The Student Room Group

The Next Jack Wills = Holland Cooper

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ed-
You do know people actually live in the country side and go shooting and play polo? :rolleyes:
It wasn't invented by Made in Chelsea to make them look cool

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spare me, these are for people from the Home Counties who think the London green belt is the countryside, a landscape so rugged and impassable they need a Porsche Cayenne to get Crispin and Dahlia to school in the morning.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by scrotgrot
Spare me, these are for people from the Home Counties who think the London green belt is the countryside, a landscape so rugged and impassable they need a Porsche Cayenne to get Crispin and Dahlia to school in the morning.

It can be tough in the wilds of Hertfordshire and Surrey. One definitely needs a 4x4. And green wellies.

I like it that there isn't too much hatin' on Jack Wills so far in the thread, they seem to have a bad rep on TSR from what I can tell, possibly undeservedly, even if it isn't that much fun walking around with their brand name plastered all over you, at least their stuff is quite well made.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It can be tough in the wilds of Hertfordshire and Surrey. One definitely needs a 4x4. And green wellies.

I like it that there isn't too much hatin' on Jack Wills so far in the thread, they seem to have a bad rep on TSR from what I can tell, possibly undeservedly, even if it isn't that much fun walking around with their brand name plastered all over you, at least their stuff is quite well made.

It's because JW is seen to be the clothing of Tories, and tuition fee-hike sympathisers on here lol :tongue: You can avoid the branding though, and just have the little embroidered pheasant which isn't too intrusive. I'm not a fan of the clothes with big logos, and consequently, I don't buy that. But most of the stuff you'd never know was JW, like cardigans and trousers, skirts etc because the branding is usually somewhere that isn't visible :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by scrotgrot

They may choose to wear it but I'm pretty sure it will be more appealing to people from Devon and Dorset.
I can't say I've ever seen someone in the city wearing full tweeds...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ed-
They may choose to wear it but I'm pretty sure it will be more appealing to people from Devon and Dorset.
I can't say I've ever seen someone in the city wearing full tweeds...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are they visible anywhere in England any more? The last time I saw full tweed regalia was in Inverness.
Reply 25
Original post by bunnyonthehill
It's because JW is seen to be the clothing of Tories, and tuition fee-hike sympathisers on here[\b] lol :tongue: You can avoid the branding though, and just have the little embroidered pheasant which isn't too intrusive. I'm not a fan of the clothes with big logos, and consequently, I don't buy that. But most of the stuff you'd never know was JW, like cardigans and trousers, skirts etc because the branding is usually somewhere that isn't visible :smile:

That's probably true haha and I see nothing wrong with that! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's because JW is seen to be the clothing of Tories, and tuition fee-hike sympathisers on here lol :tongue: You can avoid the branding though, and just have the little embroidered pheasant which isn't too intrusive. I'm not a fan of the clothes with big logos, and consequently, I don't buy that. But most of the stuff you'd never know was JW, like cardigans and trousers, skirts etc because the branding is usually somewhere that isn't visible :smile:

Yeah. I quite like their skirts actually and I'm not even a huge tuition fee-hike supporter!
Reply 27
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Are they visible anywhere in England any more? The last time I saw full tweed regalia was in Inverness.

As in does anyone actually still wear full tweeds?
You get some groups who do. A lot of people do in Young Farmers and like I've said people going hunting
I think it's a status symbol these days. But then it always was

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ed-
You get some groups who do. A lot of people do in Young Farmers and like I've said people going hunting

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't hang with the hunters, but yes, I believe there are still tweeds to be found in the Young Hunting circles. :rolleyes:
No. The prices in HC are really expensive. Too expensive to be compared to JW.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ed-

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aside from those, tweed is a favourite of a certain sort of provincial ex-public-schoolboy playing up to a stereotype, for example Stephen Fry, or this one ex-private-school kid I know who also drinks brandy.
As someone who does live in the depths of the countryside, rural devon out of term time **** yeah, young farmers wear superdry and ralph lauren with their stupid collars jacked up, they wouldn't be seen dead in tweed.

The older actual farmers wear basically anything you can buy from mole valley farmers, and this includes basic barbour wax jackets that everyone seems to bum these days with the odd bit of tweed. Anything from the shop linked in the OP does not belong in the proper countryside, and while I don't hunt myself, a large amount of my friends do.
(edited 11 years ago)
No, I do agree. I am a massive JW fan and love the quality etc. And I do feel like I'm well-dressed when I put a blazer on, and wear nice tan shoes with my chinos and tucked in shirt :colondollar:

Good on you. :smile: I think the men's stuff is less overpriced than the ladies' stuff at JW to be honest
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Good on you. :smile: I think the men's stuff is less overpriced than the ladies' stuff at JW to be honest

I do agree! But if you get an Outlet membership, you can get £70 jeans for £19 :biggrin:
I do agree! But if you get an Outlet membership, you can get £70 jeans for £19 :biggrin:

I do have an Outlet membership :smile:
Original post by RibenaRockstar
I do have an Outlet membership :smile:

They are simply the best :biggrin: At £19 a pair there's no point in even going to Primark!
Reply 37
I'm a fan of both because of quality etc and I do buy pieced from chanel, Dior, Michael Kors etc too, it's about a wardrobe as a whole :smile:
Yes the items are expensive but just look at the material. Belts made with real leather and most of their jackets etc are made of tweed which is always pricey. I live in the country, I love horses and I love well tailored jackets and suits. This company pretty much embodies the wardrobe I'd love to wear it I could afford it and I won't apologise for that if the clothes make me feel good😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending