The Student Room Group

Should there be an NHS for pets?

Scroll to see replies

If we had the money, yes. But we don't, so no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ibeatu
It would be cheaper for people to have pets.
I think animals should be given free emergency care. Then people aren't abusing full free healthcare to get a lifetime supply of dentasticks or anything, but if an animal is in a lot of pain (and its owners can't afford the high vet prices) then there should be a free government funded service where your animal can get treated.

Surely it is the owner's responsibility to ensure that they can afford the costs of looking after an animal? It is irresponsible to take on a pet if you can't take care of it properly, and this includes paying for veterinary care.
No - I say this as a pet owner, but why should people without pets pay taxes for those who do? Though the same could be said for the "benefits" system...
It's cheaper to put them down.
Reply 24
Original post by pizzle223
It's cheaper to put them down.

It's cheap to put old people down, but we wouldn't dream of doing that. Why should it be any different for gerbils?
Reply 25
Original post by Olympiad
If we had the money, yes. But we don't, so no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the argument could be levied that we can't afford **** healthcare like that offered by the NHS, or nonsense like jobseekers' allowance.
Reply 26
no i don't have a pet why would i want to be taxed on something i dont want or have (even more than i already am)
Original post by Chadya
It's cheap to put old people down, but we wouldn't dream of doing that. Why should it be any different for gerbils?

I'm not saying it should be any different. But I'd guess the main issue with Gov would be that it's cheaper to put them down so that would make more sense. Of course that's never going to happen so it'll have to stay with people paying themselves. Having Pet Insurance is basically like paying tax anyway.
In an idyllic world, yes.
In the real world, sadly no.
YES!!!!!

Animals should be given the same rights as humans
If it's something like a guide or hearing dog, then there could be an argument for it. Otherwise, pets are there for comfort, they can't earn money, they don't pay any taxes, therefore they shouldn't have a right to free healthcare.
Original post by hallamrulez
No but I think the NHS should emulate the veterinary profession. When people become too old or sick and it's no longer cost effective to treat them we should actually start considering other options. But hey, I know that view's not particularly popular, but times are hard folks and we've got to seriously consider ways of saving money.

You do realise that when pets get "too old or sick" they put them down...

What are you suggesting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by Jabberwox
In an idyllic world, yes.
In the real world, sadly no.

In an idyllic world there would be no pets.

(Keeping birds in cages=cruel,cats get run over and kill birds,snakes are fed mice,dogs crap on pavements and and eat dead cows,goldfish in small bowls get lonely(er,probably)

etc etc
Reply 33
Oh...ok...maybe in an idyllic world we could all keep hamsters:smile:
No the benefit state is purely to prevent poverty and the effects of that. Pets are at the end of the day a luxury.
Original post by moggis
In an idyllic world there would be no pets.

(Keeping birds in cages=cruel,cats get run over and kill birds,snakes are fed mice,dogs crap on pavements and and eat dead cows,goldfish in small bowls get lonely(er,probably)

etc etc

I very much doubt goldfish get 'lonely' as I don't think they have the brain capacity to grasp a concept such as loneliness.
Original post by Jabberwox
I very much doubt goldfish get 'lonely' as I don't think they have the brain capacity to grasp a concept such as loneliness.

Interesting fact for the day - they're much more intelligent than you think - goldfish do have a decent memory despite the urban myths. They can exhibit loneliness and also a range of other emotions, notably boredom in plain fish bowls rather than enriched tanks.

I'm a vet student, we got lectured on this exact subject.
Reply 37
Excellent.

Does this mean i can get my neg back for realising that poor goldfish may well get lonely:frown:
I like turtles....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending