The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Iamyourfather
How fortunate are we? Tap water is considered 'ass water' in the first world.

Is it? I've never heard of that before.

We have access to a pretty much unlimited supply of perfectly safe, clean drinking water on tap. Some people in third world countries have to walk miles to fetch bucket loads of cholera infested water.

"At any given time, close to half the population of the developing world is suffering from waterborne diseases associated with inadequate provision of water and sanitation services" (source)

I'd say we're rather fortunate.
Reply 41
Where do you live?

Up in the north of Scotland where I live we have some of the best tap water in the world (seriously, my Mum works in the water industry and so did I at one point), but even going down as far as Edinburgh there is a noticeable difference. The water in London is horrible, to me it is completely unheard of for anyone to buy bottled water as the stuff that comes out the tap is so good, but I can see why people in places like that would need to!
Original post by pjm600
Is it? I've never heard of that before.

We have access to a pretty much unlimited supply of perfectly safe, clean drinking water on tap. Some people in third world countries have to walk miles to fetch bucket loads of cholera infested water.

"At any given time, close to half the population of the developing world is suffering from waterborne diseases associated with inadequate provision of water and sanitation services" (source)

I'd say we're rather fortunate.

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. I said we're fortunate (I asked a rhetorical q). Many of us, only use the tap to take a shower with (hence 'ass' water). Many people in third countries don't really have a choice on the matter, they drink what's available; usually the water is either non-existent or disease infested.

What did you think I meant?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by beccagood95
I quite like the water in Farnborough (South of England). I think the minerals it runs through is what does it. We have a hard water area here, so it's full of calcium and flouride (that's probably put in on purpose), which is good for teeth and I think it makes the water taste nicer. My boyfriend has a filter placed in his plumbing and I hate the way his water tastes.

:sexface:
Reply 44
Original post by Iamyourfather
I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. I said we're fortunate (I asked a rhetorical q), and to us in the developed world, who have a choice not to drink water from the tap. Many of us, only use the tap to take a shower with (hence 'ass' water). Many people in third countries don't really have a choice in the matter, they drink what's available; usually the water is either non-existent or disease infested.

What did you think I meant?

I thought you meant "how fortunate are we", as in, 'can we really consider ourselves fortunate'. Then "considered ass water" as in it's dirty.

Ah, I see now, I didn't read the first part as a rhetorical question, I thought it was in rebuttal to the guy you quoted.
I have a friend from Hong Kong who still can't bring herself to drink our water after living here for years. She uses a Britta filter and reports no taste afterward so maybe that's the way to go.

I can't taste anything, but maybe my pallet isn't refined enough :ashamed2:
Original post by the bear
:sexface:

D: Did not even notice. :colondollar:
Original post by pjm600
I thought you meant "how fortunate are we", as in, 'can we really consider ourselves fortunate'. Then "considered ass water" as in it's dirty.

Ah, I see now, I didn't read the first part as a rhetorical question, I thought it was in rebuttal to the guy you quoted.

No, sorry for the confusion :tongue:
I agree with you all we are fortunate to have clean drinking water easily available, but the fact is that it still tastes horrible compared to bottle stuff (or maybe other parts of the country)

Obviously I would drink it if it was the only thing available
Am I a bit weird for liking the different tastes of water, especially hard water, clean water is boring and 'metalicy' taste isn't great. East yorkshire water is the best for me out of all Scottish and Northumbrian water comes close but no where in the world has it like east yorkshire. Hard, minerally yet distictvly none metallic.
Reply 50
In Scotland tap water tastes like bottled water (IMO) when I go to relatives near Birmingham I cannot stomach the tap water, it is disgusting!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
I don't mind it, though occasionally when it floods the tap water does come out slightly muddied..I guess that's just the perks of your own water supply :biggrin:
Reply 52
Agreed, I don't like it either. I only drink Volvic. I hate most other bottled water too.
Original post by shaylux
I don't mind it, though occasionally when it floods the tap water does come out slightly muddied..I guess that's just the perks of your own water supply :biggrin:

:yucky:
Reply 54
Should move to Scotland, our tap water is incredible! :P
No limescale in sight :wink: The only thing I really dislike about travelling down south is the tap water, its really expensive to live on bottled water.
Reply 55
Original post by dada55
I like the taste of tap water but only from the kitchen, everywhere else i have this paranoia that its dirty lol. Whether its safe to drink it, I can't be bothered to care really.

me too, but i like tap water from everywhere :colone: - at my house ofc

i cant really drink bottled water, its too soft for me i think
Tbh, I can't taste the difference between tap water and bottled water.

Clearly my taste buds are just rubbish :P
Reply 57
no i just drink tap as long as it looks clean but i normally run it for a couple of seconds to make sure any water holded in the pipes comes out.
Reply 58
I never used to like tap water but I do now. Well it depends on where I am as I've been to some places and the tap water wasn't as nice. Maybe get a filter jug. I was planning to get one for uni if I didn't like the taste of the water up here but it's just as nice :smile: .
Reply 59
Original post by Patel3000
they do add some stuff to it like flourine for our teeth, but it is safe to drink, i have never tasted bottled water so don't know what it would be like, does it have a taste?

Depends where you live, 90% of the country receives water that has not been artificially "fluoridated", though a %age have naturally occurring calcium fluoride present ("treated" water is imbued with sodium fluoride).

Only 5 of the UK's 25 water providers treat their water with fluoride - and only in local authorities that specifically request it (most of the artificially fluoridated water is located in the North-East and Midlands, where tooth decay is rather prevalent)

Latest