The Student Room Group

Will unis phone my employer?

Hello,

I am currently full time employed but I am looking to start uni as a mature student. I work doing technical support but feel too young to not be learning more broader subjects. My problem is on my UCAS form I have to note down where i've worked and I don't want to put down my company incase unis or UCAS phone my employer as I haven't mentioned I want to go to uni as I am not 100% sure I will get in. As it's a small company it could cause abit of awkwardness in the office.

This is pretty much the only reason I don't want to apply.

Thanks if you can help
(edited 11 years ago)
They shouldn't do. The only time they might contact the employer is if you're relying on relevant work experience for entry in lieu of academic achievement, at which point they might want to check it out, but they would let you know beforehand.

I was in the same position not long ago and I had my offer before my employer knew anything about it, so it shouldn't be anything to worry about.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Ahh thank you theres another problem, I don't think I have all the UCAS points to get into certain universitys that I was going to apply for but do for another. I need to get all my UCAS points added up to see if its possible to not have them phone my employer.
Original post by Grahd
Ahh thank you theres another problem, I don't think I have all the UCAS points to get into certain universitys that I was going to apply for but do for another. I need to get all my UCAS points added up to see if its possible to not have them phone my employer.

Look at this. If you only have A Levels it's pretty straightforward, but if you have other qualifications, such as Level 3 BTECs, you'll want to add those up too.

Some universities may also not accept anything but A Levels, but I think only Oxbridge, and a few of the top Russell Group universities, would do that.
Reply 4
Original post by Bonoahx
Look at this. If you only have A Levels it's pretty straightforward, but if you have other qualifications, such as Level 3 BTECs, you'll want to add those up too.

Some universities may also not accept anything but A Levels, but I think only Oxbridge, and a few of the top Russell Group universities, would do that.

Yeah I have no A-Levels just a diploma and other certificates from an apprenticeship I did Which was a level 3:

Diploma in ICT Professional Competence

Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles
These two qualifications form the framework of the Apprenticeship and
show development of practical competencies and theoretical knowledge.
Both the Diploma and the Certificate are delivered mainly in the training
centre, with assessment of learning carried out in both the training and
work environment.

CompTIA A+
The CompTIA A+ certification (2009 edition) is the industry standard for
computer support technicians. This is an exam-based qualification that
shows competence in areas such as troubleshooting, networking,
maintenance, security, installation and customer service.

Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP)
These two examinations lead to the MCITP Enterprise Support
Technician qualification. Apprentices who pass these exams will have
the high level of knowledge and skills needed to support end users in
medium-sized or enterprise environments with the most critical and
difficult support issues

Key Skills in Application of Number and Communications Level 2

Employment Rights and Responsibilities

I think they said this adds up to roughly 240 UCAS points I want to do software engineering but not sure if I can with my certificates unless I can do a foundation degree or something beforehand?

It also says on the FAQS for my course:

I may want to go to University after the course. Is this the right programme for me?

Yes. You will be studying Level 3 qualifications equivalent to A Levels. This allows you to gain entry to many universities should you wish to.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Grahd
x

Hm... don't take my word for it, but I can't see many universities accepting you with those qualifications, they're made more for a vocational route to computing.

What universities are you planning on going to? Some may offer a foundation course for you to follow, which may guarantee a place in an honours course if you pass. The Open University is also available, which doesn't require any qualifications and you could potentially keep working until you complete your degree, as it's purely distance-learning. Some places, such as the Armed Forces, sometimes offer training to degree level within the job, so if you're the type of person who can handle that it could be a potential option.
Reply 6
Original post by Bonoahx
Hm... don't take my word for it, but I can't see many universities accepting you with those qualifications, they're made more for a vocational route to computing.

What universities are you planning on going to? Some may offer a foundation course for you to follow, which may guarantee a place in an honours course if you pass. The Open University is also available, which doesn't require any qualifications and you could potentially keep working until you complete your degree, as it's purely distance-learning. Some places, such as the Armed Forces, sometimes offer training to degree level within the job, so if you're the type of person who can handle that it could be a potential option.

What course do you think they are talking about when they say:

I may want to go to University after the course. Is this the right programme for me?

Yes. You will be studying Level 3 qualifications equivalent to A Levels. This allows you to gain entry to many universities should you wish to.

I was hoping to apply for Brighton/Sussex or to Hertfordshire, would passing a year of open university allow me to join a university full time in second year? I will also be a mature student if that makes it any different.

I am stuck on what to do now as I really want to progress.
Reply 7
You have non standard qualifications so you'll need to ask unis if they'll accept them. Some will, some won't - and you may find the results are surprising.

If you go with the OU then again that's non standard so not all unis will accept it. I personally got accepted by NTU for direct entry into the second year but other unis didn't want me.

Posted from Juno's amazing phone
Reply 8
Thank you I will send a few emails out now to see who accepts them.
Reply 9
Original post by Juno
You have non standard qualifications so you'll need to ask unis if they'll accept them. Some will, some won't - and you may find the results are surprising.

If you go with the OU then again that's non standard so not all unis will accept it. I personally got accepted by NTU for direct entry into the second year but other unis didn't want me.

Posted from Juno's amazing phone

Thanks alot have had two universitys that will accept my qualifications out of 4 I have emailed but still waiting for a response from the other two :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending