The Student Room Group

I'm at parties about Margaret Thatcher's death

Scroll to see replies

Original post by a729
I was disgusted when I heard there will a big party on Saturday in Trafalgar Square to celebrate her death.

She was a brilliant woman- arguably her simply becoming the most powerful woman in the world meant she more than did her bit for 'feminism'.

She saved Britain.

She was not perfect but she was a much better leader than the ones we have had recently.

It is wrong to celebrate her death

Edit: How can I get negged for saying it's wrong to celebrate a person's death.. I'd post a similar thing if I heard people were celebrating Brown or Blair's death!

She was against feminism! Even tho she was a woman!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chappers-94
She screwed over a hell of a lot of northern english families.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And the Scottish and the Irish and working class people

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 162
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
As a Northerner from a working class family, who's grandfather was a Miner, I can say the extent of her damage was greatly exaggerated.

It was a dying industry which she mercifully put to sleep.

Maybe for you and your family it worked out alright, but I've heard from other people of a similar background that it was awful. I suppose it's over simplistic to say she ruined everything for everyone in the North, but I have no doubt she did do a lot of damage.
Original post by Selnec
Maybe for you and your family it worked out alright, but I've heard from other people of a similar background that it was awful. I suppose it's over simplistic to say she ruined everything for everyone in the North, but I have no doubt she did do a lot of damage.

Certainly she did damage.

But im not petty enough to cry over the damage done to one area of England without looking at what she did for the whole of the country and her entire period in office.
Original post by Jaki_B
I am totally disgusted at the way people are taking her death as something to celebrate. She was a mother, a grandmother, and a great leader. She stood up for the country and had to make tough decisions. She saved the Falklands from being invaded (they didn't want, and still don't want, to be run by Argentina).

One of the worst arguments for her - the Argies went for the falklands because she withdrew all it's bloody defences, t'was her fault there was any need for a war in the first place.

And a great leader? No, just no - she ran large swathes of the country into the ground, harming the livelihoods of the population is not being a great leader, and if you mean she got **** done - so did Pol Pot, Mao, Stalin...

I'd usually not celebrate deaths - even if they were utter scum, they leave behind grieving families who are deserving of respect, even if the deceased isn't - but I'll make an exception for the bitch, the misery and destruction she foisted upon the UK must not be forgotten, out of respect for the countless lives ruined by her government's actions.
Reply 165
Original post by chrissie19913

Posted from TSR Mobile

She didn't need any all women short-lists, she went to the top because she was the best.
She was one of the worst leaders in the history of the world, and anyone who doesn't know that is invariably ignorant on the subject. There's going to be weeks of martyr worship and sympathy vote garnering for the Tories now, and if raising a glass of milk up to show I refuse to buy into it and will judge her as a person rather than an image is the only alternative to silence, then I'm damn well celebrating the woman's death. Quite frankly I doubt she'd give a damn.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by meenu89
She didn't need any all women short-lists, she went to the top because she was the best.

Best to give killing orders? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
She was one of the worst leaders in the history of the world, and anyone who doesn't know that is invariably ignorant on the subject. There's going to be weeks of martyr worship and sympathy vote garnering for the Tories now, and if raising a glass of milk up to show I refuse to buy into it and will judge her as a person rather than an image is the only alternative to silence, then I'm damn well celebrating the woman's death. She was a monster.

Isn't there exaggeration and hype on both sides? Current Tories using her name and reputation? Media treating her uncritically as a secular saint? Nonsense from the left that ignored her real abilities and nonsense from the right exaggerating them?

Not to mention a whole shedload of modern myths like her alleged anti-Europeanism (she was pro-EU) and the supposed role she played in destroying British manufacturing. (It was happily melting before and after her and the good bits have survived and prospered more than many people realise.)

At the same time, some really seriously bad things that developed during Thatcherism, such as a growth in contempt for working class work and the destruction of the prospects of proper work for a whole section of the population, the effects of which continue to this day, are hardly being discussed. The current government are single-mindedly attacking the victims of Thatcherism, distorting the truth about that period and blindly copying a pastiche version of the effective things she did.
Reply 169
And the Scottish and the Irish and working class people

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are Scottish Thatcherites!
"Cannot believe it" is one of them!
Reply 170
Honestly, what she did is done. She's dead for god's sake. Just a little bit of respect for the dead will give us some hope in humanity.
Original post by Kousar
Honestly, what she did is done. She's dead for god's sake. Just a little bit of respect for the dead will give us some hope in humanity.

She wasnt a normal human being tho :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 172

Posted from TSR Mobile

So?

Some feminists want to emancipate men rather then getting equality

I noticed the feminists were quiet when they got equality in terms of car insurance!

Or even worse- some opposed that form of equality
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 173
Best to give killing orders? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Defending Britain and British interests from terrorism.
Reply 174
Original post by ed-
Because there's such a clear causal link :rolleyes:

Actually one could quite easily perform a structural break test for when she got into power and left power and if both are significant, the causal link is pretty clear. Unless you give me something that happened at both those times and could plausibly affect suicide rates. But I doubt that.

If the authors of the study did it properly, then the link is there.

Original post by ed-
I read the first link, thanks.
My point is still valid and yours is still post hoc ergo propter hoc which can show no causal link.

No, your point is not valid. At all.

Original post by ed-
You mean correlation I assume since I'm saying there's no causal link.

There's too much going on at any one time for suicide rates to be attributed to the Prime Minister who happens to be in power at that time.

No, it is quite possible to attribute it to that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 175
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I didn't use offensive language and how is it offensive to suggest that she shouldn't get a state funeral when it now has come out that she herself did not want one??

How is it offensive to say that someone's incapable of showing human compassion when it's clearly true? People are blinded by inherited spite.
It's with things like this that the Left really don't do themselves any favours. What on earth is a party going to achieve? There'll likely be violence, and that will be the headline. If they want to discuss and debate whether Thatcher was right then fine do it. But having parties, picketing her funeral, protests etc all it has done previously, and will in the future, is to show the Left, in the public's eye, as violent and sick thugs who are taking advantage of the death of an old woman. All these parties etc are doing is helping the right score easy political points!
Original post by meenu89
Defending Britain and British interests from terrorism.

Well she didnt always have British interests in her doings did she.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thatcher did what was necessary at the time, the country was on an irreversible decline that previous governments couldn't stop. She stopped it.
Reply 179
She wasnt a normal human being tho :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

She was an excellent one!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending