The Student Room Group

British women committing international rape!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kiss
x

She didn't say either of the things you mis-accused her of, so why are you picking a fight with her? :confused:

If you want to pick a fight with someone, wouldn't you do better to challenge people who think it was a big joke? You can't expect women or lawmakers to rethink the male-victim rape/sexual assault question when most men laugh at stories like this.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by fluttershy
I think a big problem with our attitudes towards sexual crime is that it's a mix of outdated and modern attitudes. Older attitudes towards sex are very different from today. When it comes to double standards, quite a bit of it comes from updating attitudes towards women in regard to sex without updating attitudes towards men. There is also often a failure to recognise how other changes in attitude and society have influenced sex and sexuality. It wasn't that long ago that sex was a male penis penetrating a female vagina, largely for procreation but also for the pleasure of the male. Females had no pleasure from sex, the female orgasm didn't exist.

Not in contradiction to your post, but before that, the common view was that women couldn't be trusted with important matters because of their insatiable sex drives and ability to seduce men, diverting their attention from more serious matters for the sake of sexual pleasure. Attitudes towards sex are really quite fluid; interesting how they change over time.
Not really It wasn't rape there wasn't any penetration
Reply 23
Original post by thunder_chunky
Maybe he just didn't want to have sex full stop.

That's pretty much what I'm waiting for. Either people making jokes or saying that women can't rape men, blah blah blah.

In most cases, they CAN'T. Rape is a LEGAL term, which usually implies that the victim was penetrated.

Although I do agree, female on male sexual assault is just as wrong and traumatic as male on female sexual assault/rape.
Original post by dennisraymondsmith
Not really It wasn't rape there wasn't any penetration

Are you suggesting that men cannot get sexually transmitted diseases from women? That is very far from the truth. Whilst studies have found in general that the rates of transmission from female to male are lower than male to female for all STDs, it is still significant. It's important to remember that whilst a man will at orgasm blast a load of their fluids into the woman, in most cases the woman will have been producing lots of fluids in the build up to that (especially if the man is doing it right).

It's actually a dangerous misconception for a number of reasons. Firstly it makes men be less careful, especially when sleeping with women who are known to have lots of partners. Secondly it can lead to a belief that transmission of STDs is only likely if the male ejaculates inside the female, and that the risk is reduced by pulling out (it's less risky for the female, but the risk is still there, and the risk for the man is about the same). Thirdly it can lead to the belief that STDs are not a problem during Lesbian sex, when they can be (even the sharing of sex toys between straight women can be risky).
This is disgusting. The law needs to be updated so that if a woman forces a man to have sex with her, it is counted as rape, not sexual assault. The attitudes towards male victims are abhorrent.
Original post by dgeorge
In most cases, they CAN'T. Rape is a LEGAL term, which usually implies that the victim was penetrated.

Although I do agree, female on male sexual assault is just as wrong and traumatic as male on female sexual assault/rape.

The definition of rape varies by legal jurisdiction. Most places have moved away from penetration and changed it to a more inclusive definition.
Reply 27
Original post by edithwashere
*Not rape. Sexual assault.

Still very serious, but you can't call it rape when there's no penile penetration.

Under British law you can't, not sure about Canada though. I know some countries have a definition of unwanted forced sex and have dropped the sexist 'penile penetration' requirement.
Reply 28
Original post by AnonymousPenguin
The definition of rape varies by legal jurisdiction. Most places have moved away from penetration and changed it to a more inclusive definition.

I'm not sure that we could say "most" countries. Yes I know that a few have, but I think most still have a penetration component don't they?
Original post by dgeorge
I'm not sure that we could say "most" countries. Yes I know that a few have, but I think most still have a penetration component don't they?

Not in Europe. I don't have a link of the top off my head, but I do recall reading an article on this. It has definitely been updated in more than half EU countries.
Reply 30
Not in Europe. I don't have a link of the top off my head, but I do recall reading an article on this. It has definitely been updated in more than half EU countries.

I was speaking worldwide, especially as how the title refers to INTERNATIONAL rape, and the rape in question happened outside of the EU. (Although I don't know whether or not Canada has updated their laws.)
Original post by dgeorge
I was speaking worldwide, especially as how the title refers to INTERNATIONAL rape, and the rape in question happened outside of the EU. (Although I don't know whether or not Canada has updated their laws.)

Well Canada only has the sexual assault offense, which does not require penetration. They don't have a more serious offense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_regarding_rape#Canada

Looking at anything legal in a worldwide context is a bit of a cop-out, since countries outside of the western world have a lot of strange laws.
Horrible.

May not be classed as rape in the law, but I still see it as that tbh.
Reply 33
Well Canada only has the sexual assault offense, which does not require penetration. They don't have a more serious offense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_regarding_rape#Canada

Looking at anything legal in a worldwide context is a bit of a cop-out, since countries outside of the western world have a lot of strange laws.

I'm not sure at how looking at laws worldwide is a cop out simply because they have "strange" or different laws. These places still matter in this context
Original post by dgeorge
I'm not sure at how looking at laws worldwide is a cop out simply because they have "strange" or different laws. These places still matter in this context

Whatever, outside of the western world it often isn't rape if they're married. It gets even weirder in some countries. You're just being obtuse now.
Reply 35
Whatever, outside of the western world it often isn't rape if they're married. It gets even weirder in some countries. You're just being obtuse now.

You were the one who chose to start an argument, and then are telling me that my factual point isn't relevant JUST because you don't think it is...

I never said that other countries DON'T have weird laws, however the title (and subject) talks about INTERNATIONAL rape and I was simply making a comment on the interpretation in most (not ALL) countries.

So I hardly think that I'm the one being obtuse.
That is awful and I'm sure if they find the women they will be properly prosecuted.
I don't think anyone's going to try and ignore this or go soft on the women as some people here are implying.

Although sexual assault is more commonly committed by men no one is doubting the fact that women can also be guilty of it.
Reply 37
Original post by edithwashere
*Not rape. Sexual assault.

Still very serious, but you can't call it rape when there's no penile penetration.

Digital penetration counts as rape too. They might have digitally penetrated him. We don't know.
Reply 38
YOLO, bro. :cool:
Original post by Juichiro
Digital penetration counts as rape too. They might have digitally penetrated him. We don't know.

Fraid not - that'd be the offence of 'assault by penetration', which iirc carries a lower minimum sentence than rape.

EDIT - I don't know what there was about this post to warrant a neg - it's not opinion but fact.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending