The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SpiggyTopes
The fact they're no longer brutal fascist leaders is worth rejoice their deaths aren't. Ideally they'd be imprisoned forever but that's obviously not possible.

Yeah, I suppose.
I'm too ignorant of politics to really have any opinion either way. should I be rejoicing?
Reply 82
Original post by CelticSymphony67
If you understood her policies my friend, then you would not be thinking too much about her, that's for sure. She ruined large areas of the UK, the only areas not to suffer from Thatchers policies are the Home Counties. Anywhere with manufacturing? Knackered!!

Another ridiculous statement.
So anyone who disagrees with your political stance is naive, yes? :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but, like I said, I understand perfectly well.
Reply 83
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
I'm too ignorant of politics to really have any opinion either way. should I be rejoicing?

No, you should not.
She was an idiot and helped to cripple the country...but she honestly thought she was doing the right thing just like 99% of politicians. The damage was done, she didn't mean to be such a moron so celebrating her death is just malicious.
Original post by ed-
Another ridiculous statement.
So anyone who disagrees with your political stance is naive, yes? :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but, like I said, I understand perfectly well.
Take a trip to Orgreave and explain your views about Thatcher. You would not last five minutes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Orgreave

They will be partying as we speak!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by chapmouse
I think it's a bit wrong to celebrate his death. Contrary to popular belief, Hitler was still a human being.
There is reason to celebrate the repercussions of his death, but not the death itself.
Nobody deserves death, but they deserve justified punishment.

We could argue for a long time that the just punishment for Hitler was death, but let's remember that he did kill himself, nobody ever actually punished him. I don't know, it's all very messy.

I think people just need to be careful realising what they're cheering on when they're happy that Margaret Thatcher has died.

Well, I disagree here. I think rejoicing in peoples' death should only be reserved for the worst tyrants imaginable; those, such as Hitler, Stalin, Milosevic and so on (the first two obviously to a greater extent) who are responsible for genocides in their respective countries and beyond - especially Hitler. He may have been a human being, but he was perhaps the most vile and despicable ever to have walked the earth and for his actions I see perfect reasoning to celebrate his death.

Thatcher, however, is totally different. Her policies may have adversely affected the lives of millions of people in the UK, but she is not ultimately responsible for anywhere near the sorts of things the aforementioned leaders did.

Anyway, this has digressed too far.
Take a trip to Orgreave and explain your views about Thatcher. You would not last five minutes.

The fact that A would assault B for their views hardly invalidates B's views.
Original post by Tpx
The fact that A would assault B for their views hardly invalidates B's views.

I'm not saying it would, however, Orgreave and other mining communities are not exactly Thatcher fans are they? They still burn her on the Bonfire on the 5th November.
Reply 89

How did I know you'd have some sort of link with miners; absolute shocker.

I praise her for suppressing the miners and their unions who were attempting to ruin the economy.
And before you attack my 'naivety' again; yes, I do know the effect she had on miners. I've had numerous lectures on the subject from my Uncle who, shock horror, was one.
Not only that, my parents are both from working class backgrounds and vote Labour, yet I still have an objective view. Who's better informed on the subject again?
Reply 90
I'm not saying it would, however, Orgreave and other mining communities are not exactly Thatcher fans are they? They still burn her on the Bonfire on the 5th November

Which shows where their priorities lie doesn't it. Absolutely self centred.
Original post by ed-
How did I know you'd have some sort of link with miners; absolute shocker.

I praise her for suppressing the miners and their unions who were attempting to ruin the economy.
And before you attack my 'naivety' again; yes, I do know the effect she had on miners. I've had numerous lectures on the subject from my Uncle who, shock horror, was one.
Not only that, my parents are both from working class backgrounds and vote Labour, yet I still have an objective view. Who's better informed on the subject again?

Just because your Parents tell you Bedtime stories, does not come close to actually living through it! You were not even born when she was in charge. I lived through her rule, and she was a Free Market Nut Job. She also covered up Hillsborough. Do you agree with that? She refused to sanction SA and Apartheid. Do you agree with that? She Militarized Ireland? Do you agree with that? Thatcher was greedy, and her society was greedy, and I hope that anything connected with Thatcher, dies with her.
Bitch snatched our milk from school.
Reply 93
Her ruthlessness was always going to result in an outpouring of glee at her death, she was and is utterly despised across large swathes of the country.

I think people should clamber down off their high horses about it though. Thatcher never cared about what these people thought about her while she was alive, so she wouldn't care in death either.
Original post by brahinmanc
Bitch snatched our milk from school.

No, bitch snatched the taxpayers milk from school.
Original post by chapmouse
Right, whereas the death of Hitler led to German surrender etc. So what was celebrated in that case? His death or the end of war?
I still don't think Thatcher is that evil.

I agree. Its understandable to celebrate a desirable outcome of somebody's death but not ok to celebrate the fact the person has died. In mafia films people have someone killed and still go and pay their respects at the funeral which does make sense. If thatcher died in power I could understand people being happy about poltical change that may have occured.

She wasn't in power though so the only reason to be glad she has died is a personal hatred of her and getting revenge for her polcies. But even then I don't think celebration is the right word. Say someone did something awful like murder a family member of mine and I found out they had died. I think I would quietly feel like they got what was coming to them and it would make it a bit easier to put in the past but I wouldn't be booking out the village hall and getting invitations sent out.
Reply 96
No
Reply 97
Just because your Parents tell you Bedtime stories, does not come close to actually living through it! You were not even born when she was in charge. I lived through her rule, and she was a Free Market Nut Job. She also covered up Hillsborough. Do you agree with that? She refused to sanction SA and Apartheid. Do you agree with that? She Militarized Ireland? Do you agree with that? Thatcher was greedy, and her society was greedy, and I hope that anything connected with Thatcher, dies with her.

Oh I'm sorry, I haven't asked how old you were when you lived through it? 1? 2? If younger than 10 then living through it is irrelevant just as my living through Blair is irrelevant to my current views of him due to my naivety of politics during those years.
As I've said before, living through it is irrelevant if you're not sufficiently informed in politics.
Being as well informed in politics as I am, I'd say it's irrelevant that I didn't. I don't look to bias opinions and media to form my opinions. Having not lived through her years in power, I can form a view which is purely objective - and trust me, I've taken both sides into account.
edit; I almost forgot... Living through her time in power has absolutely no grounding for you to claim to have a better understanding if you're not old enough to remember the time before '79

Who ever said I agree with all of the things she did? As much as I don't like Blair, for example, I respect certain things he did. These things are not cut and dry..

Either way, I don't understand why people chose the day of her death to voice their distaste for her... Tactless and disrespectful.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 98
Original post by ed-
Oh I'm sorry, I haven't asked how old you were when you lived through it? 1? 2? If younger than 10 then living through it is irrelevant just as my living through Blair is irrelevant to my current views of him due to my naivety of politics during those years.
As I've said before, living through it is irrelevant if you're not sufficiently informed in politics.
Being as well informed in politics as I am, I'd say it's irrelevant that I didn't. I don't look to bias opinions and media to form my opinions. Having not lived through her years in power, I can form a view which is purely objective - and trust me, I've taken both sides into account.

Who ever said I agree with all of the things she did? As much as I don't like Blair, for example, I respect certain things he did. These things are not cut and dry..

Either way, I don't understand why people chose the day of her death to voice their distaste for her... Tactless and disrespectful.

It's a very basic human reaction, she was despised by many.
Reply 99
Original post by TomDixie
It's a very basic human reaction, she was despised by many.

Maybe for some :rolleyes:

I cannot say I've ever celebrated or will ever celebrate anyone's death. What it represents, maybe. But Thatcher's death does not represent anything to be celebrated - her influence in government is long over and her legacy will live on in the Tory party regardless.

Latest