The Student Room Group

Advice on which OCR Module to use in A2 Level Further Mathematics?

Hi all, I am currently studying for OCR AS Maths and Further Maths. I have completed C1: 98 and S1: 87 (resitting) for Maths and FP1: 96 for Further. In May/June I am sitting C2 and M1 for Maths and S2 and M2 for Further. Therefore next year I just have C3 and C4 for Maths, and will be doing FP2, Fp3 and one other module for A2 FM. However I do not know which module to study out of D1, M3 or S3, bearing in mind I find M2 hard as it is. Could anyone who has studied these modules possibly compare each one and advise me which to choose? Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by _JC95
Hi all, I am currently studying for OCR AS Maths and Further Maths. I have completed C1: 98 and S1: 87 (resitting) for Maths and FP1: 96 for Further. In May/June I am sitting C2 and M1 for Maths and S2 and M2 for Further. Therefore next year I just have C3 and C4 for Maths, and will be doing FP2, Fp3 and one other module for A2 FM. However I do not know which module to study out of D1, M3 or S3, bearing in mind I find M2 hard as it is. Could anyone who has studied these modules possibly compare each one and advise me which to choose? Thanks.

I haven't done M3 yet, so I can't comment on that, but I have covered S3 (sitting for it this June), I'd say it isn't much harder than S2. A lot of it is just expanding on and applying what you learnt in S1 and S2. How are you finding S2 so far?
Reply 2
Original post by justinawe
I haven't done M3 yet, so I can't comment on that, but I have covered S3 (sitting for it this June), I'd say it isn't much harder than S2. A lot of it is just expanding on and applying what you learnt in S1 and S2. How are you finding S2 so far?

I don't mind S2 it's pretty nice.. i really like Stats in general and should have done better on S1 if I hadn't spent so much time on 1 question.

So yeah, what does S3 have in it content-wise then?:smile:

And have you had any experience of D1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by _JC95
I don't mind S2 it's pretty nice.. i really like Stats in general and should have done better on S1 if I hadn't spent so much time on 1 question.

So yeah, what does S3 have in it content-wise then?:smile:

And have you had any experience of D1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't notice that this was for OCR... I'm doing Edexcel, not too sure how similar the two are. But for edexcel S3, it's mostly a lot of hypothesis testing and estimations of parameters like mean and variance.

Yes, I'm self-studying D1 for these coming exams. It's definitely easier than S3 or M3, however it is incredibly boring. Pretty much no maths to it at all. If you're into programming/computer science kind of things you may like it. If the choice were mine I definitely would not take D1, but maybe you could consider it if you really need the UMS next year, as it is extremely easy.
Reply 4
Original post by justinawe
I didn't notice that this was for OCR... I'm doing Edexcel, not too sure how similar the two are. But for edexcel S3, it's mostly a lot of hypothesis testing and estimations of parameters like mean and variance.

Yes, I'm self-studying D1 for these coming exams. It's definitely easier than S3 or M3, however it is incredibly boring. Pretty much no maths to it at all. If you're into programming/computer science kind of things you may like it. If the choice were mine I definitely would not take D1, but maybe you could consider it if you really need the UMS next year, as it is extremely easy.

Well in OCR S2 there is a lot of hypothesis testing, but if there is also in Edexcel S2 then the specs could still be similar??

And I don't like the sound of D1 at all, I just feel it may be better for UMS. Saying that though I should get the 480 UMS and then as D1 is an as module not A2 it wouldn't come into an A* offer anyway, so I would be best with M3 or S3 probably and if I find it too hard to get 90 on it then I could still hopefully get 90+ on 3 of FP2, FP3, M2, S2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending