The Student Room Group

What are you doing at A-level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hieuluu
Btw how did everyone revise S1? I'm not too worried about C1 and C2 but S1 on the other hand. I don't know what's going on half the time :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly how I feel. I plan on going through literally all the questions in the text book and my revision book, then doing all the past papers. My brain doesn't work well for stats, so I'm just gunna have to wok really hard.
Reply 21
Geography
French
English Literature
Sociology

I really want to study geography at uni so have picked these! If possible I would have swapped english lit for politics :frown:
Reply 22
Maths
Physics
Biology
Art
Reply 23
I do Cambridge Pre-Us instead but I'm doing Latin, Greek and Music
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Wykehamist
I do Cambridge Pre-Us instead but I'm doing Latin, Greek and Music :bhangra:

I've heard of these before but don't really understand what they are. Are they at the same level as a-level or harder/easier? Are you doing these at your sixth form or an another centre or school?
Reply 25
Original post by Dusky Mauve
Exactly how I feel. I plan on going through literally all the questions in the text book and my revision book, then doing all the past papers. My brain doesn't work well for stats, so I'm just gunna have to wok really hard.

My teacher said S1 is the easiest out of the three, with mostly formulas needing to memorise. Is this true?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
No, I'm staying at the same school for them (unless I don't get 6 'A's' at GCSE). Cambridge Pre-Us were made by Cambridge University (obviously) and schools like Winchester, Eton etc. to provide better courses than A-Level. They are much harder, but the courses are much better and rely more on talent for the subject.
Reply 27
Original post by Peace&Love
I've heard of these before but don't really understand what they are. Are they at the same level as a-level or harder/easier? Are you doing these at your sixth form or an another centre or school?

No, I'm staying at the same school (unless I don't get six As at GCSE) to do them in sixth form. Pre-Us were made by Cambridge University as well as Winchester,Eton etc. to provide better courses for subjects. They are harder, but the courses are much better and enjoyable, as well as testing natural talent as well as learning ability.
Original post by hieuluu
My teacher said S1 is the easiest out of the three, with mostly formulas needing to memorise. Is this true?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I find it the hardest of the three, as there are many 'conventions' and things that just don't make sense to me :frown:
Much prefer the core subjects :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by hieuluu
Btw how did everyone revise S1? I'm not too worried about C1 and C2 but S1 on the other hand. I don't know what's going on half the time :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

examsolutions.net
English lit, English language and History... I enjoyed them at first but coming to the end of A2 and they feel impossible! Hah.
Original post by Wykehamist
No, I'm staying at the same school for them (unless I don't get 6 'A's' at GCSE). Cambridge Pre-Us were made by Cambridge University (obviously) and schools like Winchester, Eton etc. to provide better courses than A-Level. They are much harder, but the courses are much better and rely more on talent for the subject.

Oh I see, are they seen by universities as an equivalent to a-levels are are they favoured?
Original post by when she was 22
English lit, English language and History... I enjoyed them at first but coming to the end of A2 and they feel impossible! Hah.

Does history contain a lot of content? & is it really difficult?

Along with maths, chemistry and biology. I am considering whether to chose history or french.
Reply 33
I do maths, further maths, history and biology... find biology the hardest and history is very interesting, if you can write a decent essay you should find it manageable, try to find out which topics your school teaches and decide whether you would find them interesting or not - if you're good at French however that would also be a good option

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _JC95
I do maths, further maths, history and biology... find biology the hardest and history is very interesting, if you can write a decent essay you should find it manageable, try to find out which topics your school teaches and decide whether you would find them interesting or not - if you're good at French however that would also be a good option

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ive heard a lot of people comment on how difficult biology is, what makes it so difficult?
I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, History, Latin and Philosophy and Ethics.... Maths is definitely the easiest, Philosophy is the only challenging one IMO
Reply 36
When you say work hard, how many hours of revision is this in a week? :smile:

Its not about how much you revise but more the way you revise.
Does history contain a lot of content? & is it really difficult?

Along with maths, chemistry and biology. I am considering whether to chose history or french.

I find History the most difficult, others might disagree! I'm on OCR, and there is a a lot of content - current exam I'm studying for German nationalism, 1789-1919, and you've got to be synoptic of the entire era for good marks. AS year was a manageable amount of content, the only real difficulty with that was learning exam skills and essay styles. A2 is a nightmare sent from hell and I can't wait for it to be over.
I was just wondering what subjects you guys were considering doing at A-level? & how have you decided what to pick?

:smile:

Being Polish I've chosen Maths & Further Maths having some major educational capital in Maths brought from Poland and wanting to do Economics@LSE.

English&English lit, on the other hand, came from a sheer passion and - contrary to many opinions you may hear on TSR - I find it not as challenging as expected.
Original post by QueenOfSabotage
Being Polish I've chosen Maths & Further Maths having some major educational capital in Maths brought from Poland and wanting to do Economics@LSE.

English&English lit, on the other hand, came from a sheer passion and - contrary to many opinions you may hear on TSR - I find it not as challenging as expected.

Is English & English Lit two separate a-levels or a combined a-level? What texts do you cover for literature?

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest