The Student Room Group

Presentation for GEN at Notting Uni questions

Hello,

I am currently working on my presentation for my interview on the 2nd of May, I have applied to do the Graduate Entry Nursing course at The University of Nottingham.

I have to make my presentation on the following topic

“The transferable knowledge and skills that I have developed through prior learning and experience, and how these can be applied to nursing in my chosen field of study”

This I feel I could talk about till I am blue in the face, but its what the presentation should demonstrate I am struggling to integrate into what i have to say on the topic.

I need to demonstrate.

- Application of theoretical knowledge to nursing.

- Critical evaluation (this i can do if I understand exactly what I need to include in relation to the above criteria)

- Reflective learning (this I can do)

- Good communication and presentation style (this I can do)

- Accurate referencing (this I can do)

Any thoughts?

Does the criteria 'Application of theoretical knowledge to nursing' perhaps refer to theoretical knowledge outside the profession of nursing, for instance theories etc that I learned when studying for my Psychology degree? Or is it more about theories about nursing practice and models and concepts researched within nursing. Once I have some clarity I should be able to storm ahead.

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi Ben,

I also have an interview for the GEN course (mental health branch) and am struggling with the exact same thing as you, so it's sort of nice to know I'm not alone! Out of interest, are you applying for mental health too? I have a psychology degree as well and was thinking along the same lines as you with regards to referring to theories I learnt about in psychology. I think it's quite difficult though because there are so many and it's hard to know what's going to be relevant when you haven't studied nursing before. The fact that it says 'application of theoretical knowledge' makes me want to go more with the idea that they want to know about your own theoretical knowledge rather than theories within nursing that you've researched. I could be wrong though. Not sure whether I've provided you with any clarity or just confused you more :s hopefully it's the former!

Good luck anyway!
I have an interview for the GEN course at Nottingham on 19th April and I'm stuck with the presentation too! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hi guys! I also have an interview on May 2 nd and to be honest until I found this thread, I was thinking it was Nursing theories but now you have made me completely doubt that it is :/. To be honest though, it was many years ago that I did my degree and can't really remember many of the theories which I used in Biology and Psychology so I am now also unsure!
Reply 4
Hi Annie,

Yeah, I want to do mental health, the presentation topic outlines that I should make the presentation related to the specific field of study I am applying for. So this narrows down what I need to include :smile:.

I have been brushing up on mental health in Psychology and reading around the roles of a Mental Health Nurse etc. So I could produce a presentation from both sides, but obviously I need to get this right. So I have decided that I am going to call admissions Monday morning and explain my problem and ask for some clarity.

I was thinking originally, when I first read the brief; that I needed to outline my personal, educational and professional experiences and then link these into what it is a Mental Health Nurse does for patients, what professional knowledge they are expected to know etc and how my knowledge transfers over and how it could be applied to the course. This to me sounds like the most likely way to go, but of course I need to be 100% otherwise I could present something that isn't relevant.

Joise take a look at this link http://nursingplanet.com/pn/

Regards,

Ben.
Reply 5
Hello guys,

I am going to the interview on 18th Apr for adult nursing. I was thinking to do a presentation about my personal, educational and professional experience like Ben said but I am not too sure now after I've everyone comment. Anyone have any idea?

Also does anyone know what exactly is the mapping tool? Do we need to provide an example of each box?

Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
I called admissions a s got clarification. It is just how you would apply theoretical knowledge from your own experiences, work, learning etc to nursing. Not theoretical knowledge from the field of nursing. It's all about you/me and what we know already and how it will be useful :biggrin:. Sorted I can start properly now.

Regards,

Ben.

P.S

If anyone would like to talk privately and discuss ideas, content etc PM me. I realise we will all have different experiences this different presentations, but we only have five minutes and it is always good to get a fresh set of eyes to say 'do you really need that in, when THIS might be much better in relation to your experience etc'. Good to look to those who have their interview in April, I would love to hear how it goes of you would be willing to share, might help my need knowing what kind of environment I am going into. Thanks.

Please excuse any typos and spelling mistakes I am on my phone.
Reply 7
Original post by benja2013
I called admissions a s got clarification. It is just how you would apply theoretical knowledge from your own experiences, work, learning etc to nursing. Not theoretical knowledge from the field of nursing. It's all about you/me and what we know already and how it will be useful :biggrin:. Sorted I can start properly now.

Regards,

Ben.

P.S

If anyone would like to talk privately and discuss ideas, content etc PM me. I realise we will all have different experiences this different presentations, but we only have five minutes and it is always good to get a fresh set of eyes to say 'do you really need that in, when THIS might be much better in relation to your experience etc'. Good to look to those who have their interview in April, I would love to hear how it goes of you would be willing to share, might help my need knowing what kind of environment I am going into. Thanks.

Please excuse any typos and spelling mistakes I am on my phone.

Thank you! I think I better start working on my presentation. I will keep you guys updated about the interview.
Reply 8
I have an interview on the 19th April for Child Branch GEN and am slightly confused by the mapping thing we were sent. Are we meant to fill that in? And does anyone understand what to do with that? (I'm hoping anyone with an interview will understand what I am talking about!) x
Original post by Sarah335
I have an interview on the 19th April for Child Branch GEN and am slightly confused by the mapping thing we were sent. Are we meant to fill that in? And does anyone understand what to do with that? (I'm hoping anyone with an interview will understand what I am talking about!) x

Hey I have an interview for the 19th as well but for adult branch. I have no idea either !! Looks like something that the interviewers would fill out during interview but I have no idea :s-smilie: Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Also, the presentation tells you to use accurate referencing, and I emailed Nottingham to clarify what this exactly meant and I got a reply saying use Harvard referencing but that could be done on the day if you weren't used to it.... but what are we meant to be referencing in our presentation? I thought we were just basically talking about our experiences and how they are relevant to caring and for me child nursing?

Is anyone else confused by this/know the answer? x
Also, the presentation tells you to use accurate referencing, and I emailed Nottingham to clarify what this exactly meant and I got a reply saying use Harvard referencing but that could be done on the day if you weren't used to it.... but what are we meant to be referencing in our presentation? I thought we were just basically talking about our experiences and how they are relevant to caring and for me child nursing?

Is anyone else confused by this/know the answer? x

Hiya

When I got my interview invitation through the post I was really surprised that we had to prepare a presentation! I spoke about this presentation with my dissertation supervisor at uni and he suggested to take theories I've learned in my psychology degree and apply them to nursing, for example individual differences (where referencing would come in). I guess you could also throw in some general stuff - about yourself and your qualities etc but I'm really not sure! :s-smilie:

What is your first degree? :smile: see what you can take from that to apply to nursing
Hiya

On a side note, does anyone know if it's possible to switch from the GEN to the BSc? (If I'm offered a place). I know that sounds weird but I wish I'd applied for the BSc instead.
Reply 13
Original post by mangoC
Hello guys,

I am going to the interview on 18th Apr for adult nursing. I was thinking to do a presentation about my personal, educational and professional experience like Ben said but I am not too sure now after I've everyone comment. Anyone have any idea?

Also does anyone know what exactly is the mapping tool? Do we need to provide an example of each box?

Thanks

Have you had your interview? How did it go?
Reply 14
Original post by Josie03
Have you had your interview? How did it go?

It went ok, thanks!

Everyone there was very nice. Don't need to worry about it. We were all sitting in a waiting room to do the mapping tools. You can ask if you have any questions. You can submit it on the day or submit it by Nov. They said don't need to worry about the mapping tools too much, we have plenty of time to complete it.

The interview itself was quite informal. It was your presentation, then they would ask you questions about it or questions about you. Mine interview wasn't too long. I thought its ok, don't need to worry about it too much. It wasn't too difficult, I had a feeling they want to find out about you.
Hi guys :smile:

I had my interview today. It was really informal and they were lovely.
The presentation can be up to 10 minutes I found out during my interview. I presented my presentation and then answered general interview questions about nursing. I was interviewed by a mental health nurse even though I'm going for adult branch, and she found my presentation really interesting with it being drawn from my psychology degree.
Notts uni is very about transferable skills, this is something they emphasised on the open day and also with the presentation, interview and the mapping tool. So just take everything out of your degree, work experience, personality etc and apply it to nursing :smile:

p.s. by hard copy of the presentation they meant print out the slides. I took this the wrong way and put it onto a CD :blush:
Reply 16
Interesting!

Was yours a long interview? They didn't ask me any nursing questions. They only asked me 3 or 4 questions about myself after my presentation. I was expecting questions about NHS recent news. Spent lots of time on it but hadn't been asked at all.
Yeah she seemed to ask me quite a few questions, what I think student nurses are allowed to do on placement, how I will balance placement + coursework, why adult nursing as opposed to any other branch etc. I was asked about the recent news too haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)

Hi, :smile: I have an interview on 7th May for Children's and was wondering how much work experience you have? My degree was in Psychology with my dissertation focusing on the influence adults can have upon children in their care. I am also currently an healthcare assistant but on an adult ward, I have a little work experience with children as well as the usual babysitting etc. I am worried that although my theoretical knowledge is broad I don't have enough experience.

Also, did they throw in any horrible questions that threw you off? I have been doing my research and trying to think of what they might ask me but nerves are setting in and I am beginning to worry :confused:

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Alice x
Reply 19
Original post by ajbloorface
Hi, :smile: I have an interview on 7th May for Children's and was wondering how much work experience you have? My degree was in Psychology with my dissertation focusing on the influence adults can have upon children in their care. I am also currently an healthcare assistant but on an adult ward, I have a little work experience with children as well as the usual babysitting etc. I am worried that although my theoretical knowledge is broad I don't have enough experience.

Also, did they throw in any horrible questions that threw you off? I have been doing my research and trying to think of what they might ask me but nerves are setting in and I am beginning to worry :confused:

Thanks

Alice x

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated!
Hi Alice, I have an interview for Child Branch on 2nd May (eek...my nerves are setting in too!). My degree is in Biology and Psychology and since my degree, I have been working in a childcare setting, but I do not have any hospital experience. I think there will be a huge variety and scope of experience so try not to worry! How are you getting on with the presentation? It is still baffling me! Josie xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending