The Student Room Group

Iran Opens Two Nuclear Sites!

Poll

Should Iran Be Free To Develop Nuclear Weapons?

Just days after the talks, Iran has gone in the opposite direction of what other world leaders want:

Iran Opens Two Nuclear Sites On 'Atomic Day'

The move by Iran fuels fears the country could soon have enough weapons-grade material to build a nuclear bomb.

Iran has announced it has opened two nuclear sites, just days after talks with world powers to limit the country's atomic programme.

State television said that operations are under way at a uranium production facility in Ardakan and at the country's biggest uranium mine at Saghand.

Tehran's announcement was made to mark the country’s Atomic Energy Technology Day and comes just four days after talks with six world powers over curbing its nuclear ambitions.

The mines in the city of Saghand in central Iran operate 1,150ft (350m) underground and are within 75 miles (120km) of the new yellowcake production facility in the city of Ardakan, according to the report.

It gave few details of the Ardakan facility but said it had an estimated 60 tonnes of output of yellowcake, which is an impure state of uranium oxide later used in enrichment processes.

The country already has a number of smaller uranium mines and processing facilities.

Maybe they're encouraged by North Korea's own brazenness, boldness and defiance against world powers?

But on another note - now, I'm not dictating who is good and bad, but is it really sensible to have states like Iran (which has religious extremist tendencies and extreme anti-Israel/anti-West stances) and North Korea (ideological extremists with history and ongoing occurrences of extreme threats and defiance of world powers) having nuclear weapons?

Do they really seek it as bargaining tools or do they seek to do some real damage?

Furthermore, could deadly ties be further strengthened between North Korea and Iran (e.g. in nuclear tech collaboration etc)?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

yes come on iran!
Original post by study beats
yes come on iran!

Why do you support them?
Reply 3
Can't say I'm really in favor of ANYONE having nuclear weapons.
Having said that, I don't see what right a nation WITH nuclear weapons has to tell another country that they can't have them.
Massive double standards.
Original post by HumanSupremacist
Why do you support them?

israel has been a bad neighbour lately, and so has USA
Original post by study beats
israel has been a bad neighbour lately, and so has USA

I was under the impression that Israel wasn't the one who has been constantly calling for the destruction of Iran. In fact, if my memory serves me right, it is Iran which has been calling for the destruction of Israel - indeed, a swift Google search could put you right.
Original post by JC.
Can't say I'm really in favor of ANYONE having nuclear weapons.
Having said that, I don't see what right a nation WITH nuclear weapons has to tell another country that they can't have them.
Massive double standards.

This basically.
All the same if they get nukes, it'll prevent wars rather then make wars. They'll all be too scared of the each others nukes to do anything.
I homestly don't see why Israel and USA are moaning about it so much yet they're countries that employ very aggressive foreign policies. Don't give me that stuff about them 'being far more developed' than Iran, the Americans see countries as 'far more developed' as soon as their leaders shut up and follow the American brand of democracy(which incidentally means keeping that country subservient to American interests). Honestly, do we even know Iran actually wants to develop nuclear weapons? We know The USA does not always say the truth about countries and their WMD's(remember Iraq?).

Ohh and I don't think Iran is necessarily Anti West, I. Think it's more that since the Islamic revolution the west has been Anti Iran. If Iran and in actual fact the whole middle east was left to handle its own affairs without continous intervention from selfserving countries then Anti West sentiments would be nom existent.
Original post by doggyfizzel
Israel still have their red line. I doubt they will be allowed to get close the building a bomb. Doing so would totally change the power balance in the region not something any of the regional powers want.

How so? Do you mean by an attack?
Not really as the cold war shows it just leads to dangerous levels of paranoia and lots of proxy wars where other nations are destroyed in an attempt to undermine the other. The best way to avoid wars is to have a responsible regional power.

That last bit would never happen.
Reply 10
Original post by IdeasForLife

QFT.

The majority of these little bods with noble causes soon start enjoying the champagne lifestyle when they come to power and forget about why they got where they did in the first place.

Just look at the lib dems - the most anti car party we've got in this country. Yet, one of my classic cars becomes tax free as of next april DESPITE them being in government?
Look also to the African tin pot republics - a few ex militants getting fat and comfortable whilst the rest of the populous continues to endure the conditions they lived in before the fighting kicked off.
An all out dash to the line while NK draws the Americas? They've been watching lotr..

Would Israel attack Iran and risk retribution in the current situation? If they did that could spark the whole thing off. Plus the American's could be engaged at any moment so could be prevented from backing them up. They'd be forced to go nuclear and that could then spark that whole thing off. Enough of the China esq "no stop it don't" from the US. Two state solution now.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by HumanSupremacist
How so? Do you mean by an attack?
It would seem pretty clear the military option is clearly on the table unless a diplomatic solution can be reached which seems increasingly unlikely. I would think some kind of quick military strike would be feasible and most likely already been or being planned at the least.

Original post by IdeasForLife
It been happening in Western and central Europe pretty well for the last 50 years. I'm not saying its an easy situation, it requires the power to be more motivated by stability than anything else, but the idea that everyone having nuclear weapons will make things fine and dandy simply doesn't stack up in reality. Whenever two nuclear powers have come up against each other its been very dangerous, USSR/USA, India/Pakistan and now Iran/Israel.
Reply 13
Well, I support Israel's right to stop them to be honest.
Reply 14
No, the effects on the wider region will be catastrophic
Reply 15
Israel still have their red line. I doubt they will be allowed to get close the building a bomb. Doing so would totally change the power balance in the region not something any of the regional powers want.

Who's going to stop them and how are they going to do so?

What evidence is there Iran is building a nuke

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Aj12
No, the effects on the wider region will be catastrophic

Iran are not going to use nuclear weapons. An intelligent mind like you must know that. North Korea are the real and true culprits here. It's not the first time America has been disastrously wrong either. North Korea is literally threatening you with an attack, and Iran is allowing world agencies to come and inspect them freely, and we all choose to come down much harder on Iran. I smell an Israeli interest here.
Reply 17
Original post by Steevee
Well, I support Israel's right to stop them to be honest.

Israel, the country that owns nuclear weapons and has used illegal war weapon on gazan civilian populations and continues violating international law by building illegal settlements?
Reply 18
Probably the two con tries threatening them, and probably via the military action they keep threatening.

Google it.

Iranian armed forced are much more advanced then Iraq's... It's not gonna be a walkover..I only need to show you one link with comments from retired and current US and Israeli officials concerning military action. There is a reason why Iran are not taking this seriously, simply because no one is.

In the event of "military action, Hezbollah would fire the thousands of missiles they have at israel and so would Iran, As well as US bases..Mine the hormuz strait..The Iranian Navy is suited to that type of warfare...Look at its anti ship missiles as well..Radar...Air defences...

I think it will be the best equipped and trained army America has encountered fot a while...Israel has no chance on its own.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by MENDACIUM
Iran are not going to use nuclear weapons. An intelligent mind like you must know that. North Korea are the real and true culprits here. It's not the first time America has been disastrously wrong either. North Korea is literally threatening you with an attack, and Iran is allowing world agencies to come and inspect them freely, and we all choose to come down much harder on Iran. I smell an Israeli interest here.

If Iran arms itself with nuclear weapons other nations in the region will follow, the chance of miscalculation becomes very, very high. I don't think Iran would develop nuclear weapons and start nuking everyone but the scope for an accidental nuclear exchange becomes incredibly high. Just look how close things have become between the USA and USSR, India and Pakistan. The last thing the world needs is a similar situation in the Middle East

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending