The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

sure it will work. just trying moving around a lot and going walking to places instead of using the bus:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by Etoile
I've got myfitnesspal and it tells me off for eating too little if I have 1200 cals, and so does my ED counsellor :dontknow: Starvation mode is definitely a thing though, I've experienced it, it's just that if you continue to starve like poverty-stricken Africans etc your body will be forced through that phase. Of course, it does depend on OP's BMR, which is why I mentioned that in my post before - it could be fine for her to live on 1200 or it could be way too little, we just don't know.

I think 1200 is fine for me. I calculated my BMR based on my height and weight online, multiplied it by 1.2 (sedentary lifestyle) then deducted 500 calories, which is what was recommended.
Original post by ummm
I want to try to lose about 10 pounds, and I worked out that limiting my calories to 1200 a day would put me in a deficit of approximately 500 calories a day.

Will this actually work if I stick to it? Or is it unlikely to work without exercise?

Yes. You will infact lose weight. However; you will lose both fat AND muscle. Essentially being a similar body shape that you currently have, but only a smaller version. If you started simple weight-training exercises three times a week, and a small amount of cardio on alternate days. You will see a dramatic increase in muscle mass and fat loss.

Make sure you keep your protein high daily, though - roughly 1/1.5 per lb of body weight.
Reply 43
You will lose weight but it will be more difficult and probably take longer. I'm sure this has been covered in the thread but that's my two cents anyway.
Reply 44
Original post by Himynameskiefer
Yes. You will infact lose weight. However; you will lose both fat AND muscle. Essentially being a similar body shape that you currently have, but only a smaller version. If you started simple weight-training exercises three times a week, and a small amount of cardio on alternate days. You will see a dramatic increase in muscle mass and fat loss.

Make sure you keep your protein high daily, though - roughly 1/1.5 per lb of body weight.

Doesn't the body only begin to use up muscle resources once fat resources start running low, because fat is easier to burn than muscle? That is, unless you were trying to actually be quite skinny, your muscle would remain largely intact?
Reply 45
Original post by Himynameskiefer

Hmmm, on school days I walk really fast for three miles. Could that count as the cardio? And what kind of simple weight-training exercises do you mean? I don't have enough money for a gym membership. Thanks for the help!
Yeah just stop eating.
Reply 47
Original post by abc:)
You will lose weight but it will be more difficult and probably take longer. I'm sure this has been covered in the thread but that's my two cents anyway.

Hey, thanks. That's alright. I'm not in a rush really. Once my exams are over I'm going to take up jogging, so hopefully that should speed things up. :smile:
Reply 48
Doesn't the body only begin to use up muscle resources once fat resources start running low, because fat is easier to burn than muscle? That is, unless you were trying to actually be quite skinny, your muscle would remain largely intact?

Incorrect, fat is one of the last things to be used as energy, after all our body's are designed to survive. This is called ketosis, in this state your muscles will waste away without sufficient intake of carbs, leaving fat remaining. Anyway, just loosing weight by a diet isn't healthy, you should have a clean diet and regular exercise :smile:.

If you wish to read further into ketosis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis

Original post by ummm
Hey, thanks. That's alright. I'm not in a rush really. Once my exams are over I'm going to take up jogging, so hopefully that should speed things up. :smile:

Refer to above, just dieting won't be healthy at all and lead to this.
(edited 11 years ago)

The body itself will burn both if the muscles are not being uses effectively; and by effectively, I mean hit hard, on quite a regular basis. If protein levels are also high, to support the fibres and tissues, then the body will realise it needs it's muscle as a defence mechanism to support the strength of weight training. If you don't use the muscle, and support it with the right nutrition, the body will burn fat and muscle at a 50/50 ratio. This is how people get 'ripped', or generally lose fat and try to hold onto the muscle. I've been gaining/bulking for 16 months, and I'm now currently trying to cut the fat. So I have to increase the protein, and work even harder.

Original post by ummm
Hmmm, on school days I walk really fast for three miles. Could that count as the cardio? And what kind of simple weight-training exercises do you mean? I don't have enough money for a gym membership. Thanks for the help!

Check out this video; it explains a lot. All you need are dumbbells.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH42FGlXGMY
(edited 11 years ago)
Yeah but exercising will help tone you up. No point exercising if you aren't eating right and I never understood dieting alone. That's just me!
Reply 51
Original post by CodeJack
Incorrect, fat is one of the last things to be used as energy, after all our body's are designed to survive. This is called ketosis, in this state your muscles will waste away without sufficient intake of carbs, leaving fat remaining. Anyway, just loosing weight by a diet isn't healthy, you should have a clean diet and regular exercise :smile:.

If you wish to read further into ketosis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis

Refer to above, just dieting won't be healthy at all and lead to this.

Just not true at all, fat stores are burned first (after products of digestion and glycogen stores) before lean muscle is lost, although obviously it is not completely clear cut/there will be overlap and catabolism pathways for both will generally be active in a caloric deficit. Ketosis does not burn muscle, ketosis is a method of utilising acetyl coA produced by B-oxidation of fatty acids, aka from the breakdown of fats. Ketosis has nothing to do with muscle
Depending on diet, probably portion control would make you lose quite a bit of weight, if you're pressed for time you could try these little 5 min bites by Joel Harper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY73mW7oA3c just to get you started off, then you could increase the intensity after you're done with your exams.

Best of luck :biggrin:
Lose weight simply by dieting and avoiding daily workouts, however it works far better and faster if you do both. Below here are some most effective ways to lose 10 kg of body weight in just one month without exercising.

#1 Eat complex Carbohydrates

For the faster weight but healthier weight loss it’s important to eat complex carbohydrates. As carbohydrate, fiber and protein rich food helps in boosting metabolism and they are easier to digest. They are quiet low in calories which makes them perfect energy source for your body.

#2 Dairy Food

Milk and yogurts are great source of calcium and effective for losing weight too. If you are lacto adductor than drink soya milk soya yogurt and avoid eating ice-creams and sugary milk shakes.

#3 Switch Regular Sugar to Stevia Sugar

Consumption of sugar in your diet will only produce fat so switch to stevia. As this ensures that your body doesn’t store body fat unlike regular sugar. Stevia sugar contains zero calories and is 300 times sweeter than regular sugar. So ,now you can freely enjoy your sugary sweets like cake, biscuits by adding stevia sugar.

#4 Lemon Drink Before And After the Meals

Add few drops of lemon in some hot water and drink it before and after taking you meal. This helps in easy melting of your body fat and also ensures that you have quick digestion. But don’t add too much of lemon in your drink otherwise it will put side effect like flickering eye movements.

Latest