The Student Room Group

Become a teacher

Hi all,

I am 24 and basically, I made some mistakes when I was younger. I have my GCSE and a diploma in music, but I have been stuck in a awful sales job for far too long. I have always wanted to become a teacher, primary school I think for me, but I never thought I was smart enough. How on earth do I start the ball rolling for this, I tried a home study for a TA with ICS but after waiting 5 weeks for tutor support I told them to F**K off.

Any advise would be amazing!!

Thank you!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by PlantVZombie
Hi all,

I am 24 and basically, I made some mistakes when I was younger. I have my GCSE and a diploma in music, but I have been stuck in a awful sales job for far too long. I have always wanted to become a teacher, primary school I think for me, but I never thought I was smart enough. How on earth do I start the ball rolling for this, I tried a home study for a TA with ICS but after waiting 5 weeks for tutor support I told them to F**K off.

Any advise would be amazing!!

Thank you!!

Is it possible for you to quit work and return to study?
Also, I her the Open University is fantastic.
Reply 2
Original post by becky1237
Is it possible for you to quit work and return to study?
Also, I her the Open University is fantastic.

I could, but I would have to get a student loan and go down the real student experience route. I have also heard good things about the open university.
Reply 3
Original post by PlantVZombie
I could, but I would have to get a student loan and go down the real student experience route. I have also heard good things about the open university.

I'm not sure how good OU would be for a Primary Ed course, due to the placements. It would probably involve not working for blocks of weeks at a time for them. I applied to do a part time Primary Ed course, because of work, but I couldn't do it, because of having to take up to 8 weeks off work at a time for placement.
I bit the bullet last year and applied through UCAS for a full time course and am starting BA Primary Education and Teaching in September :smile: Teaching courses are very full on and require a lot of commitment.
Am the same, I been through a few dead end jobs and never been happy. I always known I had a passion for working with children. I notices this every more after working six months a sport coach with primary schools. Coaching PE and after school clubs. I just I done something more after that but it's taken a few more jobs to realise that I had to do something to get myself in a job am happy. My aim now to become a physical education teacher. I applied for physical education QTS course and just general physical education courses. I didn't get on the QTS course but did get on a general. Which am fine with just have to do PGCE. If you really want it bite the bullet and get yourself on a degree. Either a 4 year QTS course or general degree and then do a PGCE

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by lozzielizzie
Am the same, I been through a few dead end jobs and never been happy. I always known I had a passion for working with children. I notices this every more after working six months a sport coach with primary schools. Coaching PE and after school clubs. I just I done something more after that but it's taken a few more jobs to realise that I had to do something to get myself in a job am happy. My aim now to become a physical education teacher. I applied for physical education QTS course and just general physical education courses. I didn't get on the QTS course but did get on a general. Which am fine with just have to do PGCE. If you really want it bite the bullet and get yourself on a degree. Either a 4 year QTS course or general degree and then do a PGCE

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if I really want to do it, I need to face facts and go full time and live the student dream?? Sounds good what you are doing though well done!! Hope it goes weel for you!

I know I am young but I am now 25 and I think god in 4 years I will be 29!!
Same am 24 currently but 25 within once month of uni. It's was a hard decision for me to make. I wanted a life where I will be happy with the job situation. As my current job is not that, I work long hours, for low pay. I do lot in my spare time and my current job limit this. I made up mind that am not going any where currently so had to do something as I don't want to be is this place. Otherwise I can see myself drifting from job to job. Since 2008 I been on job seekers 4 times which isn't good. It's going to be alot of hard work as I need a 2.1 from my undergrad to stand a chance of getting on PGCE. Best thing I can say is bite the bullet go for it full time. Also try and get on the four year QTS course as you won't have hassle of having to get on a PGCE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Same am 24 currently but 25 within once month of uni. It's was a hard decision for me to make. I wanted a life where I will be happy with the job situation. As my current job is not that, I work long hours, for low pay. I do lot in my spare time and my current job limit this. I made up mind that am not going any where currently so had to do something as I don't want to be is this place. Otherwise I can see myself drifting from job to job. Since 2008 I been on job seekers 4 times which isn't good. It's going to be alot of hard work as I need a 2.1 from my undergrad to stand a chance of getting on PGCE. Best thing I can say is bite the bullet go for it full time. Also try and get on the four year QTS course as you won't have hassle of having to get on a PGCE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same with me, I have been in dead end sales jobs for years and I have had enough, like I am really worried right now about what I will be doing in 10 years if I don't step up and really go for it. What is the best way to get, or try to get on a QTS course???
A-levels, each course will have different requirement of points. Research uni and see the requirements for the course you want. You mentioned primary education early. So type that in google and you get a list of some of the unis that do that course. I know the university I will be going to does primary education. QTS require an interview, which you will need to be prepared for. QTS course are very competitive. So you really need the best possible grades, at least 300 ucas points. Plus as well any experience you can get will boast your chances of getting a interview and place. Also as a requirement by the government for teaching training course you have to pass the skills test before you start the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
A-levels, each course will have different requirement of points. Research uni and see the requirements for the course you want. You mentioned primary education early. So type that in google and you get a list of some of the unis that do that course. I know the university I will be going to does primary education. QTS require an interview, which you will need to be prepared for. QTS course are very competitive. So you really need the best possible grades, at least 300 ucas points. Plus as well any experience you can get will boast your chances of getting a interview and place. Also as a requirement by the government for teaching training course you have to pass the skills test before you start the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, so I cannot do a QTS from the start, I need to go lower and then do my QTS. How do I go about getting a student loan?? Also can you get a loan if I were to do part time??
You get a student loan through student finance. As far as am aware you can get loans for part time study. It just takes longer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey,

I am just doing my application and there asking: - Please give information about relevant paid or unpaid employment or work experience gained since the age of 16. Now would this be course related work, or my general work history??
You get a student loan through student finance. As far as am aware you can get loans for part time study. It just takes longer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,

I am just doing my application and there asking: - Please give information about relevant paid or unpaid employment or work experience gained since the age of 16. Now would this be course related work, or my general work history??

Hey, thanks for that, but total change of plan, I am going full time now for sure!!!!! Just doing my UCAS and I am rather stuck on my statement, any tips??
Have you looked at the ucas guide on writing personal statements. Just try and express why you want to be a teacher. How your past studies are relate to what you want to study. What experience you have in that area. Work experience/qualification. A bit about yourself. Why you want to do the course. Your hobbies. Just remember there is a word limit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
All sorts of useful hints and tips on writing a Personal Statement, right here on TSR:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement_Library
Have you looked at the ucas guide on writing personal statements. Just try and express why you want to be a teacher. How your past studies are relate to what you want to study. What experience you have in that area. Work experience/qualification. A bit about yourself. Why you want to do the course. Your hobbies. Just remember there is a word limit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

I have been offered a place at a uni doing a BA hons in Early years which is the key to exactly who I want to end up teaching. Just need to clear a CRB and I am set. Thanks for your help and pointing me to the idea of going full time.

BYE BYE call centre!!
Reply 18
Congratulations! Welcome to the adventure :smile:
That's great, good luck with it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending