The Student Room Group

Why abortion is wrong.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HopefulMidwife
So tell me, are you against the circumcision of little boys? Just asking.

Not saying you're a feminist, though you might be, but feminists seem to bleat loudly about abortion being a 'woman's right' and it's 'HER body', regardless of the other beating heart inside of it, but they are strangely silent when it comes to little boys not having their bodily autonomy and right to have an unaltered body.

Not trying to be funny, just a real question.

Yeah, I am. Does that mean I'm allowed to support abortion now?
Reply 21
Original post by Gray Wolf
I have a ball in my hand. I drop the ball, now with interfering without the ball it will most definitely fall to the floor. This is its natural cycle. I let go, ball falls, ball hits the ground. The fact that the ball will fall is a fact. Now let me ask you, what is the difference between me releasing the ball, catching it before it even leaves my hand and burning it and me dropping the ball and catching it half-way and burning it. The answer is; there is none! You end a natural cycle before its definite end, you kill of the emotions, the experiences it was definitely going to have; you have killed a person.

I might point out that according to this analogy, contraception is also wrong because you "end a natural cycle before its definite end". Of course it wouldn't surprise me if you think contraception IS wrong. Potential humans being killed in their millions by little latex socks right there.

Key word: potential. They have not become humans yet, even though they would have without intervention. Likewise, those little bundles of cells that are the casualties of abortions have not become humans yet, even though they would have without intervention

Here's another natural process that would result in a human being with experience and emotion: I go out, have sex with the first woman I find. Is it morally wrong for me to end that natural process by not doing it?

A life where I do that every day will definitely result in life coming into being that would not have been there otherwise. By not living that life, I am killing potential humans. But that's just the thing, they are potential humans, not actual humans. Sperm and eggs are not human beings. Little bundles of cells are not human beings.

I'll admit that there's a grey area around what point the little bundles of cells BECOME human beings, but you can point to early stages and say no, that is definitely not a human being, and you can point to a new born baby and say yes, that is a human being.
Reply 22
So tell me, are you against the circumcision of little boys? Just asking.

Not saying you're a feminist, though you might be, but feminists seem to bleat loudly about abortion being a 'woman's right' and it's 'HER body', regardless of the other beating heart inside of it, but they are strangely silent when it comes to little boys not having their bodily autonomy and right to have an unaltered body.

Not trying to be funny, just a real question.

Bad example. Infant circumcision is wrong.
Infanticide is better than letting a child grow up in an unloving home.

:rolleyes:

Technically speaking...it's not alive....and it's not an infant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
I have a ball in my hand. I drop the ball, now with interfering without the ball it will most definitely fall to the floor. This is its natural cycle. I let go, ball falls, ball hits the ground. The fact that the ball will fall is a fact. Now let me ask you, what is the difference between me releasing the ball, catching it before it even leaves my hand and burning it and me dropping the ball and catching it half-way and burning it. The answer is; there is none! You end a natural cycle before its definite end, you kill of the emotions, the experiences it was definitely going to have; you have killed a person.

Now let me give you some statistics:

196,082 abortions in the UK in 2011
44,000,000 abortions (that is 44 million) in the world
Let me put this in to perspective, in 10 years you have killed more than the population of the united States.

7% of abortions are for either a consequence of rape or health problems to the mother. The rest is because of social reasons. This just infuriates me, if you don't kill your fellow man to steal his money why kill your own child?

Millions are killed every year because people are unable to make an emotional connection with them just because they are bound in a sack of skin. The same people that say "How could the Nazis kill millions of people" well they did it the same way you do!

(the You refers to everyone supporting abortion)

Thank you for reading,

Gray Wolf

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/may/24/abortion-statistics-england-wales

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/Sedgh-Lancet-2012-01.pdf

Having an abortion is one of the toughest and hardest decisions a woman will ever have to make. It has nothing to do with the fact she is lacking emotional connection. It's just sometimes there are other - stronger - factors at play that so she is forced to make this decision. Some of these factors are

•

being economically unstable and not wanting to live on benefits

•

being too young and wanting to pursue education (failure of contraception)

•

her partner demanding it (holy **** you never thought of this one did you)

•

rape

•

health reasons

•

just not being ready for a child for whatever reasons

•

being in such a position in life where she would not be able to provide the best possible life for her child

•

just not wanting a child

Most often the reason why a woman will choose to have an abortion is because she isn't ready to have a child and cannot provide the best possible life for it.
And anyway - is it really moral to ask a grown woman to give up her life and career to give birth? Also, we live in a society where women are told to choose between a successful career and having children so it is really that surprising when an aspiring woman chooses to terminate her pregnancy in fear of having to give up HER dreams?
Reply 25
It's much kinder to get rid of a few cells than to raise a child in squalor because you can't afford anything else, and it's even crueler to have a child brought up in a home that doesn't want it. Your life is ruined, and your child will notice that and blame themself
Ooh boy, another close minded OP. Here's a controversial thought - Maybe, just maybe, a woman has her own choice over her own womb?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Let me put this in to perspective, in 10 years you have killed more than the population of the united States.

7% of abortions are for either a consequence of rape or health problems to the mother. The rest is because of social reasons. This just infuriates me, if you don't kill your fellow man to steal his money why kill your own child?

Millions are killed every year because people are unable to make an emotional connection with them just because they are bound in a sack of skin. The same people that say "How could the Nazis kill millions of people" well they did it the same way you do!

Thank you for reading,

Gray Wolf

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/may/24/abortion-statistics-england-wales

I agree and disagree.

Firstly, that synergy wasn't exactly the best I've ever seen, but I do understand what you're trying to say. Me personally, I'm not pro life or pro choice because I'm not the person who will end up making the decision, but I definitely think that the availability of abortions should be controlled, if you're not willing/prepared to take precautions such as free condoms from any clinic, then really, what do you expect would happen? Similarly, if you don't want a child, then you don't want a child, you shouldn't ever be forced into having kids, so that's where the dilemma starts for me, pregnancy should never be used as a punishment for not taking appropriate precautions because at the end of the day, that's a child's life.

Can I also just say, statistically speaking, more women are left mentally scarred because of an abortion compared to an unwanted childbirth, so there are negatives to abortion as well
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Spontogical
they're completely irrelevant.

The main function of sex is pregnancy.

The main reason people buy a car is to get to places.

:/

Since when? It's not like every time you have sex, you get pregnant. Every time you drive somewhere, you change your position in space and time...
Reply 29
they're completely irrelevant.

The main function of sex is pregnancy.

The main reason people buy a car is to get to places.

:/

If that is correct - what is the purpose of the clitoris?
Mammals have sex for pleasure.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/13/sex-for-pleasure_n_1090811.html
No sir, YOU are wrong.
Original post by Robbie242
This entirely, like say a couple engages in unprotected sex, and the girls like hell no ''I don't use no pill'' and the guy is like ''**** condoms, they suck'' then people like that are just a waste of space when they arrive at the abortion clinic

This is how I should've worded my last post. I know quite a number of people who use abortion as a form of contraceptive. It's disgusting.
Reply 32
This is how I should've worded my last post. I know quite a number of people who use abortion as a form of contraceptive. It's disgusting.
I wholeheartedly agree with you on that one, that's for sure... I don't understand why the range of contraception we have today is not being optimised? it would certainly reduce the amount of abortions per yer. But people will be stupid as usual.
Original post by Xiomara
Since when? It's not like every time you have sex, you get pregnant. Every time you drive somewhere, you change your position in space and time...

No sex = no child? Or am I missing something?

Human race would be extinct without sex?

But that's stupid. Surely that couple is in most need of abortions because they're the least fit to raise children.
Reply 35
Your argument also applies to all medical treatment, so unless you're going to tell me that radiotherapy should be banned because it interferes with the natural order of things then you have no case.

Thank you for reading,

Gray Wolf

I despise how you refer to it as "killing"
Answer me this.. do you agree with the death penalty?
Because I'm curious.. if you do - are you saying that you value an unborn life over an already living one?
I think everyone is entitled to their opinions but your choice of words sicken me
Let people make their own decisions in life. Imagine going for an abortion and the nurse turning round and saying "oh right so you're going to kill it"
How outrageous that would be!
It's not even alive yet and you're already talking about killing it
Let me say this.. if I took your ball out of your hand and crushed it before you had chance to drop it that would be a different cycle so would that not be the same as taking that action away before it had chance to happen and creating a different ending? Now tell me what would be wrong with that?

Thank you for reading,

Gray Wolf

Whilst it's true that some people get abortions for the wrong reasons, you cannot deny that there are some very valid reasons for it. Pregnancies from rape or incest, or confirmation the child will have a disability as you mentioned in your post. Even if that statistic is true and it is only 7%, I'd rather those 7% were able to terminate the pregnancy and avoid consequences rather than banning abortion full stop because of those that get it for the wrong reasons.

I think your sentence "This just infuriates me, if you don't kill your fellow man to steal his money why kill your own child?" is off the mark. That comparison simply doesn't fit with the argument.

Original post by ruby321
I agree. If you don't want a baby, don't ****ing have sex.

Preach it. Except people generally use condoms allowing them to have sex safely and to avoid pregnancy. However if that fails in the one out of ten instance (or whatever the odds are) then are they supposed to just accept the consequence and have the children? Sometimes I really dislike when people say things like "if you don't want kids don't have sex." It's a facepalm comment.
I'm not really for or against abortion from a personal aspect as I believe it is hard to make that decision unless your in that position yourself and so for that reason, I do believe it should be an option.

However, I do believe they should be more encouragement and initiative set up for the parent to be able to give that child away for adoption as soon as possible.I have heard it is a difficult process and in a time when you are probably stressed/anxious, I think abortion is sometimes seen as the easiest route when in fact many people come to regret their decision. Then again, many people still believe it was the best decision to have an abortion but the option of an easier, quicker adoption process should be there for these people.

I personally think many mothers considering terminating their pregnancy would feel more comfortable about this. I don't always believe it is the pregnancy which is the issue (although rape and sexual offences would be different) but it's the future of the child when in that mothers care which leads them to this decision. It would be nice to see a policy that encourages more people to adopt and better access to adoption services for these women.
Reply 39
Poor balls :frown: What did they ever do to you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending