
Reply 1
Have you thought about care work. Like a nursing home for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophiemorley
Hello

I recently got accepted onto an access to midwifery course starting in september. I am looking to undertake some voluntary work to help for my application to uni next year. I have contacted my local NCT and I am going to contact my local hospital.

I have 3 years in childcare settings such as nurseries and a nanny position along with babysitting. Will this all count towards experience?

Has anybody got any ideas where else i could contact for voluntary work related to midwifery.

Thanks x

If you can relate your experience to your course then yes, every little but of experience helps. Also, volunteer on a maternity ward or something similar will help. Contact you local hospital and show your interest. I was in a similar boat this time last year but got it all sorted :smile:

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
As long as your able to emphasise the transferable skills in your child related work experience it should count but make sure that you don't focus on the fact that it's child related as maternity care is a bit more focussed on the mother and her health rather than neonatal care :smile: as already mentioned maternity wards are good, perhaps shadowing a community midwife, antenatal classes, breastfeeding groups, perhaps if you can fit it in then become a bank mca which would give you a bit of money on the side too.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending