The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
My opinion? Well, at least he's got a belt and won't be looking like this:

Baggy_Pants_280_474470a.jpg
Reply 61
Original post by de_monies
Erm... I'm Asian and I don't wear fake goods (knowingly)...

The only real designer item I'm wearing now are my Ben Sherman shoes, but then I find that spending £80 on shoes is better economy than buying lots of cheap shoes. (Besides, I got them for £50 at another site that had them reduced)

I'm not saying I wear fake clothes. It's what I've seen other teenage kids around that age mentioned in the thread at the start these kids that wear these counterfeit clothes and assessories think they are on top of the world,

I do the same thing as you, buy a quality genuine product it lasts twice as long, at the same time it's economical.
Original post by miser
I don't understand the priorities of a person who would spend £215 on a belt.

That's netbook kinda money!
Original post by sully50sully
what if they earned that money and made that money in like 2-3 months?

Then you spent 3 months working for a belt.

Lol
I probably wouldn't notice they were wearing it in the first place, to be honest. And if I did notice, I probably wouldn't recognise it as one which costs £215. To me it'd just be like any other belt.

But if somehow know that they were wearing a £215 Gucci belt, then regardless of their age, I'd think either:
- They're so rich that money is no object to them. It doesn't matter to them if they get grossly overcharged for something (whether it's a £215 belt or a £215 can of coke), because they've effectively got infinite money. Good for them.
- They're not as rich as in the scenario I described above. But they really want people to think that they are, and will go to great lengths to show it. Perhaps they're a little insecure, and worry about what others might think about them, so it's important that they spend their money on something people can see, and something people will know is expensive.

Second scenario seems more likely. Amongst people who really are as rich as I described in the first scenario (e.g. royalty), displays of wealth in that sort of manner is usually considered quite vulgar.
(edited 11 years ago)
Unless i was walking through an extrememly wealthy area then I would probably assume it's fake.
If he had a job and paid for it himself then i guess thats fair enough, otherwise i think thats a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a belt!
Reply 66
WHAT? Look at all these haters in this thread, broke people hating just because someone wants to feel good about themself. I got a LV belt and it cost 200, and it feels good rather then someone walking down in there 2.00 primark belt. I dont feel i am better then anyone else, infact sometimes i dont even show it off, its just a note to myself I know what im wearing i like it, its expensive gear. Why not spend it? Yes it took me a month to save up but it was worth it.
Reply 67
what if they earned that money and made that money in like 2-3 months?

I would feel a sense of admiration that they genuinely earned it, I would also think they are hard-working
Reply 68
So wasteful.
Reply 69
Also the fact that someone has to be "rich" to afford one of these brands is absoloutely ridiculous. What company targets the minority of rich and succeeds? Everything has a pricetag for the reason of targetting the mass consumer. and for people to call other people insecure because they choose to spend there money on something different that they themselves like, well you can go live in north korea and rot because humanity is dieing if you think that is the case.
(edited 11 years ago)
If they bought the belt with money they earned, it's their business. If they bought the belt with money their parents earned, it's their parents' business. (Although personally I don't think I'd ever spend that much on a belt). If they bought the belt using money from the benefit system then I would think they needed to sort out their priorities.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
If they bought the belt with money they earned, it's their business. If they bought the belt with money their parents earned, it's their parents' business. (Although personally I don't think I'd ever spend that much on a belt). If they bought the belt using money from the benefit system then I would think they needed to sort out their priorities.

Digging your avatar :lazy: :lol:
Reply 72
If you spend 3 months working towards a belt, then you've wasted 3 months of your life. Plus you'll need to save up a lot more to get some common sense. These belts are made for those who earn this kind of money in a couple of hours
what is your opinion?

There isn't a Gucci belt that costs £215 they don't sell it in those dominations. Not even in any season sale it would round up to that, probably a knock off fake.
Original post by SloaneRanger
There isn't a Gucci belt that costs £215 they don't sell it in those dominations. Not even in any season sale it would round up to that, probably a knock off fake.

Ouch.

I know a lot of people who wear fake designer gear like Ralph Lauren, Gucci claiming they got stuff for £20 from there 'mate'
Reply 75
If it's one of those logo things, I'd think eww and chav. If it was a discreet black belt I happened to notice was Gucci then...I wouldn't really care. Either parents pay for it or they've saved up themselves. It wouldn't be my first priority to buy, but each to their own.
A Gucci belt won't cost £215 though, but I assume it was hypothetical idea from the OPs side if he doesn't know what they cost. It's not as if you ask people how much their clothes are.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 76
The parents clearly have more money than common sense
Original post by Pendulum3
Ouch.

I know a lot of people who wear fake designer gear like Ralph Lauren, Gucci claiming they got stuff for £20 from there 'mate'

Even with real designer attire, not everyone can pull it off.....depends on who your trying to be.
Original post by Millie228
If it's one of those logo things, I'd think eww and chav. If it was a discreet black belt I happened to notice was Gucci then...I wouldn't really care. Either parents pay for it or they've saved up themselves. It wouldn't be my first priority to buy, but each to their own.
A Gucci belt won't cost £215 though, but I assume it was hypothetical idea from the OPs side if he doesn't know what they cost. It's not as if you ask people how much their clothes are.

Gucci like with all Saville Row shops are really fussy who they have as recommended sellers, hence why you don't see it in House of Fraser, Debenhams, John Lewis etc.... someone probably told him it cost that otherwise it would probably be a more rounded figure like £200..... When you buy a belt like that, I got one from LV £350 its last me over 2 years for work, makes good standing in an interview. But i made sure to picked a design far less familiar to the fakes you see :biggrin:
I wouldn't know the price of it or whether it was fake or real. I probably wouldn't even notice it.

Latest