The Student Room Group

Thinking of a career in the cosmetics industry...any advice?

Hey

I am thinking of going into the cosmetics industry after graduation in a few years, but not as a beauty therapist or makeup artist. I was thinking more of the business side of things, such as retail, PR, advertising, marketing etc.

What advice would you give?
Do you work in this line of work? What is it like?
Do you know of any cosmetic companies who do grad schemes?
What's the best way to get experience in this sort of field?

Thanks.
Reply 1
I've seen a couple of companies like Estée Lauder, Loréal and Yves Rocher offering internships in their PR, Marketing etc departments. Perhaps something to look into :smile:
I work part time for a very well known brand and lots of the pr kinda people have some beauty knowledge so a genuine interest in makeup is necessary ( which I'm sure you have) and most of them seem to have business degrees and the others who don't have worked there way up from working on a counter which would take years id say. Like counter staff you would get your makeup free/ have a monthly makeup allowance and get new products x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chrissie19913
I work part time for a very well known brand and lots of the pr kinda people have some beauty knowledge so a genuine interest in makeup is necessary ( which I'm sure you have) and most of them seem to have business degrees and the others who don't have worked there way up from working on a counter which would take years id say. Like counter staff you would get your makeup free/ have a monthly makeup allowance and get new products x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am studying a social science degree at the moment, would I still be able to get into the industry of makeup marketing/advertising/PR?
Reply 4
Original post by Dee Leigh
I am studying a social science degree at the moment, would I still be able to get into the industry of makeup marketing/advertising/PR?

Have you thought about starting a beauty blog? Some girls do it as hobbies but a lot of women take it up as a serious job, as you can get paid for advertising products on your blog if you can draw in a big audience. I know a few girls such as LLYMLRS have achieved social media representative positions within some cosmetics firms through having a blog. Of course, this is quite rare but if you were to try for a couple of cosmetics jobs, it would be good to show that you've taken an active interest in cosmetics through your blog.
Original post by Dee Leigh

Yes why don't u get a part time job with a makeup company maybe even interning for PR? Or even get job on makeup counter while you study x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by H0ls
Have you thought about starting a beauty blog? Some girls do it as hobbies but a lot of women take it up as a serious job, as you can get paid for advertising products on your blog if you can draw in a big audience. I know a few girls such as LLYMLRS have achieved social media representative positions within some cosmetics firms through having a blog. Of course, this is quite rare but if you were to try for a couple of cosmetics jobs, it would be good to show that you've taken an active interest in cosmetics through your blog.

I'm thinking of doing that! I'm so obsessed with beauty blogs/vlogs! But the market is so saturated with beauty bloggers/vloggers.

I've checked out your blog...I really like it. :smile:
What is a typical day in beauty PR like?

Would I have to work long hours?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending