The Student Room Group

OCR A2 LAW G153 Criminal Law 1 - June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sazzle11
I reckon Q1 will be on either Quick or Burgess and Q2 maybe just insanity again or both. but Q3 could really be anything. I didnt really no how to approach Q3 and thats where i lost a few marks. any suggestion from the poeple that did quite well?

Hey, I'm not sure if you just posted this in the wrong thread accidentally but you might find more information on the special study G154 if you talk to people on this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=42029388&highlight=ocr%20law%20special%20study%20june just since this one is G153 (the one about theft/intoxication etc. too). But to answer your question for Q3, I would say just to look at scenarios from past papers, because you get 1 mark for just "reaching a sensible conclusion" for instance. Hope that helps a bit :smile:
Hi I was just wondering what would be the best technique to revise for criminal law, is it best to do brief notes, mind maps, past papers? I'm really struggling with absorbing information

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HelloThere:)
Hi I was just wondering what would be the best technique to revise for criminal law, is it best to do brief notes, mind maps, past papers? I'm really struggling with absorbing information

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't started "hardcore" revision yet (I probably should- I'll start next week) :colondollar: Everybody is different but I've done this for the past 2 exams and got 76/80(sources of law) + 80/80(special study) :
1. Go through all notes on basic principles (actus reus, mens rea = 2hrs)
2. Make an A4 mindmap on each of those topic + read through = 2hrs
3. Repeat steps 1+2 for each topic (looking at the specification I've grouped this into 5 topics/sections) = 4hrs each... (x5 topics) = 20hrs total to go through the specification thoroughly and I spread this out over 5 days (not consecutive, about 2-3 days per week so it's done in a fortnight)(http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/68942-specification.pdf = pages 12-14)

4. Once I've done that within the fortnight, I'll have 5 weeks left in which I'll start by writing a practise essay, marking it, seeing where I went wrong
5. Spend a week focussing on the Q i'm bad at (it's always Q3- the dilemma board/scenario questions), so I look at the markschemes for them and keep practising
6. 1 week before the exam (so around May 31st), I repeat step 3 every day to work my way through the specification, and do a final past paper on the last day

That's very thorough but I hope it helps, it's certainly helped me having a plan like that :smile:

Edit: Between steps 3-4, I make sure I memorise only about 5 cases per topic (with different case facts to help in using them for the scenario) and make a huge case list and go through it every week :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
we havent even covered half the topics yet, so i should start panicking right now. my advice would be to look at previous mark schemes, create model answers and learn them. although ao2 ( application)bit might be bit dif. the ao1 (knowledge) would be pretty much the same. i learnt them off by reading it again and again talking to myself like a pycho. we did 2 mock exams, and got a's.
Original post by feelinginfinite
I haven't started "hardcore" revision yet (I probably should- I'll start next week) :colondollar: Everybody is different but I've done this for the past 2 exams and got 76/80(sources of law) + 80/80(special study) :
1. Go through all notes on basic principles (actus reus, mens rea = 2hrs)
2. Make an A4 mindmap on each of those topic + read through = 2hrs
3. Repeat steps 1+2 for each topic (looking at the specification I've grouped this into 5 topics/sections) = 4hrs each... (x5 topics) = 20hrs total to go through the specification thoroughly and I spread this out over 5 days (not consecutive, about 2-3 days per week so it's done in a fortnight)(http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/68942-specification.pdf = pages 12-14)

4. Once I've done that within the fortnight, I'll have 5 weeks left in which I'll start by writing a practise essay, marking it, seeing where I went wrong
5. Spend a week focussing on the Q i'm bad at (it's always Q3- the dilemma board/scenario questions), so I look at the markschemes for them and keep practising
6. 1 week before the exam (so around May 31st), I repeat step 3 every day to work my way through the specification, and do a final past paper on the last day

That's very thorough but I hope it helps, it's certainly helped me having a plan like that :smile:

Edit: Between steps 3-4, I make sure I memorise only about 5 cases per topic (with different case facts to help in using them for the scenario) and make a huge case list and go through it every week :smile:

Thank you so much, my teacher was kind enough to do example essays on all actus reus and mens rea topics so I'm basically just memorising them will start doing past papers now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
I found out today that G153 is at the same time as one of my maths modules :frown:

I was hoping I wouldn't have any back-to-back exams for my A levels but apparently not...
Reply 26
i find writting my cases down and then getting someone to test me on them everynight so you never know what will come up i also look for key things in cases that will make me remember them like lidar (the man half in half out the car) i always remember it like lecister (thats where it happened) or stone and dobbinson i always remember the aunts name (fanny) and then i remember the rest of it.
hope it helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Not really relevant to the exam but does anyone out of interest know why the D's in R v Hale (1978) were charged with robbery instead of burglary? It baffles me. :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Not really relevant to the exam but does anyone out of interest know why the D's in R v Hale (1978) was charged with robbery instead of burglary? It baffles me. :s-smilie:

Well it's not that important to know but i assume because robbery is open to a higher maximum sentence than burglary and therefor the crown prosecution decided to prosecution them with robbery in order for the criminals to face a higher sentence :smile:
Reply 29
Also in case you don't know the January 2013 examiner report is on the OCR law website so self-defence, involuntary manslaughter and strict liability came up in jan. so glad i didn't sit that cos i hate all of those areas :s also gives some good guidance for special study so i would recommend that everyone reads it if they have not already>
Reply 30
Well it's not that important to know but i assume because robbery is open to a higher maximum sentence than burglary and therefor the crown prosecution decided to prosecution them with robbery in order for the criminals to face a higher sentence

sorry for the bad punctuation there. oops
Reply 31
Hello everyone :smile:

Just having a general freakout as the exam is fast approaching and I haven't started revising properly yet eek I hope there is still time! I got an A overall last year ( 5151 - A,G152 - A) and need to hopefully do the same this year. Does anyone have any ideas what came up in January 2013 as I can't find it anywhere?! I don't think I'm going to revise all of the topics,bit risky I know, but there are some I just cannot get my head around. It's the Section A questions that scare me the most also so not too confident at the moment. Hows everyone else getting on, any ideas on what could come up in June ? :redface:
Reply 32
Just read further up! My bad !
Just posting again to see how everybody is doing with revising?

Personally, I feel I know most cases quite well, but I'm only getting maximum 29/50 on my essays - is anybody else getting similar marks? :confused: I'm getting down about it because my teachers feedback is very vague (she says everything I've done well but says "there's more points to say" - after checking the markschemes it looks like I've included almost everything) :frown:

Does anyone have a good standard essay that they could put up on here? Or PM me? I could really use the help and will offer any help in return! (full ums on the special study paper from January if anyone needs help on insanity/automatism)! :tongue:
Reply 34
hii.. i cant help but notice the wonderful grades that you've got.. do you by any chance have any model answers for G154 and G153?

Thank you :smile:

Just as a little help for anyone who is doing G154 special study in the summer: I got an A (80/80) in January and I 100% agree with people above when they say the zigzag book helped them. It costs, but the preview is free which you can get by clicking on the right hand side "preview" button next to "ordering details" on here http://zigzageducation.co.uk/synopses/4802-G154-2013-insanity-automatism.asp and it basically gives a run down of each case. Since Bratty came up in January, Quick/Burgess are the likely cases to be used on Q1 so revise these inside out. Q2 should be focussed on insanity since there's not as much to write 34 marks on for automatism (which makes me think Q1 is more likely to be Quick- a case that should've been automatism- since insanity on Q2 allows you to display more knowledge which is what they want). Q3 was the hardest for me (and most people in my class) so I practised these to death- the zig zag preview has a break down of how to structure them. Unfortunately I wrote my notes by hand in January so can't provide attachments but I hope that has helped. Good luck to everyone! :smile:

As for G153, how is everyone doing? I'm aiming for an A* (need 100/120 as well as 96/120 on my G151 resit I'll be doing) but would be happy with an A (90/120). We've just finished all topics but haven't done any practise essays (set our first one as homework over this Easter half term, so I'm only starting revision as of next week). Our teacher told us that strict liability was a good question to do as it's really easy to get the marks, but I wasn't aware we could miss out topics at all :/ Looking at past papers, and considering the length of the topic, I'm thinking that theft should come up- anybody agree/have their own opinions? :smile:
Original post by fats_12
hii.. i cant help but notice the wonderful grades that you've got.. do you by any chance have any model answers for G154 and G153?

Thank you :smile:

It's funny you should say that after I just posted how much I'm panicking for G153 (getting maximum 29/50 so if you have any model answers for that I'd very much appreciate it)! :tongue:

I can, however, PM you some of my essays from G154 special study :smile: Just give me an hour and I'll send you them
It's funny you should say that after I just posted how much I'm panicking for G153 (getting maximum 29/50 so if you have any model answers for that I'd very much appreciate it)! :tongue:

I can, however, PM you some of my essays from G154 special study :smile: Just give me an hour and I'll send you them

Could you possibly send the essays to me too. I would love the help Thank you :smile:
I've just realised I can put them up now so I'll just put them all on here for everybody. The main essays/plans are mine but some of the case lists are from what I've found on the internet :tongue:

My main tip is to remember for Q3 (the scenario type thing) you get a mark for saying a conclusion e.g "... so they can use the defence of insanity" (lots of people forget this under pressure I think). And, as I said before I think, Bratty came up in January so it's more likely to be Quick/Burgess in my opinion. Hope it's helped! :smile:
I've just realised I can put them up now so I'll just put them all on here for everybody. The main essays/plans are mine but some of the case lists are from what I've found on the internet :tongue:

My main tip is to remember for Q3 (the scenario type thing) you get a mark for saying a conclusion e.g "... so they can use the defence of insanity" (lots of people forget this under pressure I think). And, as I said before I think, Bratty came up in January so it's more likely to be Quick/Burgess in my opinion. Hope it's helped! :smile:

That tip also applies to G153 to the section C questions - you do get a mark for each one for saying "therefore the statement is accurate/ inaccurate" - an easy mistake to make under pressure but silly marks to lose for something so simple!

Posted from TSR Mobile
i've just realised i can put them up now so i'll just put them all on here for everybody. The main essays/plans are mine but some of the case lists are from what i've found on the internet :tongue:

my main tip is to remember for q3 (the scenario type thing) you get a mark for saying a conclusion e.g "... So they can use the defence of insanity" (lots of people forget this under pressure i think). And, as i said before i think, bratty came up in january so it's more likely to be quick/burgess in my opinion. Hope it's helped! :smile:

thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending