The Student Room Group

OCR F297 Case Study

Scroll to see replies

Im sitting this exam privately, if anyone has the tutor2u f297 pdf copy, please can you contact me. Ill offer £5 on paypal.
Please guys, I would really appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 21
Hey guys, I have no idea how to answer the "the extent to which" questions?
Just bringing this thread back as I am freaking out about this exam!

Question 1a) is likely to be to complete the decision tree and the 1b) is like to be "using the decision tree and other factors, which promotional method should CCL use?" :smile: if it's not that then i am 100% done

I think there will be an objective related questions, maybe how the macroeconomic factors in the table will affect their objectives? As that seems to be a large part

I think something to do With the employees will come up as well, the small business culture seems an emphasis here
Original post by Devina-S
Hey guys, I have no idea how to answer the "the extent to which" questions?

Write a paragraph on positives and why it has a large extent to which (and whatever the rest of the Q is) and then a paragraph on the negatives "" and then a conclusion making sure you answering the question buy saying to what extent you think it is :smile:
thats what i was taught anyway!!
Reply 24
Original post by Ollymurslove
Just bringing this thread back as I am freaking out about this exam!

Question 1a) is likely to be to complete the decision tree and the 1b) is like to be "using the decision tree and other factors, which promotional method should CCL use?" :smile: if it's not that then i am 100% done

I think there will be an objective related questions, maybe how the macroeconomic factors in the table will affect their objectives? As that seems to be a large part

I think something to do With the employees will come up as well, the small business culture seems an emphasis here

I agree with you on your predictions however I have a feeling that with regards to the objectives they might ask how realistic they are in the context of CCL's current performance, simply because one of them isn't SMART?
Reply 25
Original post by ebduff
I agree with you on your predictions however I have a feeling that with regards to the objectives they might ask how realistic they are in the context of CCL's current performance, simply because one of them isn't SMART?

My business teacher also flagged this up although however it is phrased it is likely to include external factors. There will probably also be a "should they buy the golf shop lease" to make use of the investment appraisal data.
Reply 26
Original post by spud337
My business teacher also flagged this up although however it is phrased it is likely to include external factors. There will probably also be a "should they buy the golf shop lease" to make use of the investment appraisal data.

The solar panels could also come up since there are figures for it too, however the answer for this could be quite limited in comparison to the golf pro.
Reply 27
Discuss the extent to which an annual staff bonus triggered by the performance of the whole business can help in the achievement of CCL’s objectives.

What would a structure for this essay look like?
Reply 28
Original post by hannxo
I got this revision list from a case study analysis, all this stuff is from the syllabus that is mentioned in the case study. Hopefully it might be of some use to someone :smile:

-Formation of objectives at tactical + strategic levels
-Communication objectives
-Influence of objectives on corporate behaviour
-Extent to which stakeholder objectives (including government macro-economic objectives) may affect behaviour/decisions
-Need/significance for constant review of market/ environmental circumstances
-Data analysis- gathering and summarising info
-Decision Trees
-Employee contribution to objectives
-Business performance through ratios
-Capital structure:gearing
-Unemployment
-Interest/exchange/tax rates and their implications
-Changes of international competitiveness
-Inflation/deflation
-Economic growth
-Moral/ethical/environmental issues
-Role of teamwork/motivation/leadership
-Reasons for changing location
-Strategies for responding to change in market demand/research and development/new product development

P.s I've shortened it a bit, look at the syllabus if something doesn't make sense :P

Hi, did you buy the case study analysis or did teachers give it to you?
Reply 29
Original post by Rdalton
Hi, did you buy the case study analysis or did teachers give it to you?

Our teacher bought it for the class, split the price for us to pay and then gave us a copy, I think I paid something like £4 for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by hannxo
Our teacher bought it for the class, split the price for us to pay and then gave us a copy, I think I paid something like £4 for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right, if I was to buy it I would have to pay £50, is there any chance I could buy a copy off you? If not, is it worth buying?
Reply 31
What would you guys talk about when answering "should CCL acquire the golf pro shop at market harworth Golf Club, Justify your view".
What would your Plan/Structure be??
Reply 32
Original post by akspop
What would you guys talk about when answering "should CCL acquire the golf pro shop at market harworth Golf Club, Justify your view".

I'll try and break my plan down for you!

L1- no, this strategy is diversification and therefore carries high risk
L2- Ned boulting's view is that "there are many synergies between the two businesses, not least in retail management and merchandising."
L3- synergies are weak as they are completely different products
- CCL have the right selling skills but not the right/thorough product knowledge ->train staff->increase costs->negatively effects NPM (2.76%)
-"CCL's focus is on its customer's experience", "Customer experience is the only way in which CCL can compete..." -if CCL don't have the right product knowledge it could have a negative effect on this and their "competitive advantage"

L1- no, it does not allow CCL to achieve their objectives
L2-"Phil has agreed with the other shareholders three objectives for 2014"
L3-already having an outlet in market harworth and considering having a golf shop in the same place will not allow CCL to expand their customer base which therefore doesn't contribute to becoming "the number one bicycle retail in the East Midlands"
-the fact that the golf shop is on the market indicates that it may not be successful and could be suffering from intense competition, so even with CCL's experience in e-commerce, the creation of a website for the golf shop may not help them to achieve their objective of increasing 'the proportion of revenue from e-commerce to 55% by the end of 2014"

Evaluation
-CCL should not acquire the golf pro shop at market harworth golf club. The main reason for this is...

-instead CCL should focus on increasing their NPM

-Not clear why Ned feels CCL should diversify. CCL had grown over the last four years - sales increased from £6.8m to £13.3m and they have chance to continue to grow and increase turnover with their current products (Olympic factor/people cycling for health reasons)

-Market research is needed to assess the likely demand, including research into the competition as this will be different to CCL's current competition - this does not appear to have been carried out. It's also not clear what would happen in the long term as the lease is only for 5 years.

Hope this helps you a bit! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by akspop

hi akshay
Reply 34
Original post by ebduff
I'll try and break my plan down for you!

L1- no, this strategy is diversification and therefore carries high risk
L2- Ned boulting's view is that "there are many synergies between the two businesses, not least in retail management and merchandising."
L3- synergies are weak as they are completely different products
- CCL have the right selling skills but not the right/thorough product knowledge ->train staff->increase costs->negatively effects NPM (2.76%)
-"CCL's focus is on its customer's experience", "Customer experience is the only way in which CCL can compete..." -if CCL don't have the right product knowledge it could have a negative effect on this and their "competitive advantage"

L1- no, it does not allow CCL to achieve their objectives
L2-"Phil has agreed with the other shareholders three objectives for 2014"
L3-already having an outlet in market harworth and considering having a golf shop in the same place will not allow CCL to expand their customer base which therefore doesn't contribute to becoming "the number one bicycle retail in the East Midlands"
-the fact that the golf shop is on the market indicates that it may not be successful and could be suffering from intense competition, so even with CCL's experience in e-commerce, the creation of a website for the golf shop may not help them to achieve their objective of increasing 'the proportion of revenue from e-commerce to 55% by the end of 2014"

Evaluation
-CCL should not acquire the golf pro shop at market harworth golf club. The main reason for this is...

-instead CCL should focus on increasing their NPM

-Not clear why Ned feels CCL should diversify. CCL had grown over the last four years - sales increased from £6.8m to £13.3m and they have chance to continue to grow and increase turnover with their current products (Olympic factor/people cycling for health reasons)

-Market research is needed to assess the likely demand, including research into the competition as this will be different to CCL's current competition - this does not appear to have been carried out. It's also not clear what would happen in the long term as the lease is only for 5 years.

Hope this helps you a bit! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That was very helpful, thanks for your help.

Original post by Devina-S
hi akshay

LOL hi devina =]
Reply 35
So what do you guys think will come up in this paper?
1 - decision tree? time series? profitability ratios?
2 - follow up question?
and the other essays?
Reply 36
Original post by akspop
So what do you guys think will come up in this paper?
1 - decision tree? time series? profitability ratios?
2 - follow up question?
and the other essays?

There is potential for several number questions, the obvious decision tree, investment appraisal of the golf pro shop, accounting ratios or they could (although it's unlikely) throw in some completely new information and ask something either unrelated or slightly tangential such as a TSA of their seasonal sales. This would then be followed by a related question. There should almost definitely be a question on the external environment, probably tied into objectives, given that they have provided the macro-economic data. Should also be a "Should they/Shouldn't they" style question, more than likely in relation with either the golf club or the brand merger, possibly both as two of these style questions have occurred on a single paper before. Their could also be an ethics related question incorporating the proposed solar panels, their presence and relationship with the forestry commission, and their charitable donations. Just a few suggestions the possibilities truly are endless as the exam board reserve the right to throw additional information at us in the exam.
Does anyone know why CCL should merge the two brands Malliot Jaune and Peddlers into a single identity - Summit Cycles?
Its my birthday at the 5th :smile: :cool: :colondollar: woooooo!
Im so cheeky :colondollar: xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending