The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maths Tutor
Care to provide the figures for the National Debt PER HEAD OF POPULATION of the UK, Spain, Italy, Ireland, Germany and Greece, say as at 31st December 2012? Then we can see which country is in a better financial situation.

The eurozone has had to provide bailout funding, and lots of it, to stop Greece going bankrupt. The UK provided several billion pounds in similar money to Ireland. Not really the signs of bulging economic superpowers.
Original post by MatureStudent36
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/independence-yes-and-no-camps-see-fall-in-support-1-2882618

It appears to have dropped back down to the 30% mark. Support fluctuates, but it hovers at that level. Will you and your kind now cease with the personal attacks against anybody that doesn't agree with you (The Majority of us). Riddle me that maths tutor. How can things vary and yet still stay the same?

YOU were the one claiming that the pro Independence vote had been 'STUCK' at 30% for the last 30 years. You then tried to change that to 'ON AVERAGE'.

Being STUCK = Not moving at all [You insisted]

ON AVERAGE = Going up and down [Which I did not deny]

If you can't express yourself clearly, there is nothing I can do. But I believe you deliberately use this tactic to lie and distort.
The 'Bitter Together' anti-Independence Axis is incapable of debating the issue without presenting Scotland to the world as 'too small', 'too poor' and 'too stupid' to run its own affairs everytime they open their mouths.

Is there ANYTHING that Scotland could do better independently than as part of the UK?

Go bankrupt with poorly thought out public expenditure?

You are aware that it was John swinney that coined the 'too wee, too poor, too stupid' line back in 2001? All part of the nationalist victim agenda.
YOU were the one claiming that the pro Independence vote had been 'STUCK' at 30% for the last 30 years. You then tried to change that to 'ON AVERAGE'.

If you can't express yourself clearly, there is nothing I can do. But I believe you deliberately use this tactic to lie and distort.

Its been stuck at 30% for the last thirty years. I can't make it as more simple as that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Care to provide the figures for the National Debt PER HEAD OF POPULATION of the UK and Greece?

Still waiting for you to provide details of the funds the SNP government had not even received from Westminster which you had repeatedly accused them of not spending.

Again I have to repeat:

No deliberate tactic. Just highlighting flaws in your argument
Care to provide the figures for the National Debt PER HEAD OF POPULATION of the UK, Spain, Italy, Ireland, Germany and Greece, say as at 31st December 2012? Then we can see which country is in a better financial situation.

How sweet. You're doing amateur economics........
sadly it's not as simple as that.
Original post by FinalMH
I am quite frankly astonished at why people would want to debate with you. I may not agree with the following statements but they are debatable ('too small', 'too poor' and 'too stupid' (:s-smilie: Just out of curiosity what politicians said that?)). Now as you seem uneducated on the word debatable let me educate you.

Now instead of resorting to vindictive name calling, why not present an argument which people can be persuaded?

Now if you want to debate the proposition "Should the Better Together campaign be renamed Bitter Together" then that is something entirely different from the question at hand.Just because people disagree with you doesn't mean you should resort to shouting and name calling.

Surely the argument should be founded on facts, evidence and reasoning?
Do you not want people to make informed decisions about the subject?
Do you not want people to be able to make up their own minds up?

:tongue: I would hope you would stop the name calling but I seriously doubt it.

I note that you failed to answer my question:

Is there ANYTHING that Scotland could do better independently than as part of the UK?

When the 'Bitter Together' anti-Independence Axis specifically mentions at least a few things that Scotland COULD do better independently than as part of the UK, I will reconsider the label.

As you are so eager to debate, let us debate weapons of mass destruction.

Why don't countries like Germany, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Italy, Poland etc have nuclear weapons to deter states like North Korea and Iran?

Why should Scotland, which is much further away, squander billions on nuclear weapons when the countries mentioned above don't?
Although I'm not an expert on the issue, the whole argument about the dates of the referendum have been smartly done by the "No" campaigners. Personally, whether the Conservatives were re-elected down south would play a massive part in it for me. The threat of the benefit cuts and NHS cuts happening up here as they have in England is a decision maker I think.
I note that you failed to answer my question:

When the 'Bitter Together' anti-Independence Axis specifically mentions at least a few things that Scotland COULD do better independently than as part of the UK, I will reconsider the label.

As you are so eager to debate, let us debate weapons of mass destruction.

Why don't countries like Germany, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Italy, Poland etc have nuclear weapons to deter states like North Korea and Iran?

Why should Scotland, which is much further away, squander billions on nuclear weapons when the countries mentioned above don't?

Non of those nations were on the winning side in the fight against fascism. Incidentally, you are aware that most of those nations operate nuclear weapons as part of NATO?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_sharing#section_2
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by FinalMH
:s-smilie: Interesting. Assuming you're talking about public debt then I am confused. Just thought I would provide some statistics :smile:

United Kingdom
http://www.debtbombshell.com/
"We owe £18,550 for every man, woman and child"

United Kingdom 2
http://www.nationaldebtclocks.org/debtclock/unitedkingdom
£18,678

France
http://www.nationaldebtclocks.org/debtclock/france
28,761€

Ireland
http://www.nationaldebtclocks.org/debtclock/ireland
30,912€

Germany
http://www.nationaldebtclocks.org/debtclock/germany
27,471€

For the sake of accuracy and completeness you should:

- State the date on which the statistic was compiled - all figures have to be as at the same date;

- State the UK's debt in Euros or the other countries' debts in pounds - to be comparative, the UK figure of £18,678 you have quoted should be shown as 21,480€ at the current exchange rate although the rate would have to be as at the date of the statistic; In fact your links contain figures in dollars. As both the Euro and Dollar have fluctuated quite a bit against Sterling, you would need to take foreign exchange differences into account.

- On the same bases, include figures for Greece, Spain, Portugal and Italy.

For the reasons above, the figures you have mentioned do not provide valid comparisons.
Original post by stravagante
Although I'm not an expert on the issue, the whole argument about the dates of the referendum have been smartly done by the "No" campaigners. Personally, whether the Conservatives were re-elected down south would play a massive part in it for me. The threat of the benefit cuts and NHS cuts happening up here as they have in England is a decision maker I think.

Nhs is a devolved issue though. The SNP, especially sturgeon have banged on about this, but NHS funding through out the UK is ring fenced.
For the sake of accuracy and completeness you should:

- State the date on which the statistic was compiled - all figures have to be as at the same date;

- State the UK's debt in Euros or the other countries' debts in pounds - to be comparative, the UK figure of £18,678 you have quoted should be shown as 21,480€ at the current exchange rate although the rate would have to be as at the date of the statistic; In fact your links contain figures in dollars. As both the Euro and Dollar have fluctuated quite a bit against Sterling, you would need to take foreign exchange differences into account.

- On the same bases, include figures for Greece, Spain, Portugal and Italy.

For the reasons above, the figures you have mentioned do not provide valid comparisons.

Somebody's getting shouty. But his figures do show that the UK is in a better position than most.

interesting news article the other day about the Netherlands struggling now.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Midlander
To say that Greece is in a better economic position than the UK is totally absurd. Italy is on the verge of meltdown, the French are struggling too-it's only Germany who are keeping the Euro afloat at this point.

Besides, this is all by the by-Salmond loves the sterling so wants to keep it. Guess our economy can't be that bad after all.

You have evaded the point and tried to distort.

I also note your deafening silence on your repeated attacks on the SNP government for not spending funds it had not even received.

I have to repeat:

That is the DELIBERATE TACTIC of the likes of L i b, MatureStudent36 and Midlander.

They resort to BLATANT LIES and DISTORTION to REPEAT their DEBUNKED comments NUMEROUS TIMES.
Care to provide the figures for the National Debt PER HEAD OF POPULATION of the UK and Greece?

Original post by Midlander
The eurozone has had to provide bailout funding, and lots of it, to stop Greece going bankrupt. The UK provided several billion pounds in similar money to Ireland. Not really the signs of bulging economic superpowers.

Why don't you provide the figures to prove which country has a higher national debt PER HEAD OF POPULATION?

Why was the UK's credit rating downgraded recently?
You have evaded the point and tried to distort.

I also note your deafening silence on your repeated attacks on the SNP government for not spending funds it had not even received.

I have to repeat:

Midlander has already answered that for you.

are you hoping that people will just read the last page and hope that they'll take whats on your post is truthful.
Why don't you provide the figures to prove which country has a higher national debt PER HEAD OF POPULATION?

Why was the UK's credit rating downgraded recently?

It may have missed you by, but an awful lot of nations credit ratings have been down graded. Possibly due to our(the UK including Scotland's) excessive welfare bill and lower labour productivity numbers.

Original post by MatureStudent36
Its been stuck at 30% for the last thirty years. I can't make it as more simple as that.

Could you at least ask your hero Lib to categorically agree with your above statement.

I cannot put it any more clearly than I had and will have to leave it to readers of these posts to decide if "stuck at 30% for the last thirty years" is an accurate description of the facts.
Could you at least ask your hero Lib to categorically agree with your above statement.

I cannot put it any more clearly than I had and will have to leave it to readers of these posts to decide if "stuck at 30% for the last thirty years" is an accurate description of the facts.

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/offices/scotland/scottishpublicopinionmonitor/keytrends/Independence.aspx

I really can't make it any more straight forward than this. It fluctuates but hovers at 30%

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Images/Scotland/KeyTrends/Scotland_SPOMKT_IndyTrend_Feb13_lrg.jpg
I really can't make it any more straight forward than this. It fluctuates but hovers at 30%
I was specifically talking about the National Debt per capita.

The National Debt of the UK is more than 1 TRILLION POUNDS. Taking 1 Trillion and a population of 60 million, that is approximately GBP 17,000 [EUR 20,000] PER HEAD OF POPULATION.

What is the equivalent figure of the Irish National Debt PER HEAD OF POPULATION of Ireland?.

Ireland : 45000 euros
UK: 28000 Euros.

http://www.eudebtclock.org/

Regarding Germany and France, you are confusing GDP with national debt.

Comparison of DEBT PER HEAD OF POPULATION is not affected by the size of the economy.

No, France and Germany both have higher national debts than the UK. France has a slightly higher DEBT PER HEAD OF POPULATION. Germany has a slightly lower DEBT PER HEAD OF POPULATION.

I really don't know where you are getting your information from.

It is affected by the size of the economy. Larger economies can borrow more. Especially those that can print their money. That is why Japan has a huge DEBT PER HEAD OF POPULATION.

Latest

Trending

Trending