The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by msewell12
Off the top of my head: Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial, Birmingham, Barts, Exeter and Plymouth.
Although UCL and Imperial give offers of AAA, the average A Levels achieved by those who are successful in obtaining offers is at least A*AA, potentially even higher.
Edinburgh is a common misconception-no preference given to those with A* at A levels

Someone (who recieved an offer from barts this year) told me their UCAS cut off was 460.. meaning A*A*Aa!!! Is this true??

Also when universities look at your grades and you have A*A*Aa and the A is in chemistry, will they give preference to those with the same grades but with the A* in chemistry? Crazy question I know.:colone:
Reply 161
Original post by grace56
I applied to Nottingham, Sheffield, Newcastle and Leeds, got an interview at Newcastle but got rejected :/ looking at other unis to apply to, is anyone else considering going for perhaps less... prestigious? (not sure if thats the right word) universities. Obviously all the ones I applied for are Russell group/ red brick and maybe I didn't consider some of the other less well known ones... just wondering if others are rethinking their choices and going for ones they wouldnt have considered or should I be aiming just as high even after rejection? orrr am I just being a uni snob and it really doesn't matter as long as I get in?

All medical schools are prestigious and almost equally competitive! Some times it just down to luck! Best of luck though :smile:
Reply 162
Original post by Doctor123
Someone (who recieved an offer from barts this year) told me their UCAS cut off was 460.. meaning A*A*Aa!!! Is this true??

Also when universities look at your grades and you have A*A*Aa and the A is in chemistry, will they give preference to those with the same grades but with the A* in chemistry? Crazy question I know.:colone:

I think that's why it's recommended that those who apply to Barts either take 4 subjects for A-Level and/or have high qualifications (grade 6 and above I think) in musical instruments as these also count towards UCAS tariff points.

It really just goes to show how applying for medicine really is just a game of strategy and applying to your strengths; especially when different med schools want different things!
Reply 163
Original post by kimsiclez
I think that's why it's recommended that those who apply to Barts either take 4 subjects for A-Level and/or have high qualifications (grade 6 and above I think) in musical instruments as these also count towards UCAS tariff points.

It really just goes to show how applying for medicine really is just a game of strategy and applying to your strengths; especially when different med schools want different things!

Damn! so how many ucas points would A*A*Aa be worth?
Reply 164
I'm sorry but that cannot be right. Exeter only require a C in the 4th AS Level. Do you by any chance mean Birmingham?

I don't mean Birmingham but Birmingham do ask for an A but I still got an interview, so my Birmingham rejection was because my interview wasn't great ('clean slate' when we went to interview). I was surprised I even got an interview, I hadn't researched enough into their requirements and just went by the fact I liked the uni.

As I said I wasn't sure if it was that or not, I looked on exeter's website and couldn't find a specific grade they asked for in your fourth AS so it was just a guess :smile: in the rejection email I had from them they said they had just under 2,000 applicants for 140 odd places, so that some people were being rejected even though they had the academic requirements. It could also have been they didn't like my personal statement, or my references may not have been great because my school aren't very good with that kind of thing. I'm thinking that when I reapply I may get references from elsewhere :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 165
I'm sorry but that cannot be right. Exeter only require a C in the 4th AS Level. Do you by any chance mean Birmingham?

Oh it could've been because of my ukcat score too, 2,500 is average maybe they wanted higher

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 166

That doesn't sound too awful if you do four full ones. I got 500 from AABB, D in GS
Reply 167
Damn! so how many ucas points would A*A*Aa be worth?

That would be 140 + 140 + 120 + 60 = 460 points.
Reply 168
Original post by dmz
That doesn't sound too awful if you do four full ones. I got 500 from AABB, D in GS

Wow nice :smile: My college didnt allow me to do 4 :frown:
Reply 169
Original post by kimsiclez
That would be 140 + 140 + 120 + 60 = 460 points.

Reply 170
Guys needed some advice; i really wanted to volunteer at a summer camp over the summer preferably with special needs kids or something along those lines, Anyone know of any? & some have stoppe recruiting :frown: also I I apply for one that's in 2014, should I put it on my PS before doing it?
Reply 171
Is it only me who noticed that Sheffield rejected almost all re applicants (in accordance to the stalking page) or is it that Sheffield just wont like us??
Reply 172
Original post by DinaRayy
Guys needed some advice; i really wanted to volunteer at a summer camp over the summer preferably with special needs kids or something along those lines, Anyone know of any? & some have stoppe recruiting :frown: also I I apply for one that's in 2014, should I put it on my PS before doing it?

Hey you could volunteer at a camp for the disabled like Trekkers or Odyssians. I did that and it counted as my DofE residential so that was good and it gave me alot of experience to reflect upon for my Medicine interviews, and the week there was really fun! the people there were so nice as well and met some good friends there :smile:

Here are a few links if you want to check it out:

http://www.dofe.org/en/content/cms/doing-your-dofe/opportunities/residential/

http://www.dofe.org/en/content/cms/doing-your-dofe/opportunities/residential/helping-disabled-peo/

Hope that helps,

Cas'
Is it only me who noticed that Sheffield rejected almost all re applicants (in accordance to the stalking page) or is it that Sheffield just wont like us??

Sheffield just generally rejected nearly everybody that applied lol. Nope alot of reapplicants got in from what I saw on the thread
Reply 174
Original post by Richyp22
Sheffield just generally rejected nearly everybody that applied lol. Nope alot of reapplicants got in from what I saw on the thread

Damn! Did you apply? And, if I may ask, what are you planning to do? And where will you apply?
Damn! Did you apply? And, if I may ask, what are you planning to do? And where will you apply?

Yes I did apply there, it was my only interview. Planning to do? Reapply more safely I think since I had 3 preinterview rejections.

Where I'll reapply, not sure yet but probably unis out of these-

Leeds,newcastle,exter,manchester,plymouth,durham and maybe BSMS,UAE ,st georges and liverpool if the ukcat goes badly
Reply 176
Original post by Richyp22
Yes I did apply there, it was my only interview. Planning to do? Reapply more safely I think since I had 3 preinterview rejections.

Where I'll reapply, not sure yet but probably unis out of these-

Leeds,newcastle,exter,manchester,plymouth,durham and maybe BSMS,UAE ,st georges and liverpool if the ukcat goes badly

Nice. Does Exeter put much emphasis on the UKCAT; are you aware of their selection procedure?
Reply 177
Wow nice :smile: My college didnt allow me to do 4 :frown:

I had to convince my tutor I could handle it because my AS weren't that brilliant
Reply 178
Would it be better to do a Gap medics placement or a placement when I'm working at an orphanage abroad? I really don't know and was looking for help! I keep hearing some people say it's not can that good/not worth it but surely clinical experience abroad is? But working at an orphanage abroad would look good too right? Or would it be given less value?

grateful for help!
Original post by DinaRayy
Would it be better to do a Gap medics placement or a placement when I'm working at an orphanage abroad? I really don't know and was looking for help! I keep hearing some people say it's not can that good/not worth it but surely clinical experience abroad is? But working at an orphanage abroad would look good too right? Or would it be given less value?

grateful for help!

Do it because you want to, not because you want to score points.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending