The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Royal Holloway Geography 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by winningjojo
Ah I didn't know about the storage option! Is it expensive?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm I don't know to be honest, I'm sure you'll be able to find out online... you still have to move all your stuff out of your room, but at least it saves you carting it home :smile:
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by proud nd luvin it
Hmm I don't know to be honest, I'm sure you'll be able to find out online... you still have to move all your stuff out of your room, but at least it saves you carting it home :smile:

Ah I see I'll look into that before making my accommodation choices. I really like Williamson butler and tuke but the cost would take up nearly all my maintenance loan and leave me with just over £100 for the rest of the year - even my crazily organised budgeting self couldn't survive on that for a year. :/

Does your maintenance grant get added to your maintenance loan? Or do you get the figure stated as the maintenance loan but only pay back the difference between the grant and loan. I'm really confused and the difference would be huge for me! Any light on the situation would be muh appreciated. Student finance has given an estimate of £6000 in loan and £3000 in grant (roughly) so do I get the £6000 and only pay back £3000 or do I get £9000?? It's all confusing to me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
You'd get £9k and pay back £6k in this case.

The loan is made up of two parts: a flat amount (about £5k for London), and an extra means tested amount (up to about £2700) that goes down the more you earn.

The grant is entirely means tested up to £3354, but it also reduces the loan amount. Every £1 of grant lowers the loan by 50p.

You get paid both the grant and the loan, but only the loan is added to your student loan amount.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by gogobmn
You'd get £9k and pay back £6k in this case.

The loan is made up of two parts: a flat amount (about £5k for London), and an extra means tested amount (up to about £2700) that goes down the more you earn.

The grant is entirely means tested up to £3354, but it also reduces the loan amount. Every £1 of grant lowers the loan by 50p.

You get paid both the grant and the loan, but only the loan is added to your student loan amount.

Thank you so much! That's a huge relief ... Just waiting to hear back from SFE for the final figures but that info puts my mind at rest no end!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where's everyone thinking of choosing for accommodation? Loved butler tuke but the option of a castle hard choice. Wonder if living in founders is a bit away from the hub of geography!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by winningjojo
Where's everyone thinking of choosing for accommodation? Loved butler tuke but the option of a castle hard choice. Wonder if living in founders is a bit away from the hub of geography!

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is no 'hub of geography' (or hub of any department, aside from the departmental building itself haha) because campus is so small, so even if you do live in Founder's you won't be more than a 5 minute walk away from the geography department. :biggrin:

Having lived in both the new accommodation (Tuke) and Founder's, I really don't know which one I'd choose for first year if I could choose again. I don't envy your choice! But either way you'll end up living somewhere pretty darn cool.
Original post by llacerta
There is no 'hub of geography' (or hub of any department, aside from the departmental building itself haha) because campus is so small, so even if you do live in Founder's you won't be more than a 5 minute walk away from the geography department. :biggrin:

Having lived in both the new accommodation (Tuke) and Founder's, I really don't know which one I'd choose for first year if I could choose again. I don't envy your choice! But either way you'll end up living somewhere pretty darn cool.

Yeah I was referring to the building lol a difficult choice. Founders much cheaper meaning (hopefully) I could save some of my maintenance money to put towards either a masters or whatever I choose to do after. BUT I love the idea of the modern stuff with self catering etc too many decisions with going to uni !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, don't know if you've all seen this from the main RHUL thread but one of the guys has set up a facebook fresher page so that we can all get to know each other a bit more: Here's the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/474912129247181/
for all RHUL freshers but we got to make sure all the geographers are on there!! :biggrin:
MSc Environmental Management and Diagnosis here, do I count as geography to you guys? :P
Original post by bailystevens
MSc Environmental Management and Diagnosis here, do I count as geography to you guys? :P

Of course welcome to the group :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey i have firmed BSC Geography! Im thinking of going for Founders as on every open day i have been too it has been highly recommended! Is it true that you have to remove all your things every holiday?
Original post by CiaraGrehan
Hey i have firmed BSC Geography! Im thinking of going for Founders as on every open day i have been too it has been highly recommended! Is it true that you have to remove all your things every holiday?

Yay another bsc student!! Be sure to join the geography Facebook page! And yes you do have to move everything out every term why I'm putting Williamson etx 1st and founders 2nd :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
just a reminder for everyone to join the facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/149780945199220/
When you firmed did you get an confirmation from RHUL? i haven't had anything which i thought was strange
Original post by CiaraGrehan
When you firmed did you get an confirmation from RHUL? i haven't had anything which i thought was strange

Yes a few days later :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got it today haa!:smile:
Reply 56
I have firmed Royal Holloway for BA Geography, the department seems great and very friendly! :smile:
Original post by AlexW1995
I have firmed Royal Holloway for BA Geography, the department seems great and very friendly! :smile:

Yay! Find the geog geoup on Facebook :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
anyone applied for accom yet? ive gone for Williamson/tuke/butler :biggrin:
I've gone founders :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending