The Student Room Group

I'm at parties about Margaret Thatcher's death

Scroll to see replies

It's pretty poor taste to be honest, regardless of her actions whilst she was in power. A lot of the people who attend won't have a clue what's going on, they'll just be jumping on the bandwagon. Pretty disgusting if you ask me. We're living in a totally different decade, why can't people just let it go and have a bit of decorum?
Original post by ed-
I read the first link, thanks.
My point is still valid and yours is still post hoc ergo propter hoc which can show no causal link.

This is a trend that's repeated in many countries, it isn't the casual link you dismissed it as.
Thatcher would want people who hated her to bloody well say it when she died, she didn't believe in all this "being nice" pussy-footing around rubbish
Original post by RtGOAT
The mining communities should be thankful for her. She gave them the opportunity to get out of the cesspit. To get educated and get real jobs instead of crawling down filthy mines, breeding and having their brood repeating the cycle with no sign of prosperity.

Ungrateful cretins tbh.

What a horrible, crass thing to say about the miner's. Whether or not you support them going to work down mines is irrelevant - When Thatcher closed the mines, they struggled to find work for a long, long time.

Thatcher did NOT close the mines down to give them a better future. The fact you call them ungrateful cretins just highlights how ignorant you really are to the anger that surrounded the miners.

If Thatcher and Co. offered a job alternative and encouraged people to go towards that before closing the mines down, there is little dispute that many would have opted for it. But Thatcher closed the mines down for economic reasons - coal etc. was cheaper to import than produce, as well as keeping our reserves stocked - and made many, many people unemployed for some time.

Wasn't it under Thatcher that 3m people were unemployed at one point? Thatcher left the miners straggling to survive.

Show a bit of respect to the miners who lost their jobs for Thatcher's ideological vision. :rolleyes:

Also, I'm not a pro-Thatcherite. Far from it in fact.
Reply 24
Original post by The Mad Dog
This is a trend that's repeated in many countries, it isn't the casual link you dismissed it as.

You mean correlation I assume since I'm saying there's no causal link.

There's too much going on at any one time for suicide rates to be attributed to the Prime Minister who happens to be in power at that time.
Original post by ed-
You mean correlation I assume since I'm saying there's no causal link.

There's too much going on at any one time for suicide rates to be attributed to the Prime Minister who happens to be in power at that time.

Economic and social policy dictates almost everything about a society, Prime Ministers generally have a big say in economic and social policy policy. Economic and social concerns are a high deciding factor in suiciders therefore suicide rates are directly attributable to Prime Ministers.
Are they having parties celebrating what Margaret Thatcher did for Britain ? or that she died.

I wouldn't want my family to mourn me , id much rather them celebrate my life rather then be sad when they remembered me. I'd love for people to have parties when I die !
Reply 27
Original post by The Mad Dog
Economic and social policy dictates almost everything about a society, Prime Ministers generally have a big say in economic and social policy policy. Economic and social concerns are a high deciding factor in suiciders therefore suicide rates are directly attributable to Prime Ministers.

You sound as though you're clutching at straws for reasons to dislike her if truth be told.
Reply 28
Original post by Chris_23
It makes me sick. If she was some kind of psychotic dictator who slaughtered millions of people then fair enough, but she isnt. Shes someones mother and grandmother, who left her position of power many years ago and to celebrate her death in this way is just disgusting.

Exactly- and these people like to claim we should all be 'politically correct' and all that nonsense!
Reply 29
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Are they having parties celebrating what Margaret Thatcher did for Britain ? or that she died.

I wouldn't want my family to mourn me , id much rather them celebrate my life rather then be sad when they remembered me. I'd love for people to have parties when I die !

The party at Trafalgar Square is celebrating her death
Regardless of your opinion on her policies, it's disgusting to celebrate the death of a person; surely that's as dehumanising as the cause of the 'celebration'?
Reply 31
Original post by RtGOAT
The mining communities should be thankful for her. She gave them the opportunity to get out of the cesspit. To get educated and get real jobs instead of crawling down filthy mines, breeding and having their brood repeating the cycle with no sign of prosperity.

Ungrateful cretins tbh.

That's a bit harsh!

If you said she transformed the economy towards a service/financial sector based economy

Ideally we should have the best of both worlds
Original post by billydisco
She wasn't against working class- you do realise there are other working class jobs besides manufacturing yeh?

I know but my father worked in that industry for nigh on 20 years and I only know what he says. He didn't like Thather a whole lot and that's putting it nicely. Still no reason to celebrate somone's death.
Reply 33
Original post by a729
I was disgusted when I heard there will a big party on Saturday in Trafalgar Square to celebrate her death.

She was a brilliant woman- arguably her simply becoming the most powerful woman in the world meant she more than did her bit for 'feminism'.

She saved Britain.

She was not perfect but she was a much better leader than the ones we have had recently.

It is wrong to celebrate her death

at trafalgar square, in central london? :lolwut:

provide proof or I call bull****
Original post by popnit
That's sick. Having a party celebrating someone's death is just not right no matter who they are.

Hitler? Bin Laden?
Reply 35
Original post by Jack93o
at trafalgar square, in central london? :lolwut:

provide proof or I call bull****

ianbone.wordpress.com/2013/04/08/thatcher-died-this-morning/

It's at 6 on Saturday
Reply 36
Original post by ed-
Bull.

Disagree with me all you want, you could at least explain.

That is a cheap and childish response.
To be honest, along with her creating struggle for survival for the miners which was a massive, massive industry at the time of course she was a sympathiser for the aparteid, which which caused many deaths and improper treatment of people of colour in South Africa. Maggie has her fans, it's no suprise that she's going to have her enemies too. And I think for good reason. Supporting something that caused so much suffering is pretty evil. She didnt have any sympathy for the many that died; she maintained her beliefs to keep the apartheid going. Is her life more important?

Pass me the disco shoes please.
(edited 10 years ago)
Like it or not she made the lives of many working class people in the 80s hell. They'll be celebrating like its the death of an abusive uncle. It might not be 'right' but it is for some people, a way of getting over some of the crap that they endured in their youth.
Original post by a729

She was a brilliant woman- arguably her simply becoming the most powerful woman in the world meant she more than did her bit for 'feminism'.

Nonsense - her policies hit women and womens rights ridiculously hard, she did nothing good for feminism really.

Quick Reply

Latest