The Student Room Group

I'm at parties about Margaret Thatcher's death

I was disgusted when I heard there will a big party on Saturday in Trafalgar Square to celebrate her death.

She was a brilliant woman- arguably her simply becoming the most powerful woman in the world meant she more than did her bit for 'feminism'.

She saved Britain.

She was not perfect but she was a much better leader than the ones we have had recently.

It is wrong to celebrate her death

Wilson closed more mines than than Thatcher. Plus manufacturing output actually increased under Thatcher

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Regardless of your opinion of someone, having a party because they've died is a pretty horrible thing to do.
I definitely don't agree with some things she did, but she still deserves some respect.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
That's sick. Having a party celebrating someone's death is just not right no matter who they are.
Each to their own opinion. I only know what I do from my parents (working class) so politically didn't agree with her (if I had been around back then). It is in poor taste to celebrate the death of someone though.
Reply 4
Original post by Guru Jason
Each to their own opinion. I only know what I do from my parents (working class) so politically didn't agree with her (if I had been around back then). It is in poor taste to celebrate the death of someone though.

She wasn't against working class- you do realise there are other working class jobs besides manufacturing yeh?
Reply 5
In death, people should celebrate the great things someone did in their life. Celebrating the fact that someone is dead is pretty horrible no matter how much you don't like her political decisions.
Reply 6
It makes me sick. If she was some kind of psychotic dictator who slaughtered millions of people then fair enough, but she isnt. Shes someones mother and grandmother, who left her position of power many years ago and to celebrate her death in this way is just disgusting.
Reply 7
When you see how deeply she broke communities in the North, you can understand it.
Reply 8
Original post by Selnec
When you see how deeply she broke communities in the North, you can understand it.

Bull.
Original post by Chris_23
It makes me sick. If she was some kind of psychotic dictator who slaughtered millions of people then fair enough, but she isnt. Shes someones mother and grandmother, who left her position of power many years ago and to celebrate her death in this way is just disgusting.

Her economic policies killed thousands of people. Suicide higher under Thatcher
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
Regardless of your opinion of someone, having a party because they've died is a pretty horrible thing to do.
I definitely don't agree with some things she did, but she still deserves some respect.

I'm not at all glad she's dead because her last years of existence have been irrelevant so it means nothing to me but I'm not going to worry about people disrespecting her, if they want to drink in the name of her death then they can go ahead. However, I think it is bad that people are forgetting that she was a human, she wasn't evil, she had family and didn't deserve to die. However the media is being very positive about her so it's not big deal.

Original post by Selnec

And Wales.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Selnec

The mining communities should be thankful for her. She gave them the opportunity to get out of the cesspit. To get educated and get real jobs instead of crawling down filthy mines, breeding and having their brood repeating the cycle with no sign of prosperity.

Ungrateful cretins tbh.
Reply 12
Original post by The Mad Dog
Her economic policies killed thousands of people. Suicide higher under Thatcher

Because there's such a clear causal link :rolleyes:
I don't care what people thought of her, you don't have a party to celebrate her death (There is a difference between that and party to celebrate her life). How would the people at the party feel if their mother died and we had a party to celebrate that she's dead. It's disgusting.

That goes for any person in my opinion. If you don't like someone who dies, you don't celebrate it, you simply keep quiet.
Original post by a729

x

You might want to re-evaluate what you mean by 'Britain' when you say she saved Britain.
Original post by SophiaKeuning
Why does she deserve respect if she's dead.

So you don't think that the dead deserve respect at all?

Is it okay to use her as firewood or to sell her on eBay?
How do you think her family feel about the parties for her death?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ed-
Because there's such a clear causal link :rolleyes:

If you want proof suicide rises under Thatcherite economic governments here
Reply 17
yes having parties is pretty horrible and disrespecful... but she did not save Britain. She destroyed the coaling industry here up north which was damaged alot of familes. That makes her pretty far from being 'brillaint', especially from being a 'feminist icon'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by The Mad Dog
If you want proof suicide rises under Thatcherite economic governments here

I read the first link, thanks.
My point is still valid and yours is still post hoc ergo propter hoc which can show no causal link.
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
So you don't think that the dead deserve respect at all?

Is it okay to use her as firewood or to sell her on eBay?
How do you think her family feel about the parties for her death?

I don't really care. She's getting enough love from the media to counteract it. But there are extremes and I believe partying to be inoffensive, it doesn't directly affect the family. But I assume robbing her body and selling it for money would. I don't care what her family thinks about parties for her death. She was controversial, they're used to the extreme love or hate reactions she received.

EDIT-I don't agree with the parties, I don' like them and to be honest I didn't think they were this big a deal.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/08/margaret-thatcher-death-party-brixton-glasgow

They aren't kind but they're just an expression of everything that is Thatcher. People really loved her or they really hated her and it would be silly to think that her death would be any different. Of course her death would spark up old feeling. But people and media outlets across the world have talked of her in such a positive light I really don't see the relevance and disgust that you see in these parties. It's political not personal.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending