The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by getinthevan
Oh shush :p:

... You are completely right, no idea how I cocked that up. Guess that means seeing a NFL game is out for us then :frown:

When are you there? You might be able to go see other ones?

Jets oh lord. :colone:
Original post by Malevolent
When are you there? You might be able to go see other ones?

Jets oh lord. :colone:

2-17th September. We can't, between where we'll be on any given day plus the fact that games are on Sundays, means there's not going to be a game near us :frown: college football doesn't seem to be happening then either.
2-17th September. We can't, between where we'll be on any given day plus the fact that games are on Sundays, means there's not going to be a game near us :frown: college football doesn't seem to be happening then either.

Actually there are games on Thursdays and Mondays aswell. Usually 1 on Thursday midweek football and a Monday night football game.
College football starts in August so there will be games too they just need time to finalize the schedules and stuff but all the info will be out later on. Don't worry there should be something there for you if you want to ask more go ahead.
Typical rugby person who doesn't understand.

I very much dislike rugby.
Original post by Ziggy2252
I very much dislike rugby.

Well you'd realize if there weren't pads the sport would be banned due to how many deaths there would be.
Actually there are games on Thursdays and Mondays aswell. Usually 1 on Thursday midweek football and a Monday night football game.
College football starts in August so there will be games too they just need time to finalize the schedules and stuff but all the info will be out later on. Don't worry there should be something there for you if you want to ask more go ahead.

Thanks for your help, we've found a couple of college games we could go to - Golden Bears/Portland State Vikings or USC Trojans/Washington State Cougars, both on the same day in LA. Any recommendations as to which?
Thanks for your help, we've found a couple of college games we could go to - Golden Bears/Portland State Vikings or USC Trojans/Washington State Cougars, both on the same day in LA. Any recommendations as to which?

USC Trojans Washington. USC are definitely the bigger college team a real famous team. Wait a little bit maybe May when the NFL schedule comes out and you can see what the Monday night and Thursday night game is. If your there for 2 weeks you got 8 possible teams it could be :tongue:

No offense, but are you sure the Cal Bears game against Portland State is in LA? The Golden Bears are the team of the University of California at Berkeley, and Berkeley is up the coast, right by S.F. and not all that near to LA at all. Then again, the University of California in Los Angeles (UCLA), should play a game at that time
Patriots sign Tommy Kelly 2 year contract. Now this i really like. Perfect guy to pair up with Wilfork. No more DT in the draft. Lets get Abraham and another receiver and I'l have liked this FA.
USC Trojans Washington. USC are definitely the bigger college team a real famous team. Wait a little bit maybe May when the NFL schedule comes out and you can see what the Monday night and Thursday night game is. If your there for 2 weeks you got 8 possible teams it could be :tongue:

Ahhh thanks! Thing is we're in NYC 2-morning of the 5th, LA 5-morning of the 8th, Vegas 8th-11th and San Fransisco 12th-15th, so our schedule is quite tight! We're going to see the Yankees play (I know, I know) in New York though!

Original post by ProgFeanor
No offense, but are you sure the Cal Bears game against Portland State is in LA? The Golden Bears are the team of the University of California at Berkeley, and Berkeley is up the coast, right by S.F. and not all that near to LA at all. Then again, the University of California in Los Angeles (UCLA), should play a game at that time

You are totally right and I am crap at geography. Bruins don't appear to be at home when we're there... Trojans it is!
(edited 11 years ago)
Ahhh thanks! Thing is we're in NYC 2-morning of the 5th, LA 5-morning of the 8th, Vegas 8th-11th and San Fransisco 12th-15th, so our schedule is quite tight! We're going to see the Yankees play (I know, I know) in New York though!

You are totally right and I am crap at geography. Trojans it is!

Baseball i don't follow so no problem there :tongue: Ahh yeah just wait for the schedule and go from there. Shame if you were in Massachusetts you could see the best team play :ahee:

No worries Trojans all day anyway!
Baseball i don't follow so no problem there :tongue: Ahh yeah just wait for the schedule and go from there. Shame if you were in Massachusetts you could see the best team play :ahee:

No worries Trojans all day anyway!

:biggrin: so how will a college game differ from an NFL game? Besides the obvious crowd size/game quality etc.
:biggrin: so how will a college game differ from an NFL game? Besides the obvious crowd size/game quality etc.

It's quite similar really. There's just more mistakes, so usually a higher score. There will be more stand-out players as well, as the gulf in class between best college players (practically NFL quality) and the worst college players (play for fun between classes) is huge.

Also, a player is down whenever they hit the floor, regardless of if an opponent touched them or not. You're not down by contact you're just down.

A lot more gimicks and gun kind of plays too. More rolling out and flinging crazy deep passes.

I think the crowd are better at college games. Oh yeah the being down rule in college is freaking annoying. Enjoy it it will be great. Obviously the NFL will be a better quality.
Original post by Authority_Song
It's quite similar really. There's just more mistakes, so usually a higher score. There will be more stand-out players as well, as the gulf in class between best college players (practically NFL quality) and the worst college players (play for fun between classes) is huge.

Also, a player is down whenever they hit the floor, regardless of if an opponent touched them or not. You're not down by contact you're just down.

A lot more gimicks and gun kind of plays too. More rolling out and flinging crazy deep passes.

Sounds awesome!

I think the crowd are better at college games. Oh yeah the being down rule in college is freaking annoying. Enjoy it it will be great. Obviously the NFL will be a better quality.

Being a York City FC supporter, I kind of like a roughness about my sport :wink: we're just booking tickets now, very excited! Out of curiosity, are you in the states or are you a UK fan?
Sounds awesome!

Being a York City FC supporter, I kind of like a roughness about my sport :wink: we're just booking tickets now, very excited! Out of curiosity, are you in the states or are you a UK fan?

Im in the UK but i lived in the states for 2 years. Only been in the UK for 3 years :tongue: Yeah its gonna be real good have fun! Go crazy at the gift shop.

Both in basketball and football, I found college game to be significantly more fun than their pro counterpart (not to be generalizing or anything, I don't think that this always holds true) You'll have a great time, the LA Coliseum is a fantastic field too.
Original post by ProgFeanor
Both in basketball and football, I found college game to be significantly more fun than their pro counterpart (not to be generalizing or anything, I don't think that this always holds true) You'll have a great time, the LA Coliseum is a fantastic field too.

See i thought the college experience was like none other. Just how excited the whole campus was its unreal.
See i thought the college experience was like none other. Just how excited the whole campus was its unreal.

Tell me about it... which school's games did you attend?
Original post by Authority_Song
college players (play for fun between classes)

Yeah I'm not sure this is really a thing.

Latest