The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Advice for International Student at Stirling

Hi guys! My firm choice is Stirling, and I'm super excited about my offer to study Business Studies and Marketing at Stirling. I have a couple of questions though.

1.) If anyone is doing the course, how is the workload?

2.) Are we allowed to transfer? (Suppose I don't enjoy my time at the Uni, which I doubt will happen, but a little contingency planning never hurts :smile:)

3.) How easy is it to get a job in a town like Stirling?

Oh, and if any current students have anything to say about Business Studies and Marketing or if other international students have any experiences to share on how they're funding there uni, feel free to share.

Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Hi,

I'm an international student too! Where do you come from?
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 2
Original post by Patrikk
Hi,

I'm an international student too! Where do you come from?

Yay! I was born in India, but have lived abroad (California and Pennsylvania in the US, Bavaria in Germany) for a large portion of my life. What about you?
Reply 3
I live in Hungary!
Hey guys! I'm a first year at Stirling right now, doign Business studies. The workload is manageable. You shouldn't get too swamped as long as youdon't leave anything until the last minute. I love the Management modules. You have three modules a semester for your first and second year, one of those will be marketing/business, and the other two will of of your choice, from any of the core subjects offered. (I took psychology and economics in my first semester, and economics and politics in my second) For the business module, you get 6 case studies to be written up at 500 words, one essay at 1500 words, and an exam at the end of semester (:

Yes, you are allowed to transfer, however transfers rely on your grades and the university you have applied to transfer too. It's super easy to transfer courses at stirling as well if you want to do that. (:

As for jobs, you'll need to do a bit of hunting, but most people find something within their first semester if they try hard enough. A lot of people complain about not being able to find a job, but all they've done is handed out like, three CV's and then had a bit of a moan, haha.

There are a lot of international students here. I'm Scottish, but my best friends are French and Irish and Swedish. I think you'll really enjoy it here, and well done for getting accepted!! :biggrin:
Reply 5
My course is Sociology and Social Policy.Can I choose French or Spanish ( so I want to learn a language ) as a third subject? How intesive are these language ( courses )? Can I get to intermediate from beginner in a year?

Where are you accomodated? Is Geddes Court a tough place as it is said? :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by catchingROBYNN
Hey guys! I'm a first year at Stirling right now, doign Business studies. The workload is manageable. You shouldn't get too swamped as long as youdon't leave anything until the last minute. I love the Management modules. You have three modules a semester for your first and second year, one of those will be marketing/business, and the other two will of of your choice, from any of the core subjects offered. (I took psychology and economics in my first semester, and economics and politics in my second) For the business module, you get 6 case studies to be written up at 500 words, one essay at 1500 words, and an exam at the end of semester (:

Yes, you are allowed to transfer, however transfers rely on your grades and the university you have applied to transfer too. It's super easy to transfer courses at stirling as well if you want to do that. (:

As for jobs, you'll need to do a bit of hunting, but most people find something within their first semester if they try hard enough. A lot of people complain about not being able to find a job, but all they've done is handed out like, three CV's and then had a bit of a moan, haha.

There are a lot of international students here. I'm Scottish, but my best friends are French and Irish and Swedish. I think you'll really enjoy it here, and well done for getting accepted!! :biggrin:

Hello! Thanks, that was super informative!! :biggrin: It really helped me a lot. Is it easy to balance part-time work and education? Because it's super expensive for me to study as an international student, and I wanna use my time well and get the best grades possible but I don't want to be horribly in debt by the end either. :frown: I can't wait to study in Stirling, though! (if I meet my entry conditions, that is.) The campus looks beautiful and it seems sooo nice. Thanks for everything!
Original post by Patrikk
My course is Sociology and Social Policy.Can I choose French or Spanish ( so I want to learn a language ) as a third subject? How intesive are these language ( courses )? Can I get to intermediate from beginner in a year?

Where are you accomodated? Is Geddes Court a tough place as it is said? :biggrin:

Yeah, of course you can! French and Spanish are the two main languages offered here. They're offered at a beginners and intermediate level, and if you start in the beginners, it's easy to move up to the harder one if needed.

I'm in Geddes, and I love it. It's nothing like is said on here. The stories are grossly exaggerated. Geddes is the cheapest one, but you get a wide range of people staying there. There's parties, and yeah, it can get noisy, but all the halls do, so that's no different than anywhere else. I would recommend Geddes as it's just so welcoming, and everyone is cool about getting to know everyone else (:

Original post by TheTechTuna
Hello! Thanks, that was super informative!! :biggrin: It really helped me a lot. Is it easy to balance part-time work and education? Because it's super expensive for me to study as an international student, and I wanna use my time well and get the best grades possible but I don't want to be horribly in debt by the end either. :frown: I can't wait to study in Stirling, though! (if I meet my entry conditions, that is.) The campus looks beautiful and it seems sooo nice. Thanks for everything!

Yeah! You're in uni about 9-12 hours a week, officially, but you'll have that again to add on in work. I'd recommend getting a weekend job, or something that you can do for a few hours a few nights a week, but NOT both, because you need to use on or another for coursework, especially as we have two exam diets per year (one per semester). But it's not too difficult to balance the two, I personally don't have a job this year, but I'll need to get one next year, and I know a lot of people who are very easily balancing jobs along with their schoolwork (:
Reply 8
Original post by catchingROBYNN
Yeah, of course you can! French and Spanish are the two main languages offered here. They're offered at a beginners and intermediate level, and if you start in the beginners, it's easy to move up to the harder one if needed.

I'm in Geddes, and I love it. It's nothing like is said on here. The stories are grossly exaggerated. Geddes is the cheapest one, but you get a wide range of people staying there. There's parties, and yeah, it can get noisy, but all the halls do, so that's no different than anywhere else. I would recommend Geddes as it's just so welcoming, and everyone is cool about getting to know everyone else (:

Yeah! You're in uni about 9-12 hours a week, officially, but you'll have that again to add on in work. I'd recommend getting a weekend job, or something that you can do for a few hours a few nights a week, but NOT both, because you need to use on or another for coursework, especially as we have two exam diets per year (one per semester). But it's not too difficult to balance the two, I personally don't have a job this year, but I'll need to get one next year, and I know a lot of people who are very easily balancing jobs along with their schoolwork (:

I have just firmed Sociology and Spanish. Probably after a few months, I will need to work too, so I hope I will find something. I am thinking about Geddes and the flats. I don't know yet, but Geddes is the cheapest which is important.

Btw., where do you come from? :smile:
Just visited the uni on saturday at the applicants day, (firmed Law LLB offer today) even though Geddes is the cheapest it is only by a couple of hundred of pounds, but I went into it and its definately adequite for all student needs
Original post by Patrikk
I have just firmed Sociology and Spanish. Probably after a few months, I will need to work too, so I hope I will find something. I am thinking about Geddes and the flats. I don't know yet, but Geddes is the cheapest which is important.

Btw., where do you come from? :smile:

Original post by GlasgowKid95
Just visited the uni on saturday at the applicants day, (firmed Law LLB offer today) even though Geddes is the cheapest it is only by a couple of hundred of pounds, but I went into it and its definately adequite for all student needs

Yuhp!! My friend for Sweden was doing some of the tours and she made a point to point out that Geddes isn't nearly was bad as most people think. It's actually one of the more popular halls, most for the low price, and the rumours that surround it. It's practically the same as the other halls, and it would be here if it wasn't suited to our needs, haha.

I'm from Scotland, down near the Border. But the majority of my friends are either exchange students, or foreign students doing a full course (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending