The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

International Summer School

Hi everybody, :smile: I've applied to the ISS at the University of Sussex as an Italian student (year 12) and I've been made an offer for the Physics course, which was my first choice. I want to come to UK next year to study physics at university, so I'm really interested in the subject, but I was wondering if it's worth to spend more than £1400 to attend this course.

Has anyone participated to this summer school before?
And do you think this would give me more chances to get into a top uni next year?
As an international student, I'm afraid I don't have many opportunities to be as competitive as English applicants.
More than anything it will improve your language skills, and give you confidence about studying in a different language - and give you an idea of what living in a different country's culture for three years would be like. So, no, it isnt a waste of time, but only you and your family can judge whether this sort of experience is worth that amount of money.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
More than anything it will improve your language skills, and give you confidence about studying in a different language - and give you an idea of what living in a different country's culture for three years would be like. So, no, it isnt a waste of time, but only you and your family can judge whether this sort of experience is worth that amount of money.

I know it would certainly be a valuable experience and if costed less I wouldn't think twice about it. The point is I don't know if the summer school would somehow enhance my chances to get in a competitive university (if I meet all the other criteria, of course) and, therefore, would be a good "investment". That's my only concern.
Hi there,

I actually teach at the ISS for the physics course. I think it's a great course but I'm not sure if it will help with your career aspirations, I'd suggest giving Lesley Onura an email and asking her if it's suitable for you. Most of the course (90%+) is American students who need to complete a physics course to complete their pre med degrees. It is a challenging course though, and I love teaching it. Also you get to enjoy summer in Brighton which I think is a fantastic experience in itself!
Reply 4
Original post by Antimatter
Hi there,

I actually teach at the ISS for the physics course. I think it's a great course but I'm not sure if it will help with your career aspirations, I'd suggest giving Lesley Onura an email and asking her if it's suitable for you. Most of the course (90%+) is American students who need to complete a physics course to complete their pre med degrees. It is a challenging course though, and I love teaching it. Also you get to enjoy summer in Brighton which I think is a fantastic experience in itself!

The answer to your avatar is there's no inverse :wink: XD

also the summer school is mainly for international applicants right?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending